Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the bus strike about on Friday morning?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just curious as to whether anyone got any info on what the Bus Eireann dispute on the morning of 04/04/2008 was about?:confused:

I really shouldn't moan about it since it was the first one of this year but comeon! Last year almost had me seeing red the amount of times that it happened...

Fair enough that they're ina union and have the right to strike and air their grievances, but surely it's unreasonable to strike with absolutely no warning???:confused:

The only way we found out (just the people at this particular bus stop) was that one of us actually rang up the station.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its all about money, they're earning a couple of euro less an hour than regular drivers, and getting less benefits. From the Limerick Post Website:
    The action was taken by part-time drivers who are demanding higher wages. The drivers currently earn 11.66 euro per hour and receive no pension, sick pay or overtime rates.

They are seeking parity with other Bus Eireann drivers who receive between 13.15 euro and 15.23 euro per hour.

Full article here: http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=8715&category=Daily-Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I cycled past them while they were waving about their official action signs outside the bus warehouse thingy. They all looked like Paulie from Rocky. Talk about a live stereotype.

Advertisement