Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain should invade Zimbabwe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Duzzie

A couple quotes from Robert Mugabe at Independance
    "Stay with us, please remain in this country and constitute a nation based on national unity."
    "We will not seize land from anyone who has a use for it. Farmers who are able to be productive and prove useful to society will find us co-operative."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Mugabe is Zimbabwe's Mandela.

Effectively a hero when he came to power in 1980.

Nice to see him running white oppressors off their farms last week. Gives credence to his portrayal of himself as taking on 'British imperialists'.

Shed no tears for the white man. They're probably racists or apartheid-supporters anyways.

Yep, and probably just as racist and just about as African as the black dude who's turning a productive farm into rack and ruin as we speak.. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

If R. Mugabe is so hateful of the Western world and of the past occupation of 'his' lands, then why does he continue to speak English as his native tongue? He is the ultimate hypocrite and does not care about his people - He only cares about himself.

I would have no issue telling him face to face what I
    think of him.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Kevster wrote: »
    If R. Mugabe is so hateful of the Western world and of the past occupation of 'his' lands, then why does he continue to speak English as his native tongue? He is the ultimate hypocrite and does not care about his people - He only cares about himself.

I would have no issue telling him face to face what I
    think of him.

Kevin
    There are 3 official langauges in Zimababwe. English which everyone speaks, Shona, the langauge spoken by the Shona people, the tribal grouping that formed ZANU-PF and Ndebele, spoken by the Matabele people, the tribal grouping that originated from the Zulus and that formed the now defunct ZAPU-PF. People would tend to speak English and Shona or English and Ndebele. It wouldn't be that common for people to speak Shona and Ndebele. So if he just spoke Shona, the Matabele people wouldn't know what he was on about. That said, Mugabe couldn't give a s***e about the Matabeles so it is a bit strange that he doesn't just speak Shona.

As for telling him face to face what you think of him, I dont think i'd waste time with words. He is notoriously paranoid about security. No one can sneeze within 200yards of him without being pounced on by security. I think it is partly due to the time he was accosted by Peter Tatchell in London when he tried to carry out a citizens arrest, now that was funny.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think I remember at the end of apartheid in South Africa, Mugabe giving an interview when questioned about South Africans worried about instability that Zimbabwe was living proof that an integrated society could work together and they had nothing to fear.

That maybe was only 1990 or something. He was right then.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Thanks for the info Duzzie.

Did any of ye ever consider that there may actually be something wrong with his brain? After all, he is an octogenarian and, as far as I know, he used to be a good leader of his country. Perhaps he has developed some mental disorder in his old age.

In any case, I sure as hell would like to see a psychiatric analysis on him.

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

With all this nonsense going on in Zimbabwe at the moment I think it is time for the British to act. They have an obligation to the unfortunate people of that former colony. They should have a quiet word with Mugabe and tell him that the game is up. That half wit Mbeki should be brought to one side and told to stay out of it or suffer the consequences (economic and military). I know the British armed forces are stretched a bit at the moment, (other NATO countries could take up more slack in Afghanistan to help them out.) but it wouldn’t take much to put manners on the ramshackle Zimbabwe “military”. They would probably run as soon as they see the first paratrooper’s descending on them. They would certainly be no match for a European army. But I think the threat would be enough.

Typical nonsense. About as reasonable as Mugabe sending in troops in invade Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Typical nonsense. About as reasonable as Mugabe sending in troops in invade Britain.

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. Mugabe’s “army” would have great difficulty invading and capturing the Isle of Wight. (That’s assuming they would know how to get there). Whereas the British armed forces could take over Zimbabwe in a week without breaking sweat. Ok maybe the op’s statement is a bit over the top, but it seems like no neighbouring country (of Zimbabwe) is going to help them in their struggle with this madman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

With all this nonsense going on in Zimbabwe at the moment I think it is time for the British to act. They have an obligation to the unfortunate people of that former colony. They should have a quiet word with Mugabe and tell him that the game is up. That half wit Mbeki should be brought to one side and told to stay out of it or suffer the consequences (economic and military). I know the British armed forces are stretched a bit at the moment, (other NATO countries could take up more slack in Afghanistan to help them out.) but it wouldn’t take much to put manners on the ramshackle Zimbabwe “military”. They would probably run as soon as they see the first paratrooper’s descending on them. They would certainly be no match for a European army. But I think the threat would be enough.

This has to be a joke? If anything Britain should be paying reparations to Zimbabwe, not colonising it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone see Mbeki at the UN on the BBC news? Not a problem, not a bother acording to him. Whatever you say, say nothing.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone see Mbeki at the UN on the BBC news? Not a problem, not a bother acording to him. Whatever you say, say nothing.

Mike.

Mbeki and SA's stance on Zimbabwe has been nothing short of disgraceful in recent years, this is just a continuation of the same policy

This has to be a joke? If anything Britain should be paying reparations to Zimbabwe, not colonising it again.

