Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch out for DIY Vans going around getting large sums of money off vulnerable people

Options
  • 05-04-2008 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Was anyone listening to RTE 1 Radio on Friday where there was €22,000 in cash taken off an elderly couple in advance of work being done to their drive and guttering! The drive was destroyed by a below standards job being done and also guttering was to be done and they didn't put in the proper standard of guttering, had to remove slates/tiles off the roof so the water would go into the guttering and left the job half done! They were challenged by a neighbour of the couple who was concerned about what was going on, who went away to ring some one to see what was happening - the older lady in the mean time was in the bank getting another €5000 out for them!

The bank didn't question her taking out the money and when she went out another van that the gang seemed to be using were there ready to take the money off her. In the mean time her neighbour was being kept busy by the other van who sent her on a wild goose chase that ended up the last I heard in South Dublin/Kildare!

We need to make all the older people in our communities aware of what is happening and also to inform them not the answer the door to anyone they don't know, don't let them into their houses and don't entertain them at all! They seem to be a very intimidating gang and have even threatened with hatchets etc... anyone heard any more about this?

I do think it is very important to bring it up for discussion!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Old people have a hard enough time of it ,without people telling them not to open their doors.

Most people are cautious about who they open the door to ,a reccomendation for them would be to use the golden pages to get work done.

I think a lot of people feel when they have no recommendations for tradesmen ,that there is no harm in taking a chance.
    Quotations and landline phone numbers ,would help to weed these thieves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

311 wrote: »
    Old people have a hard enough time of it ,without people telling them not to open their doors.

Most people are cautious about who they open the door to ,a reccomendation for them would be to use the golden pages to get work done.

I think a lot of people feel when they have no recommendations for tradesmen ,that there is no harm in taking a chance.
    Quotations and landline phone numbers ,would help to weed these thieves out.
    Absolutely right, older people do have a hard enough time of it as it is but at the same time they do have to realise they are not as strong as they were when younger and shouldn't hand large sums of cash over to people calling to their doors!

At the very least they should write cheques that could be cancelled if the work isn't done or not done to their satisfaction! Better still they should just say they don't have enough money or can't afford it if they feel intimidated!

Seemly these people start doing the jobs without full agreement of the owner and then demand payment in the most aggressive form!

Just thought I would bring it to the attention of others and do hope these people who have UK registered vehicles and also Limerick registered vehicles are brought to justice soon!

Hi 311,

For some reason your last post doesn't seem to have come up on the system, I got an email about it and want to say that I am not getting at the ordinary worker who is trying their best to make a living and only taking what is a fair wage for a fair days work and also are doing a grade A job! There are a lot of you out there and my best wishes go out to you all - it is these others who cause such suffering and pain to older people and also to you who are trying to earn a living!

It was on RTE 1 in the afternoon on Friday and just felt sorry for all the older people who had lost so much! I definitely am not getting at you and hope you don't take offence at what I have posted, these people are scum who are only looking for a quick buck and pick the most vulnerable in our society!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

There is another known scam that is used (usually on the elderly) whereby some sort of worms or maggots suddenly 'appear' in the tarmac, and surprise surprise a man in a van turns up who has got a solution to the problem that will cost 1000. This was reported in our local paper last year where an old lady was accompanied to the cash machine to take out the money where she duly handed it over... .some sort of powder was strewn around on the tarmac and off they went. I agree with the OP people should be informed to be aware of these scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

for the sake of €150 euro get your granny one of these door videos (3rd item) http://www.sctltd.co.uk/acatalog/Doorentry.html?gclid=CO6Gw5OIy5ICFRkR1AodiCfAcQ

If they are not face to face they can't intimidate as much.

• Advertisement

davidoco wrote: »
    for the sake of €150 euro get your granny one of these door videos (3rd item) http://www.sctltd.co.uk/acatalog/Doorentry.html?gclid=CO6Gw5OIy5ICFRkR1AodiCfAcQ

If they are not face to face they can't intimidate as much.
    I would get one of those myself, don't know if a four inch screen would be much benefit to an elderly person - even with their glasses but good idea, I like it!

Advertisement