Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with training

• 05-04-2008 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I have been training since January and have got myself up to running for about 40mins none stop not to bad I think since I couldn’t run for 2 in Jan but I have hit a wall and cant get myself pass the 40 mins I have run for 1h 10mins but have had to stop twice. I try and run 3 times a week and swim twice

Has anyone got any tips for me or do I just need to keep plugging away at it.

Do I need to run less time at a faster pace?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

There is nothing wrong with stopping if you really have to, but can you tell me what happens at the 40min mark? I would really expect someone to be able to last longer by this stage. I may be wrong but the first thing that struck me was that you might be hitting more of a psychological barrier than a physical one.

Also what are your personal goals with running is there something you want to achieve, 10k, half-marathon, marathon etc? It gives a sense of how far you want to be able to run. What type of distance do you cover in the 40 mins, personally I would suggest just adding 5mins every week for a week or two and see how you get on. I no good at the science bit but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you that side of things. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

<
    Not expert but is this road running or treadmilling? I find I lose the will the keep running when I'm on a treadmill and I hit the 30 min mark but when I'm out busily wrecking my knees on the streets I can go way past this mark without a bother.

I also prefer running without a watch otherwise I'm looking at it and every minute can be an hour on some days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Have you tried working in terms of distances rather than time?

Also if covering a particular distance there's no harm in taking walk breaks. You'll probably find you need to at first when/if you up your distances, but the need should gradually reduce over time.

If you are running 40 minutes now do you find you are covering more ground/distance each week? Perhaps you are just running faster to the 40 minute mark as you get fitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I ran 10k two weeks ago and that took me about an hour or so with walking breaks I’m going to try it now and see if I can do it all in one I have been doing a lot f C V work in the pool and on the bike in the gym so hope I can. Ill post how I get on later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭finlma

If you're planning a long run then go at a slower pace. You're probably just running to quickly and tiring yourself out. If you slow the pace just a small bit you'll find that you'll last much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Well just done it ran for 56 mins without stopping just under 10k can’t wait to get out again and try for longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

My suggestion is to enter a race say a 5 miler or 10k. Having a target to train for works for me.

Also bring along some music if it safe to do so. Another suggestion is to change your training location or try something different.

Geld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yogidc26 wrote: »
    Well just done it ran for 56 mins without stopping just under 10k can’t wait to get out again and try for longer

Congrats!

Advertisement