Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow, thunderstorms and ice this Weekend

Options
  • 05-04-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Ya had your fun over the last 2 days with lovely mild, sunny, Spring weather but were still in April and the weather can still turn very cold.

Tonight, Sunday and Monday and to a less extent much of next week are going to see some extremely cold April weather.

Snowfall is likely and it can be expected to ly overnight in places.

850hpa temperatures are expected to fall between -6 and -10c over the weekend with a really cold 500hpa temperature profile, down to -40c for a time over the Irish sea.

As for the weather forecast i will give a brief outline.

Today, Saturday the cold air will push south infact the cold upper air is already well south, tonight a sharp frost will occur and heavy wintry showers will start to effect northern and northwestern coasts.

Winds during this cold spell will be straight north perhaps Northeast at times and this will begin to favour Eastern areas for snowfall.

Later tonight and into early hours of Sunday a trough is expected to push down the Irish sea and this could clip the eastern seaboard during the night giving heavy snow and accumalations of snow!

During Sunday this really cold air will be established with maxima occasionally reach 5 or 6c but more regularly lying between 2-4c, heavy hail and snow showers will gather and become widespread with localised thunderstorms possible driven by the convection that will be forming over land tomorrow.

Sunday night will be exceptionally cold with snow showers continuing along the eastern and northern coasts, temperatures will plummet to -6 or -7c in places with lying snow likely.

Monday will be another bitter day and much like Sunday although showers perhaps turning less snowy in the north towards evening, another sharp frost with minima down to -5c.

All in all an exceptional blast of cold in early April :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

UW36-594.GIF

Could be interesting on the east coast.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

An excellent forecast. :D
    Some people are going to be shocked after the weather of the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Interesting fax, winds definitely off east here at the moment

brack0.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If these charts came off mid January, I'd love to know what temperatures we would have got for day and night time and how much more the snow would have stuck.

i'd say close to zero all day, with temperatures of - 4 or -5 at night, and 6- 10 inches of lying snow at lower level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

All in all an exceptional blast of cold in early April :D:D

Is it...? Blizzards! -10c. Unfortunately for me that forecast claims it is all happening in the east. Why does the west always miss out...:mad:

snot fair.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Is it...? Blizzards! -10c. Unfortunately for me that forecast claims it is all happening in the east. Why does the west always miss out...:mad:

snot fair.:mad:

Short memory bud. Or sarcasm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I dont think the East will see much snow out of this. 2 reasons - firstly the wind direction - it is directly North or slightly East of North so the heaviest inland convective showers will not effect the East. Secondly its not a windward enough direction for showers off the Irish sea. I think there will be a rain shadow over the East for the next couple of days.

Later tonight something may occur but its likely to be very early in the morning and not particularly heavy. Could give a dusting.

Other areas look set to see some snow though. The North, West and Midlands look good for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

We've had a few hail showers here today and the odd snowflake.

Evelyn just gave an excellent forecast:D
    Snow, hail and thunder. What more could a weather aficionado want:)

I feel sympathy for all the people who want warm weather:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

She is quite the ramper when it comes to baltic conditions.
    However she did not say snow accumulations, little features/disturbances or risk of prolonged snow etc etc.

She did show temps of 5-7c for tomorrow, not great for snow settling is it.Obvious temp drop in showers but cant see anything significant out of this.Temperature fluctuating up and down somewhat between showers too.
    Still think a few TS's will break out.

well, to be honest i wasnt expecting any accumulations out of this at lower level. Just to see some heavy snowfall at this time of year will be enough for me.

Snowbie wrote: »
    She is quite the ramper when it comes to baltic conditions.
    However she did not say snow accumulations, little features/disturbances or risk of prolonged snow etc etc.

She did show temps of 5-7c for tomorrow, not great for snow settling is it.Obvious temp drop in showers but cant see anything significant out of this.Temperature fluctuating up and down somewhat between showers too.
    Still think a few TS's will break out.

