Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are you a nerd /geek?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

I can program in pearl and like it :) (obviously other languages too, but pearl is just well its pearl!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Shame you can't spell it ;) Major no no in geekdom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My geeky shame is that I knew she'd spelled Perl wrong. In my defence I only recruit people with IT skills, I don't have them myself.

Other nerdy attributes: Em, I have a degree in chemistry and a good few of the ladies loungers are good friends of mine now. Try explaining to people you're going to meet your online friends! I love my laptop and PC games and for the last 4 weeks, I've only watched things on it, I haven't watched tv once. Is that nerdy?

I'm fairly outgoing and get on easily with people so I think my nerd/geek/dork tendencies are well hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

When I am I not a nerd/geek, would probably be a shorter answer :o Off the top of my head:

-In college I do web design and programming, and systems design, and when I have the time to do it properly I really like it
    -Web 3.0/Semantic Web stuff is really interesting
    -Don't talk to me about spelling and grammar (though I tend to tone it down on the internet) -- have a degree in English and Linguistics
    -Did a masters thesis on whether Paul Auster is modernist or postmodernist based on his use of the theme of illness (and got a First for it)
    -Lolcats is the height of humour
    -Have been known to play Final Fantasy
    -Into hopelessly obscure music

In my defence, I can't do object-oriented programming to save my life. And I do have a social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

ChewChew wrote: »
    I have a Collins Dictionary and I actualy read a few pages almost every evening before I go to bed.

How do you read a dictionary, you ask??

Well I like to refresh the memory on my spellings, I loved spellings in school so I like to recharge the brain, and learn the meanings of new words!!

Sad or whaaaaaa !!

:rolleyes:

ChewChew you are me! I love my dictionary and I have a few of them on my bookshelf. I don't read a bit every night but as soon as i read/hear a word I don't understand I run (yes run) and get my dictionary - I get a masive kick out of learning new words. For instance I was reading the 'What Mod Would You Ban' thread in AH and Miss Fluff used the word sycophant. Never heard it before and had to look it up immediately! SAD or what! Also, once I find what I'm looking for I'll then have a random browse for 1/2 an hour or so..............:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

rain on wrote: »
    -Web 3.0/Semantic Web stuff is really interesting

lol i take care of that in work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Have to admit now Grand designs is a good show.
    Hows its made etcetc.

PLC programming anyone?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Hahaha...I think I'm gona win!! (and I'm not proud of it)

I study Medieval English* :o

*and I really, really love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Hahaha...I think I'm gona win!! (and I'm not proud of it)

I study Medieval English* :o

*and I really, really love it!

Medieval English isn't nerdy
    *That is probably grossly untrue*

Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight FTW :D

Medieval English isn't nerdy
    *That is probably grossly untrue*

Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight FTW :D
    Beowulf is Anglo-Saxon, not mediaeval. Call yourself a nerd? :p

• Advertisement

Sparky-s wrote: »
    Have to admit now Grand designs is a good show.
    Hows its made etcetc.

PLC programming anyone?? :D

PLC programming produces real-life physical reactions.
    Tim "The toolman" Taylor dabbles with plc programming.

It can't be nerdy....honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Old stuff is old stuff to me

Besides it is so long since I did it that I have forgotten most of it

Old stuff is old stuff to me

Besides it is so long since I did it that I have forgotten most of it
    There's arguably 500 years in the difference.

This thread is definitely bringing it out in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Some nerdy things I like:

World of warcraft, comic books, documentaries (reading through the thread people think they're nerdy, I didn't know but I'll write 'em down anyway!), art, nerdy movies, linux, t'internets.

Hmm, the list goes on. Sad, I know! :pac:

There's arguably 500 years in the difference.

This thread is definitely bringing it out in me.

Rain On, you are arguably the biggest nerd so far!!

LOLS:D;)

Rain On, you are arguably the biggest nerd so far!!

LOLS:D;)
    Sometimes I think nerdiness is a state of mind more than anything else :)

The most I can manage in object-oriented programming is "Hello World" in Java. That means I'm not a proper nerd. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sometimes I think nerdiness is a state of mind more than anything else :)

QFT.

