Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are you a nerd /geek?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I have to admit I love programmes like Megastructurs, The Worlds Biggest Bridges etc etc.

What do you like / do thats 'nerdy'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I correct friends/family when they get their grammar wrong. It's not a pompous or conscious thing, it's out before I know it! it's just that my mam was an English teacher for many years and constantly pulled us up on our grammar, pronunciation etc. My husband is well used to it by now and hates in, but a few years back I noticed he's started to do it aswell - the disease is spreading!!!
    I have all the rhymes in my head - 'this, that, these and those, that's the way the T-H- goes', 'How now Brown Cow' etc etc...

Jaysus i am a GEEK!!!! (eh, that would be J-E-S-U-S) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

i watch grand designs is that geeky? take notes for what kind of a mega structure my house will be like.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I spend far too much time on t'internet, and the most nerdy thing is knowing what all those wysiwyg, lol, rofl, afaik abbreviations mean. Oh and what catpics are all about.

I dont think grand designs is nerdy, its just an element of that fascination we have with poking around other peoples houses.

I too check peoples grammar and spelling. Its a character flaw, I cant ignore that stuff.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

KtK wrote: »

I too check peoples grammar and spelling. Its a character flaw, I cant ignore that stuff.:)

People's

It's

Can't

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Photi wrote: »
    People's

It's

Can't

Yes I have a problem with my apostrophes. Or is that apostrophe's. Oh dear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I have a Collins Dictionary and I actualy read a few pages almost every evening before I go to bed.

How do you read a dictionary, you ask??

Well I like to refresh the memory on my spellings, I loved spellings in school so I like to recharge the brain, and learn the meanings of new words!!

Sad or whaaaaaa !!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Am guilty of both reading the dictonary for entertainment value and of correcting people's grammar all the time.

But by far the nerdiest thing I do is sometimes accidently pronounce words like articles and riscicles (the breakfast cereal) with emphasis on the latter syllable (art-i-cleeeees) cos I studied ancient Greek for years and they look, on reading them, like that's how they should be pronounced if you've studied Greek. Now that's nerdy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

my job is a bit nerdy - web development. although personally i think it makes me COOL not nerdy :p

other than that, things like thinking laptops are sexy. sometimes they are.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm a sys admin - thats pretty nerdy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

im more dorky really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

im more dorky really.

Someone needs to define the difference between geeky, nerdy and dorky... at this point, nerdy is almost a compliment!

hmm, i cant exactly remember this one... but geeky tends to be more computer orientated, whereas nerdiness tends to be more intelligence orientated, and dorky is more just socially awkward and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hmm, i cant exactly remember this one... but geeky tends to be more computer orientated, whereas nerdiness tends to be more intelligence orientated, and dorky is more just socially awkward and the like.
    what do you call someone who's all three? :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Cremo wrote: »
    what do you call someone who's all three? :D

Cremo. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I spend a lot of time on the internet, have a degree in chemical engineering and work in academic research, and everyone I work with is dorky by this definition, so I probably am that too......so all bases covered then!icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

A geek plays with toys, a nerd makes/designs/understands the toy and a dork can't figure out how to use the toy.

ntlbell wrote: »
    A geek plays with toys, a nerd makes/designs/understands the toy and a dork can't figure out how to use the toy.

In that case, I'd like to think I am anerd but am probably a geek. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I dunno. I've always been nerdy really. When I was 7 we had an ancient Amstrad and a book of Basic programming. I used to get a huge kick out of programming 'conversations' with the computer and silly little games (Christ, I should have kept that up, I could be a programming superstar by now :( ). I enjoy web development now, HTML, CSS, Javascript, Actionscript, PHP. I love all that :)

My interest in computers/technology means I have to go to family member's houses on a weekly basis to fix their computers/printers/ipods/etc though. I don't get paid either! :(

Gauge wrote: »
    I dunno. I've always been nerdy really. When I was 7 we had an ancient Amstrad and a book of Basic programming. I used to get a huge kick out of programming 'conversations' with the computer and silly little games (Christ, I should have kept that up, I could be a programming superstar by now :( ). I enjoy web development now, HTML, CSS, Javascript, Actionscript, PHP. I love all that :)

My interest in computers/technology means I have to go to family member's houses on a weekly basis to fix their computers/printers/ipods/etc though. I don't get paid either! :(

I've started telling my relatives how much a consultants wage is everytime they ask for help. I used to get about 5 'product support' calls a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

All the time, my friends had a cake and tshirt made for my last birthday with *nerdgasm* on both:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

feylya wrote: »
    Cremo. :pac:
    i walked into that one didn't i?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SarahSassy wrote: »
    I have to admit I love programmes like Megastructurs, The Worlds Biggest Bridges etc etc.

What do you like / do thats 'nerdy'?

I am sorry Sarah but you are defo a geek. It pains me to say it as I know it is going to break your heart. You need to accept it though and just be yourself :)

Currently, you are a 8/10 geek. This can be reduced to 7/10 if you are particularly hot :) and drink pints :P

Megastructures and Grand designs are officially cool.
    They are not Nerd fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

Y'all got nothin on me!
    Despite correcting teachers' grammer, I recently won a poem competition, I can hold hour-long conversations on the merits of this anime or that, this manga or that and my closest friend is a girl I met online.

I'm cool:D

andgoodbye wrote: »
    Y'all got nothin on me!
    Despite correcting teachers' grammer, I recently won a poem competition, I can hold hour-long conversations on the merits of this anime or that, this manga or that and my closest friend is a girl I met online.

I'm cool:D

I can out nerd you but I am male so I don't think it counts. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Megastructures and Grand designs are officially cool.
    They are not Nerd fodder.

Keep telling yourself that ;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

SDooM wrote: »
    I can out nerd you but I am male so I don't think it counts. lol
    I'm male too, just thought I'd drop it in, I know severeal nerdy ladies, but they again got nuthin on me! PM me, we'll see who's the bigger nerd, Shounen style!
    xD
    Only obscure anime/manga fans'll get that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When I go to university library for something, and end up wandering among the stacks, checking this out and that... I can disappear for hours, but time seems to fly for me.

When I go to university library for something, and end up wandering among the stacks, checking this out and that... I can disappear for hours, but time seems to fly for me.

Christ, I used to do that too! College libraries are full of all kinds of stuff if you have some time.

• Advertisement

sounds like me in chapters.

Advertisement