Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gardening book

Options
  • 05-04-2008 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good general book/encyclopedia (??) on gardening?
    I recently saw a big B&Q book in easons which looked good and covered a lot of areas.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

It depends on whether or not you want serious books to help you plan, maintain a garden or just a coffee-table book.

Presuming you are keen on gardening, then I would suggest you buy two books.

1. The Royal Horticultural Society Gardeners' Encyclopedia - Plants and Flowers. It is an excellent reference book with all kinds of plants/trees colour/type coded, with brief descriptions outlining the plants eventual size, growing requirements, flowering period etc. It is a reasonably expensive book but it will last a life-time. Well worth it.

2. The Reader's Digest 'The Gardening Year' - which is basically a 'how-to' book explaining everything from lawn care, planting seeds, pruning, pest-control etc. It is broken down into months - so shows you what to do in say April, but there are also good general sections covering topics like improving drainage etc. Again I think you will find it will be an excellent working book.

I have quite a few gardening books, but these are the two I keep coming back to. I check out plants in the 'Plants and Flowers' book before I buy them to see if they are suitable for my garden.

In the long-run having this kind of knowledge will save you many euros by making sure you don't waste money buying unsuitable plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Thanks for the advice,
    Wont be putting loads of work into the garden until a couple of years, just wanted info on putting up a fence, growing some bushes around the surrounding fence and growing some grass.
    So it is pretty basic stuff that im after for the moment,
    thanks again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I always recommend Books by Dr D.G Hessayon.

I bought the first one when I was about fourteen years old it was The gardening expert. This explains about the basics of soil and planting, as you move on to different types of plants you can buy his books on them
    from flowers to shrubs to trees and vegetables.

Take a look at them in your local library before you buy and see if they suit...

Buy them online from amazon as they are much more reasonable than in book shops...

Advertisement