Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which european city to live in for 2 months in the summer?

• 05-04-2008 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

hey!!me and my mates where planning on heading over to canada but that fell through due to some of the lads lacknig in money.so where either thinking thailand or just live in a european city for a few months.im thinking berlin but just want to here any other peoples suggestions...based on if its a nice city...people...gotta hav a great night life..lots of things to do so we dont get bored...lots of jobs and stuff like that??big help thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Rome. Lyon(?). Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Go with Berlin. You'll have to be a bit open-minded when it comes to jobs, but the place is cheap. Plenty to do.

Failing that, Amsterdam (not great fro jobs at the moment from what I hear, though)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

i would recommend Rome ... plenty of jobs i found even in the off-peak-season which is a good sign...The night-life is unreal, some places never even close...I found the people real helpful and some polite of all the cities i've travelled to its the only one where i felt i would move to if i had the opportunity...

but like everything else...whats for one may not be for another...you make of it what you like...the people won't just take you in without and effort on your part...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Cologne in Germany. Spent a summer there a few years ago and it was one of the best summers I've ever had. Work wasn't easy to get but you can live very cheaply all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

kerry4sam wrote: »
    i would recommend Rome ... plenty of jobs i found even in the off-peak-season which is a good sign...The night-life is unreal, some places never even close...I found the people real helpful and some polite of all the cities i've travelled to its the only one where i felt i would move to if i had the opportunity...

but like everything else...whats for one may not be for another...you make of it what you like...the people won't just take you in without and effort on your part...

My brother lived there, he liked it but said that rent is very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

do u speak any European languages? id love to live in krakow but not having polish would prob be a deterrent... maybe it wouldnt be such an issue in Rome or Barcelona though....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Oh wait... go to Munich, amazingly friendly people, lovely weather and BEEEEEEER everywhere! definitely munich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Biarittz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gemmz

Barcelona
    without a doubt, this city has it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I'm doing the same, though from early May till late August, in Berlin.

Was quite open minded when trying to figure out where I was gonna go, but decided to go to Berlin as i've heard nothing but good things. (i'm going by myself and use it as a base for a bit of country hopping and festival hunting)

I've never been in Germany before, no german. Apparantly you'll easily get by without german, jobs are easily got, cheap (rent, life and living), and apparantly "it's the best european city" - heard that from loads of people and "as good as the Dam without the greasy public front". Ive been there a couple of times so can't wait for Berlin.

If I remember, i'll post up here when i'm settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

conZ wrote: »
    I'm doing the same, though from early May till late August, in Berlin.

Was quite open minded when trying to figure out where I was gonna go, but decided to go to Berlin as i've heard nothing but good things. (i'm going by myself and use it as a base for a bit of country hopping and festival hunting)

I've never been in Germany before, no german. Apparantly you'll easily get by without german, jobs are easily got, cheap (rent, life and living), and apparantly "it's the best european city" - heard that from loads of people and "as good as the Dam without the greasy public front". Ive been there a couple of times so can't wait for Berlin.

If I remember, i'll post up here when i'm settled.

I'd stilll learn a bit of German. Even basic converstaion bits and being able to introducae and talk about yourself to show you've made the effort will go down welll on a job hunt.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MarkWex

I'm flying out to Berlin by myself on May 6th. Have 6 nights booked in a hostel but no job or accommodation really sorted yet. My german is a decent leaving cert level but I haven't spoken it in about 2 years, so will have to brush up before I go.

My main (only) worry is finding a job. From reading this thread and others online it looks like it might be hard to get one. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success on the job front in Berlin before? Apart from trying the Irish bars I've no real plan. Don't wanna have to be flying home after a month!

Oh. And first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mygsy

if ya happen to speak french come to toulouse...itz feckin'deadly:)

Advertisement