Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow, thunderstorms and ice this Weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

very heavy hail shower right now being driven along on a strong wind. temperature is down to 3.0c in the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

A very light snow shower here, with a blue sky overhead:confused: Irish weather eh...
    Some big looking showers towards the northern horizon. I am sure Nacho must be under one of them by now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Also, it looks like the showers maybe be prolonged from now on. Earlier on the clouds were breaking up all the time.

The hail has just turned to snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Shower has just passed here bringing a mni blizzard. Temp dropped 3.0 in 2 minutes. now 2.6c. Brightning up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

MetO forecasting band of snow to push down from the north over night effecting the east coast and southeast!!:D:D:D

uk_cloudrain_08040706.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks like a cold wet week!! Not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Going to be hit an miss, with the wind off shore i think its just going to be a frosty east coast night.

We were very very close to something special.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

We just had a little snow shower here. Lovely soft flakes in the sunshine. Yep, sun shining and snow falling. Whatever next?

Longfield wrote: »
    Going to be hit an miss, with the wind off shore i think its just going to be a frosty east coast night.

We were very very close to something special.

The wind off the sea does not look like it is necessary in this case, this is organised trough feature that is forecast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

snowing in galway city at the moment, not too heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

@ Longfield, the wind has backed into the NW and sometimes it is in West of NW, which is indicating a trough approaching, and then i found this moving onshore NI;)

Some convection left in the day so that band should move abit south untill it reaches Dublin and fizzles out:rolleyes: but you never know

Snowbie wrote: »
    @ Longfield, the wind has backed into the NW and sometimes it is in West of NW, which is indicating a trough approaching, and then i found this moving onshore NI;)

Some convection left in the day so that band should move abit south untill it reaches Dublin and fizzles out:rolleyes: but you never know

Yea, i wonder is this the one due to be sitting on the south coast by 6am tomorrow?

Looks abit early, although maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You can already see the more organised stuff marching S from the N Antrim coast...has moved in from W scotland since this afternoon.
    With the speed it's covered that distance in, I could see it impacting my locale (N Louth) by about 9pm. Lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Interesting trough that looks active coming into the North - 1 of 2 things is going to happen - a fluke trough that will die out soon, or an unforseen 'event' pushing south that could even invigorate activity over the Irish sea. I reckon the former is more likely and in any case precip atm is not only snow reflecting that temperatures are still the wrong side of marginal. But you never know!

Trough has maintained its intensity and is just reaching the border now.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

It seems to be increasing it's intensity a bit on it's southern flank.
    No point in looking at the met.ie radar for this as it's not resolute enough)
    Snowbie should be see'ing it on NW though.

Worth bearing in mind again that the radar is very bad with snow as it over estimates intensity and frequently picks up stuff that doesn't hit the ground in those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Had a brilliant heavy(at times)snow shower here for last 15 mins. It's finished now but was beautiful with the orange light of the sun, odd for it to be so bright, so late and also snowing- very rare for April.
    2.8c
    EDIT: Dosn't appear to be showing up on the radar?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

It seems to be increasing it's intensity a bit on it's southern flank.
    No point in looking at the met.ie radar for this as it's not resolute enough)
    Snowbie should be see'ing it on NW though.

Worth bearing in mind again that the radar is very bad with snow as it over estimates intensity and frequently picks up stuff that doesn't hit the ground in those situations.

My first thought on looking at it a few minutes ago is that it has actually weakened and narrowed - despite a little flare in intensity - those reds can literally disappear in the space of 5 minutes. Although id imagine that is exceptionally heavy snow if the red is correct. Though as you say anaprop is a problem in these situations as we have seen over the years.

BTW this is the trough at 8:00 - you can see it off the North coast - winds going northeasterly after and thats the chance for the East coast I reckon.

3hr-rain.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

This is my first winter since I joined boards where I actually have not followed any cold/snow events until I have heard a mention in the forecast, maybe tonight will deliver :pac: Then I want to move on to summer weather and tackle my garden. :)

rc28 wrote: »
    Had a brilliant heavy(at times)snow shower here for last 15 mins. It's finished now but was beautiful with the orange light of the sun, odd for it to be so bright, so late and also snowing- very rare for April.
    2.8c
    EDIT: Dosn't appear to be showing up on the radar?
    There you go young fella. It was much more intense about 15 miles north of you.

• Advertisement

There you go young fella. It was much more intense about 15 miles north of you.

Actually, comparing that with google earth- it corresponds to my location (Dunshaughlin). There is still some flakes on the grass and cars.

That band of precip heading south seems to be weakening judging by the last few NW extra echoes.hiradarzoomv4.png

darkman2 wrote:
    My first thought on looking at it a few minutes ago is that it has actually weakened and narrowed - despite a little flare in intensity - those reds can literally disappear in the space of 5 minutes. Although id imagine that is exceptionally heavy snow if the red is correct. Though as you say anaprop is a problem in these situations as we have seen over the years.
    You should never expect the intensity over the north to be the exact intensity as it moves south, we all know that never happens unless its a small meso circulation. I see similar to what happened last nights trough playing the playback on the radar but this is moving much quicker and also is alot deeper(wider from S-N).
    Interesting next few hours.

You should never expect the intensity over the north to be the exact intensity as it moves south.

Trust me, I dont;)

Latest image suggests that it has not crossed the border yet - and has probrably weakened slightly again though it could still make it in weakened form. Also the first tentative signs of development in the Irish sea?

Can see the outer band of altostratus from the trough illuminated a few mins ago on the horizon.

Can see the outer band of altostratus from the trough illuminated a few mins ago on the horizon.

Some other good news - Dublin Airport reporting just 1C now - anything that falls here would be snow at this stage and is pretty likely to settle. Thats a 2C drop in one hour. Also the GFS has not picked up this feature at all for the North of the country.

Belfast aldergrove airport has been reporting light snow at 8 20pm from that trough and 1c with a dp of 0c

It started as rain though and turned to snow which it has been doing for an hour now by the looks of things.

Heres the data

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGAA/2008/4/6/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Much weaker now on radar. Probrably wont make it at this rate. Unless it props up after the Mournes.

Yea she has been weakened,

I don't think that is actually the trough that is forecast though.

The forecast trough clips southeast NI and moves SSW moving inland.

Im gonna draw a map.

Its expected here around 3am

• Advertisement

snowareada2.jpg

Advertisement