Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow, thunderstorms and ice this Weekend

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yeah it is very weak atm - not much happening over the Irish sea - it would want to prop up soon. Due to cloud cover temp at Dublin Airport up to 1C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just low level stratus here now and appears that trough has broken up over the sea.
    Look good for awhile as all conditions or potential where just perfect.
    Should be some decent depths of snow up in the north and nw likewise the UK.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Just low level stratus here now and appears that trough has broken up over the sea.
    Look good for awhile as all conditions or potential where just perfect.
    Should be some decent depths of snow up in the north and nw likewise the UK.

I wouldnt rule it out yet. Development (at least according to the UKMO radar) east of Dublin which seems to have an ESE track. Unless you have access to more up to date radar?

darkman2 wrote: »
    I wouldnt rule it out yet. Development (at least according to the UKMO radar) east of Dublin which seems to have an ESE track. Unless you have access to more up to date radar?
    You mean WSW. I use the NW 5min radar. Always a chance of a re-generation but i wont hold my breath.

Snowbie wrote: »
    You mean WSW.

lol yes....

;)

Mayo and other parts of the west are getting absolutely plastered. A few inches by the morning id say.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    lol yes....

;)

Mayo and other parts of the west are getting absolutely plastered. A few inches by the morning id say.
    Yep and there not done with it yet. Another clump to move into Mayo too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not even the precip from earlier is frozen on the car, wind has died. Everything that comes within range disipates or backs W.
    Another non-event in the NE...
    Prolly get some black ice by morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder is paddyone lost in a snowdrift:)

Nacho how much snow do you have there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Don't worry Nacho, you Mayo people took the best of whats going before you slung us humble Galwegians the left overs! A nice covering though to be had all the same, I am just sickened that I was away by the coast so I did not witness it. The irony. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think its safe to say thats it for the East tonight. The Northwest will have heavy snow showers for the next few hours. Driving conditions attrocious in the morning. There will be snow tomorrow in heavy showers until evening then its back to rain. I suspect the East will be similar tomorrow as it was today. Most likely tomorrow will be the last snow most will see till next Winter but it will remain cool and unsettled for the forseeable future. However, despite northerlies the polar cold pools are decaying fast at this time of year so there really should not be any notable cold snap after this. Still no hint of summer just yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Heavy snow outside here now! Temp 0.6c. Looks like showers developed over the Irish sea and moved in over Dublin/Wicklow. Any snow in Dublin?

A

A couple of sleety showers here (in Tallaght), that's all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Had a bit of snow 2 hours ago in leixlip....not heavy enough to stick to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Heavy snow here in Graignamanagh at the moment. And its sticking. :)

arctictree wrote: »
    Heavy snow outside here now! Temp 0.6c. Looks like showers developed over the Irish sea and moved in over Dublin/Wicklow. Any snow in Dublin?

A
    Theres about an inch of settled snow down here so far.A proper winter wonderland

Nice sunrise here in Tallaght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Theres about an inch of settled snow down here so far.A proper winter wonderland

Enjoy. I have a nice wet ground here:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

A thin covering on the cars here, 1.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wexford town is covered! im gonna go for a walk and maybe get some pics up :D:D Woooooo!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Waterford is covered still snowing now and its sticking :D:D

WALKING IN A WINTER WONDERLAND..... finally...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,574 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Today, I think the dominant theme will be hail with thunder. The atmosphere is just slightly warmer today at upper levels, and the wind field somewhat slack with a trough evident through central Ireland from west to east. This should allow for some convergence and also with the heating power of the April sun, any shower clouds will rapidly reach the freezing level. Some pretty powerful hail thundershowers are likely. There may still be some snow on higher ground as well. Then it is probably going to clear fairly extensively Monday night and Tuesday morning could see some readings -3 to -5 C in rural areas.

The trough did re-generate close to the coast in the end and became more intense as it moved overland and over the wicklow mtns.Just a wet ground here this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Snowed here in Roscommon overnight. A good covering.

Two attachments below, the first one is the trough close to Dublin which was still weak in nature.

The second pic is the trough as it crossed the Wicklow mtns.Aided by a west wind an orographic lift, the trough intensified quickly and help it survive down as far as the south coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I looked at the radar and seen how the hills to my E, SE and S deflected the showers away from here. The castlecomer pleatau had snow up there at 7am. Nothing here. Looks like another 5 miles to my SE and snowfall was had. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Today, I think the dominant theme will be hail with thunder. The atmosphere is just slightly warmer today at upper levels, and the wind field somewhat slack with a trough evident through central Ireland from west to east. This should allow for some convergence and also with the heating power of the April sun, any shower clouds will rapidly reach the freezing level. Some pretty powerful hail thundershowers are likely. There may still be some snow on higher ground as well. Then it is probably going to clear fairly extensively Monday night and Tuesday morning could see some readings -3 to -5 C in rural areas.

yes, i'd say last night's snow was the last i'll see till next winter. We got two inches out of it. So, i'm satisfied with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

didnt get anything here, not even a frost. Perhaps there some something really early in the morning but nothing when i was up at 8.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hail shower here, sky bubbling up nicely.

• Advertisement

Very large hail in the hailstorm we are having here at the moment.
    Quite solid yokes probably more than 6mm.

Advertisement