I agree, Evelyn always makes a forecast interesting, as she throws in charts and stats others rarely do. Agree also that daytime temps don't really favour lying snow on a huge scale. I am not sure why, but I can't see this as being a great snow event either. I do think it the next few days are good for reasonable warmth in any sunshine, but with the threat of heavy showers with possible thunder. Hit and miss jobs as usual, depending on frequency of imbeded troughs.

Edit: Not gospel, I could be equally be as wrong..!

Following on from my last post - quite an active trough has developed just West of Scotland - perhaps I was being a bit premature.;)

Just had a nice snow shower that lasted about 20 minutes and is lying on the cars and gardens. Pity it wasn't January.

smashey wrote: »
    Just had a nice snow shower that lasted about 20 minutes and is lying on the cars and gardens. Pity it wasn't January.

You in England or Ireland?

darkman2 wrote: »
    You in England or Ireland?
    Donegal/Tyrone. :D

Was outside Lifford there and the snow was quite heavy while driving to Strabane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

That big clump on NW Scotland looks tasty and movin our way:D
    Could leave a good dumping:p

revr wrote: »
    That big clump on NW Scotland looks tasty and movin our way:D
    Could leave a good dumping:p

Please.

• Advertisement

Right in the firing line. :)

But, experience tells me to go to bed and expect rain in the morning. ;)

Right in the firing line. :)

But, experience tells me to go to bed and expect rain in the morning. ;)

Well I had a shower of hail 15mins ago and I at sea level as low as you can get.

Unfortunately the showers are not getting much further south than the border. Little clump over Fermanagh is decaying rapidly over cold land.

The showers over W Scotland i mentioned earlier has become an organised trough and is moving quickly south.Should hit the nothern coastline between 3 and 4am.

I agree, Evelyn always makes a forecast interesting, as she throws in charts and stats others rarely do. Agree also that daytime temps don't really favour lying snow on a huge scale. I am not sure why, but I can't see this as being a great snow event either. I do think it the next few days are good for reasonable warmth in any sunshine, but with the threat of heavy showers with possible thunder. Hit and miss jobs as usual, depending on frequency of imbeded troughs.

Edit: Not gospel, I could be equally be as wrong..!

Paddy1, in my experience Galwegians are rarely, if ever, wrong.:p

just had a heavy snow shower that lasted 15 minutes. None of it stuck, though. the conditions seemed perfect for it to stick but it didn't. So, if it's not sticking at night on dry ground, there is not a chance it will stick tomorrow.

just had a heavy snow shower that last 15 minutes. None of it stuck, though. the conditions seemed perfect for it to stick but it didn't. So, if it's not sticking at night on dry ground, there is not a chance it will stick tomorrow.
    Any idea of your air temp is? Also as we had a few days of warmth, the ground temps are still probably high(will fall back abit during the night though)

That heavy snow shower is passing here now, and it is sticking!!!

Edit: easing down now, a thin covering on roofs and cars. roads just wettened. Don't know where that shower came from, the radar looks pretty clear.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Any idea of your air temp is? Also as we had a few days of warmth, the ground temps are still probably high(will fall back abit during the night though)

It's 0.9 now.

That heavy snow shower is passing here now, and it is sticking!!!

Edit: easing down now, a thin covering on roofs and cars. roads just wettened. Don't know where that shower came from, the radar looks pretty clear.

yes, it seemed like it came out of the blue. the radio forecast at 12 mentioned showers were just getting into Ulster.

yes, it seemed like it came out of the blue. the radio forecast at 12 mentioned showers were just getting into Ulster.

Just looked at the radar, it seems they just developed over north Mayo, so convection is occuring, even at this stage of the evening. Who knows, as that trough which is expected to run down the eastern side of Ireland, it just might pep up showers on this side!!

• Advertisement

Another clump this time bigger has just been exported from the north,currently over Monaghan this will survive south a bit, making a beeline right for RC28 and GONZO in Meath.

Advertisement