Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow, thunderstorms and ice this Weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Looks like England got a nice dumping, even London got a few cm's which is really rare at anytime of the year, let alone April!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7332986.stm Play the video that comes with that article.
    Loads of webcams from london;
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/webcams/440334.shtml
    Most of the snow has melted in the city centre but you can still see it on the cars and on roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

@ BB, the tail end of the trough has peped up in the north Irish sea but just staying offshore. Wind is NW which has backed from North direction.
    Light soft hail here atm. Wicklow head looks likely to get the heavier part of the shower thats just east of Howth. It does have a SSW motion to it and could get as far south as you. It is intensifying over the sea.

In the meantime, there is some showers have drifted down over the Mourne Mtns and is moving south too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Definately looks to be a slight NE element to the wind now, lots of stuff over the Irish sea..game on if that keeps up :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Snowbie wrote: »
    Light soft hail here atm. Wicklow head looks likely to get the heavier part of the shower thats just east of Howth. It does have a SSW motion to it and could get as far south as you. It is intensifying over the sea.
    I have soft hail here at the moment.
    Dewpoint is almost -1c
    RH is 57% .
    Wind is all over the place.
    Sometimes NW and sometimes NE.. And no I haven't attached the wind vain to a flag :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Blizzard conditions here now!!:D

• Advertisement

Winds are defo NW with showers moving in from the NE and what looks like some small development or convergence zone over the Irish sea. Watchin this for awhile now and has got its act together.

Heavy hard hail now

Another big shower has developed off the Down coast and has this kids name on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Snowbie wrote: »
    Another big shower has developed off the Down coast and has this kids name on it.

Caught the edge of that a while ago, a curtain of sleety hail that passed pretty quickly.

I was up for a hangover cure about 5am, looked out the window and the whole street including main road was covered in snow and some slush....got up again at 10 and it's like it never happened. Strange that usually after a thaw it feels damp and cold, but I was out earlier and it feels dry and cold....I'd say anything that falls this afternoon will lie, perhaps in coastal areas only after dark...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Got a few hail stones, but nothing more
    6C Dp+2C

• Advertisement

Sleety hail on and off here.
    Nothing much to write home about other than it's nuisance effect.
    Theres quite a howl to the wind with it.
    5.7c dp 0.9c

Miserably cold, had some sleety rain and bits of hail briefly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Howdy, missed the snow Snowbie! stayed out in town! darn darn darn.

Do you have pics??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Getting some mad hail showers here but everything disappears after a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Woke up at 7.30 looked outside it was dry, cold, and blustery fell asleep woke again at 10.30 and it was a winter wonderland. :D At the moment its brewing a gale with sun shinning.

http://www.iverweather.co.uk/countryfile.wmv

Not too terribly exciting-morphing into exclusively cold rain away from djouce and the like by the middle and end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

6mm hail.

Been more than a year since seeing hail this large.

Ditto down here,though,I didn't go measure the hail.
    The whole place is white after it.
    5.4c

According to the farming forecast the showers will be of rain and hail during the day from now on.

chump wrote: »
    Howdy, missed the snow Snowbie! stayed out in town! darn darn darn.

Do you have pics??
    [thread=2055269736]Weather pics[/thread]

All the showers have just bypassed here recently but some more convecting over the N Irish sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I see we've gone red
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp
    Light snow shower just now. Birthday Snow!!!

I'm going to describe whats falling here for the last 10 minutes as a mixture of soft hail and a few snow flakes.
    It sure looks like snow blowing in a strong wind from the north northeast.
    4.6c dp 0.1c

Light hail
    6.7c
    Dp 1.2c
    Wind has now gone into the NNE

Happy snow birthday trogdor

So Jean was wrong. Damn her for giving a Negative forecast like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

A big hail shower just passed, brief but impressive. gave quite a covering. temp fell from 9.1c to 6.7c. No thunder to report, which would be my first love at this time of year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Had insane snow last night in Wolverhampton and a bit today. Couldn't see infront of your face.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i heard there was a tiny dusting of snow on ground this morning but i wasnt up in time for it. had 2 hail showers so far today, nothing much to report so far.

No impressive convection going on today, what went wrong? What should we expect tonight?

Just a couple of crappy rain and sleet showers this afternoon for us:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a 5 minute snow shower about half an hour ago

Advertisement