I just spent 2 hours practicing several different types of scales on my piano. contra-motion, double octave, I could go on..... I love it but i'm sure many would think that nerdy!;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

In fairness, you're all on the Internet, trying to out-nerd each other... That's nerdy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

feylya wrote: »
    In fairness, you're all on the Internet, trying to out-nerd each other... That's nerdy enough.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

feylya wrote: »
    but they obviously not nerdy enough otherwise they would of figured that out for themselves :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Na, they're just in denial :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Weidii wrote: »
    Some nerdy things I like:

World of warcraft

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Stop right now. You will lose your life!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I buy books of simplex crosswords, read fantasy novels like there is no tomorrow, I used to LARP, and my bf used to work in a comic shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I play RPGs and platform games, own box sets of anything from the stables of Joss Whedon and anything else of that ilk, enjoy doing the easy end of cryptic crosswords, do sudoku to keep my brain awake, type at 100wpm, will spend hours gardening (all day Saturday) and when a light appears on my dashboard I'll refer to the manual to see what the hell's gone wrong now with my chugbucket car and if I can I'll try fixing it myself. (Admittedly with some input from himself.)

I can also run in three inch heels, have long blonde hair and can carry off leather trousers on a night out.

It possibly makes me a nerd. It possibly doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Sparky-s wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Stop right now. You will lose your life!! :)

I know, it's really bad ain't it? It actually did happen once that I made an excuse to stay home when I was s'posed to be in the pub so I could play that.

I'll quit... tommorrow.

LOL That's a bit specific!! Hahaha he's not actually wrong, generally Beowulf can be studied in a Medieval course as it dates back to before the 16th century. So he's not totally off. Beowulf was supposedly finished by the 11th century so it was more late medieval! lol Generally though, yeah we study that!! Also, Chaucer, Margery Kemp, Sir Orfeo's Tale, etc.. So we have a really wide range. Hahaha great to see I'm not the only one into it!

MizzLolly wrote: »
    LOL That's a bit specific!! Hahaha he's not actually wrong, generally Beowulf can be studied in a Medieval course as it dates back to before the 16th century. So he's not totally off. Beowulf was supposedly finished by the 11th century so it was more late medieval! lol Generally though, yeah we study that!! Also, Chaucer, Margery Kemp, Sir Orfeo's Tale, etc.. So we have a really wide range. Hahaha great to see I'm not the only one into it!
    Yeah my grasp of history unfortunately isn't the best :D The language in Beowulf is so radically different to anything you'd see in say Chaucer though, with Chaucer always being held up as a canonical Middle English writer (or not even canonical but at least extant, haha) that to lump Old English and Middle English in together offends the arts graduate in me ;)

What do I know though, the year I did my MA UCD didn't even run MAs in Old and Middle or Early Modern English because not enough people wanted to do them, we were all falling over ourselves to study postmodernism and the like. I had a terrible time with Old English most of the time anyway, it was all se cyning this and se biscop that, and I could never figure out why the fish was looking at the bishop.. Seamus Heaney reading Beowulf is deadly though.

What do I know though, the year I did my MA UCD didn't even run MAs in Old and Middle or Early Modern English. Seamus Heaney reading Beowulf is deadly though.

No no... you're bang on too! You were both right, there are always foggy phases where it belongs to neither one or the other. I'm in UCD too! :D
    :eek: I love Seamus Heaney!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age inappropriate rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers.

Geek definitions include:

A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Most geeks are adept with computers, and treat the term hacker as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves.

A person who relates academic subjects to the real world outside of academic studies; for example, using multivariate calculus to determine how they should correctly optimize the dimensions of a pan to bake a cake.

A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance.

A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad but because many of these interests have mainstream endorsement and acceptance, the inclusion of some genres as "geeky" is heavily debated.

Persons have been labelled as or chosen to identify as mathematics geeks, engineering geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, various science geeks, movie and film geeks (cinephile), comic book geeks, theatre geeks, history geeks, gamer geeks, music geeks, art geeks, philosophy geeks, literature geeks, and roleplay geeks.

So says Wiki!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

oh come on :D the whole point when you admit to coding in perl is to write pearl! It decrease the shame :D

Advertisement