Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 525d

Options
  • 05-04-2008 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Was looking at importing one of these from england as they seem to be excellent value. Was looking at a 02 model. Has anyone had one or have any advise in relation to them?? Anyone know a good BMW garage to buy from in the UK (as close as possible to holyhead)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Why near Holyhead? Why don't you fly over to where ever, drive the car back to Holyhead. A lot of garages will arrange for you to be collected frm the airport and brought to collect your car. I bought a petrol 525i 2002, so I can't comment on the diesel engine but the rest of the car is everything I hoped it would be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

if i was considering a 525D, i ould be pushing more for the 530D.
    not much more to buy, tax and insure or on diesel.

my opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That shape 5 series(i.e. the E39 5 series) was never sold as a 525d here. You'd have fun trying to get it serviced here I'd imagine. I'd also suggest the 530d, or else the 525i, or if costs are a concern, then the 520i. There are plenty of 520is and 530ds(520is in particular) around in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a friend of mine bought one here a few years ago. Bloody nice car - don't agree the 530 is worth the extra car, though - the difference would pay your insurance for the whole year...........it's not as if the 525d is under-powered, or anything.

Like all BeeEmms' of that age, things that can go 'pop' include turbo, airbag ECU, MAF - you'll note that none of these items are exactly in the LIDL price range........

Also, depreciates like a stone. A smaller stone than a 530, I'll grant you, but a stone none the less...........if you buy at the bottom - a good car, mind, not a cheap-cheap one - and your happy with €800 p.a. tax, it's a good car, and is a lovely drive.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭inspiron6000

In relation to the garage, I dont really mind once its reputable.

Was looking at a diesel for the mgp and life of the engine and think ill safe alot importing one.

Didnt no about that model not being sold here, will this be a big problem?

Not to worried bout the depreciation as hopefully drive it for 2 - 3 years and saving the few quid would offset this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You'll have no problem selling it down the road, if you have a sensible price.

As for engine longevity - actually, this is the item least likely to give trouble in that car. It's all the other stuff !!

If you're keeping it for only 2 years you might find depreciation a little steep. 3 years would be better.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

If that's the straight-6 2.5 diesel that BMW used in the 52TDS in the late 90s, then it's a cracker !

I had a '95 Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD CDX for a couple of years and it was a *fab* car - the secret being that Vauxhall used the BMW engine - powerful, smooth and quiet (nice little buzz off it). Only thing was that the oil-change interval was 4,500 miles. If services were missed, apparently the engine would break its timing chain or something similarly drastic. Range Rovers also used the same engine.

If the rest of the car is good, then it's a great choice :)

Advertisement