Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-Introducing meat after 12 years as a vegetarian

• 05-04-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi there
    I have been vegetarian for 12 years and am now trying to re-introduce meat into my diet. I`ve heard that vegetarians stop producing the enzymes necesary to digest meat and am wondering is it possible to get them working again or does that mean I will always have trouble with it?

Im particularly looking for medical opinions and opinions from those who are ex vegetarians and have succeeded in reintroducing meat.

Thanks

Comments

I know someone who did it....the traitor.
    Anyway he horsed into it and gave himself a terrible dose of the squits.
    When he recovered he stuck to chicken and built up from there.

Do you mind me asking why? My friend did it for love apparently.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

[Non-medic who has eaten meat all his life]

I'd say start with small amounts of lean meat and work up slowly. That way, if you have any problems with it you can take it to a doctor before you do yourself any damage/discomfort.

Welcome back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Didn't eat meat myself for ten then went back to it. I didn't have any problems at all, I did eat only small amounts of very lean good quality steak to begin with though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'm an ex-veggie but I don't know if my experience is relevant. I was vegetarian for about 15 years, then I got pregnant and fancied the odd ham sandwich. Then I had the baby and started breastfeeding, and suddenly I wanted meat four times a day, starting with black pudding for breakfast. My poor husband didn't know what had hit him.

Been eating meat ever since, with no problems.

Actually, I don't think your body stops being able to eat meat. There's no reason for that. Just start small.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

if i was in your shoes i'd probably want to binge on a mixed grill or something, not sure if that's wise, but oooooooh it'd feel good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Start small with chicken broth or fry two rashers and give them to someone else and then fry or scramble or make an omlette in the pan with the meat juices still in it so that you body will know that it is protein and gently wean yourself on that way.

Gravy made with mean juices is another good way as well.

I know two people that were veggie for over a decade and now are back eating meat, esp steak just take it easy and let your body adjust and it will start making the enzymes it needs agian.

Don't over to it with anything to heavy or greasey or you may end up throwing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I never went completely veggie in my four years as I ate fish but first time I ate a steak afterwards was horrible so to me Thaedydal's advice sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Like EileenG, I really don't think your body stops being able to digest meat. But as with any major dietry or lifestyle change, even those for the better, things will be shaken up and your body will have to re-adjust. So it's better not to plunge. Give your gut/metabolism/body chemistry a gradual introduction. A bit of chicken here and there, then maybe a thinly sliced steak sandwich after a while. Within a few weeks you'll no doubt be chewing on a nice big lean and rare 16 ounce sirloin steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Heya

Im 18 and have been a vegetarian for 15 years ,made the decison at 3 years old myself!I would find it impossible to go back to eating meat ,maybe for the simple fact that i havent a clue what im missing?

I tried eating meat a few months ago but i couldnt get past the pyscholoigcal aspect of it ,it was just to hard and i was wondering if anyone else has managed to change back to eating meat after almost 2 deacades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Read my post (above). I was vegetarian for 15 years, then got pregnant and wanted the odd bit of meat (toasted ham sandwich, that sort of thing). As soon as the baby was born and I started breastfeeding, I wanted meat four times a day. Real meat, steak and black pudding, and if my husband didn't give it to me (cause he went veggie when he married me, and wasn't used to cooking meat), I was ready to eat HIM. It wasn't a lifestyle choice, it was a case of NEEDING meat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement