Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alen Carr?

• 05-04-2008 2:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Defintely, I read the book (The Easyway to Stop Smoking) about 4 years ago and gave up for about 2 weeks and went back on them. I guess I wasnt serious about it then. BUT, about 2 years ago I went back to read it and since then I havnt smoked since. It has been the best thing I have ever done and I would never, ever go back to what I was like. I would 100% recommend giving it another go. Good luck - trust me if I can do it (20 smokes a day for 9 years) anyone can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lance111

I give up with his CD ROM, I found it really good... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 crazycatlady

Allan Carr's book "The easy way to give up Smoking" only works if you're at that stage where you really want to be a non-smoker.
    I was coughing like a ninety year old man in the mornings and I was only 24. I read that book and have'nt smoked in over 3 years. I cant even be in the same room as someone smoking now, I dislike them so much. I was determined to give up and would have believed anything Allan Carr told me. If you're serious about giving up, you'll let the book "brainwash" you out of smoking.
    He has another book out now " How to Stop Smoking Permanently", if you do slip back into smoking after reading his first book.

Best of Luck...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm half wat through the "easy way" book and have found it to be really good.
    I've found myself more determined than ever to quit.
    40 a day and I've been smoking for 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I gave up by listening to the audio book 6 cd pack. Just put it on my ipod and chilled out for the day. That was 3 months ago. Some days I want to pick up a smoke but i know if I do then that one smoke is going to cost me hundreds of euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Book is good.
    It works.
    All you have to do is read it.
    You can keep smoking while you read.

At the end you will stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I attended the Carr clinic two months ago. It was €280 I think, and lasted for 6 hours. I wanted to give up smoking going to the course, but was not militant about it, e.g. I realised they were costing me money, health etc, but had not made any concerted effort to give them up in the past.

The course was a revelation. I'm a very sceptical person, but I left this at the door, and said "to hell, I'll believe everything I'm told in here". You get ample smoke breaks throughout the course, the trainer kept the course light and breezy.

I walked out the door 6 hours later, and am now a non-smoker. One of the easiest things I ever did. I have been to concerts, watched Liverpool matches, played golf, all things I would have associated with a Benson in the past. Changed none of my daily routines, e.g still drinking tea and coffee. Gone from a 20 a day, 40 a day when going out, to nothing.

My colleagues say I was slightly short and cranky with them for the first two weeks. I didn't notice this myself. I AM eating more, and my consumption of alcohol has gone up. This has leveled out in the past two weeks though, so it seemed to have been a temporary thing.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Went to the Allan Carr Clinic 4 years ago and I am still a non smoker and will be forever! So glad to be off them but the best thing about it was the fact that you don't miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Read the easy way to stop smoking. The 'only way' is like a bleedin novel.

I went to his seminar too and also went to the two back up sessions. I found it brill but I smoked after a week or so. I gave in far too easy. But if you're serious about quitting, then i'd give the seminar a try.

I'm since and only recently smoke free. Willpower and nicotine gum for 1 week. Its 3 weeks today. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Did the clinic about 18 months ago
    and haven't smoked since.
    I think you *really* have to want to give up but
    if you do i would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Read the "easyway" 4 years ago.
    I had tried and failed so often i resorted to reading a book with little belief in any good outcome..
    Once you relax into the book and read it with an open mind, it really lays out all the cons about smoking.
    A life changing moment when i coughed and spluttered on my last cigarrette,it was revolting.
    I haven't smoked since and highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Puddle-Jumper

I read it and actually went from loving smoking to dispising it quite alot. I just quit myself and aside from the odd moment of weakness where I have remind myself of the benefits etc I haven't had a problem yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

I read Allen Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking once then half way through the second reading I couldn't wait to stop! And I did! That was a few months before the smoking ban and I haven't touched one since. Nor do I want to.

Highly recommend it but you must be at the stage where you really want to do something about stopping. The great thing about the Allen Carr method is that it removes the psychological addiction to smoking.

Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

Would it be suitable to read for someone who is off them 4 months but struggling? I got really drunk at the weekend and smoked. It was vile, not remotely enjoyable and made me really really sick. However, I'm afraid I'll forget that, and do the saem thing again in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

sasser wrote: »
    Would it be suitable to read for someone who is off them 4 months but struggling? I got really drunk at the weekend and smoked. It was vile, not remotely enjoyable and made me really really sick. However, I'm afraid I'll forget that, and do the saem thing again in a while.
    I gave them up before and am about to do so again soon.
    Personally I found the book hard but only because the font/print size was small.
    The CD Rom Alan Carr is great but found myself listening to it a lot at the start but found it good.
    I believe that there are Alan Carr clinics available also and a few colleagues have used them in the past with success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

sasser wrote: »
    Definitely read the book - Carr encourages readers not to give away their copy of the book even if they are initially successful so they can top-up on their resolve if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kelcol

I am going to his clinic next month delighted to hear all the success you have had. I hope it will work for me, funny really The Fear you get when you know its time to quit....

Advertisement