Exactly, and how about an apology for it aswell. The arrogance is disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Mbeki and SA's stance on Zimbabwe has been nothing short of disgraceful in recent years, this is just a continuation of the same policy

Actually its stance makes a lot of sense when you consider how Mugabe helped Mbeki and the ANC fight the SADF and the American and British collusion when SA went to war against the whole of southern africa in the 80's. Lets also not forget that Mugabe is still an ally...its not like Europe and America have exactly had a great wind change towards Africa since Apartheid.

sovtek wrote: »
    Actually its stance makes a lot of sense when you consider how Mugabe helped Mbeki and the ANC fight the SADF and the American and British collusion when SA went to war against the whole of southern africa in the 80's. Lets also not forget that Mugabe is still an ally...its not like Europe and America have exactly had a great wind change towards Africa since Apartheid.

I don't deny there are historical reasons for 'revolutionary solidarity' or whatever the term is but they just don't apply any more:

- apartheid long gone in SA and ANC hegemony assured more or less for ever
    - white influence in Zimbabwe more or less negligible now (only 200 white farmers left)

Mugabe is not waging war on 'racist white settlers'; he heads up a kleptomaniac, murderous regime that is destroying what should be one of the richest countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Past ties are no excuse for ANC inaction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whereas the British armed forces could take over Zimbabwe in a week without breaking sweat.
    All well and good. Then what?

Good to see China take a responsible position

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/18/china.armstrade

Ahem.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

Victor wrote: »
    All well and good. Then what?

Install the properly elected government and stay in an advisory capacity to ensure that the leaders of the old regime are properly dealt with. Leave as soon as the legitimate government is happy that they can manage the situation.

Good to see China take a responsible position

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...hina.armstrade

Here we go again, pick on China for something every western country does and much worse. Big powers have all supplied arms to African countys and now China does it suddenly they are pointed out. Where are you when the US supplies arms to "bad" leaders all over the world?
    Lets not forget the US supplying Saddam with chemical weapons etc..

Install the properly elected government and stay in an advisory capacity to ensure that the leaders of the old regime are properly dealt with. Leave as soon as the legitimate government is happy that they can manage the situation.

Who said they were "properly elected"? The results havent been released yet!
    Maby Britain should shop meddling in other countrys and try and fix their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Haven't I heard that somewhere before?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/apr/02/iraq.military

Kev_ps3 good to see your views are not getting in the way of seeing that arming a despot is not a good idea.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 good to see your views are not getting in the way of seeing that arming a despot is not a good idea.

Mike.

Why would you call him a 'despot'?

Why would you call him a 'despot'?

some reasons:

- rigged elections

- theft of private property from citizens

- state-sponsored murder

need any more?

I don't deny there are historical reasons for 'revolutionary solidarity' or whatever the term is but they just don't apply any more:

- apartheid long gone in SA and ANC hegemony assured more or less for ever
    - white influence in Zimbabwe more or less negligible now (only 200 white farmers left)

Mugabe is not waging war on 'racist white settlers'; he heads up a kleptomaniac, murderous regime that is destroying what should be one of the richest countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Past ties are no excuse for ANC inaction on this.

That's all well and good for a white European...neither of which Mugabe nor Mbeki are.
    There still remains America, Europe and (possibly) China that could reap vast profits off the African Continent and pay the inhabitants little for the priviledge ie neo-colonialism.

Mike.

Except when "we" do it, of course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Who said they were "properly elected"? The results havent been released yet!

:D

And why haven't they? They were before in Mugabe's landslide wins..

The difference between Zimbabwe now and Iraq then was Iraq was mismanaged. Zimbabwe is in such a bad state that it probably actually couldn't get any worse.

Ok the country is in a bit of a state, but as a former colony ourselves we should be the last ones advocating a british invasion of a foreign country. We should have learnt the lesson by now.

The proposition was never going to arise so its all talk, its South Africa should be invading.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's probably going to get much much worse. With SA unwilling to do anything and Mugabe clearly having lost the support of his electorate, it's probably going to end in violence.

Then China will continue to supply arms to Mugabe's regime to slaughter his countrymen and the UN will continue screaming at China to stop. Then the olympics will start. What then...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

seamus wrote: »
    Then China will continue to supply arms to Mugabe's regime to slaughter his countrymen and the UN will continue screaming at China to stop. Then the olympics will start. What then...?
    We imprison human rights defenders and journalists, we shut down newspapers, journals and websites, we imprison and torture religious groups, we punish approximately 68 crimes by death, we oppress ethnic minorities, we supply arms to militias in nations such as DR Congo, Sudan and Zimbabwe...

But let's forget all that and have a sports day.

• Advertisement

Which religious groups are oppressed/imprisioned in Europe?
    Which crimes are punished by death in Europe?
    Which journalists are in jail for thier writings in Europe?
    Which ethnic minorities are oppressed as policy by governments in Europe?

Mike.

Advertisement