Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are you a nerd /geek?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

My only claim for the nerd/geek title is that I'm a java developer.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

if I can I'll try fixing it myself. (Admittedly with some input from himself.)

I can also run in three inch heels, have long blonde hair and can carry off leather trousers on a night out.

It possibly makes me a nerd. It possibly doesn't.

Your a chick? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Seven years on these forums this year and people still keep asking me that.

What is it about my posts that people are surprised I'm female? Don't I use enough smilies or lols or exclamation points?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My online activity and my obsession with gymnastics. I know being obsessed with a sport normally makes you a jock, but it's gymnastics... :o Anyway, I can rattle off stats like any other sports fanatic, and once I get started, it's really hard to stop! I spend hours every day online reading, discussing and watching gymnastics. I also tend to compare things to gymnastics, or random things will remind me of gymnastics. You'd be amazed what I could come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What is it about my posts that people are surprised I'm female? Don't I use enough smilies or lols or exclamation points?
    you have a great disguise though, it's not like a women could mod the ladies lounge now, in fairness.

/me ducks swinging ban stick and pleads it's all in the joy of sarcasm. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I had a fair few people calle me a boy recently too. I would have thought it was very obvious I am of the female persuasion.

MAJD, I never thought you were male!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Probably an easier question is when am I *not* a nerd/geek...

I'm on a year out from a computer science degree, I play World of Warcraft *a lot*, I get into stupid arguments on the internet, I like programming, math and science, I've been gaming since I was a very young child, I'm a tech support monkey...

When it comes to music Im very nerdy in how I talk about it.

Occasionally Im made to feel like a geek by using words in conversation and then having to explain what it means to the person im talking to (which is better than when they pretend they understood and u can see their eyes shifting cos they didnt!) I do use abbreviations when I type!

When I watch any combat sports I analyse it like a geek and sit there with unwavering attention rather than get testosterone filled and scream for blood like everyone else.

Also i remember quotes from films, cartoons etc.....which IMO can be quite geeky!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

watna wrote: »
    MAJD, I never thought you were male!

Me neither.

I think 99% of posters thought I was male until I put up that avatar.

The only thing nerdy about me is that I'm a scientist but I'm not even a very nerdy one..

I suppose spending my empty days on boards is a bit geeky alright.

*must log off*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i like books...like the smell of books and i like writing stuff with actual old fashioned pen and paper....does that make me a nerd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Nerd21 wrote: »
    i like books...like the smell of books and i like writing stuff with actual old fashioned pen and paper....does that make me a nerd?

yes it does!

fixed your name for ya!:D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Nead21 wrote: »

I absolutley LOVE books but am a complete freak when it comes to them. I will not take a second hand book. I will not read a book from the library. I will read a book/magazine if in hospital or a docs surgery. and I try NOT to buy a paperback. Uuuurrrggghhhhh I'm such a weirdo. lols :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I really love Star Trek: TNG. My favourite TV show ever, in the history of the world, is Buffy tVS. I don't think that's nerdy, others do.

I spend nearly all my time on the internet.

I need to get out more.

MAJD, I never pictured you as a blonde!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

When I watch any combat sports I analyse it like a geek and sit there with unwavering attention rather than get testosterone filled and scream for blood like everyone else

I'm a mix of both. Quite analytical when watching but seem to have a damn good idea of when the bit moments are coming and will get very, very excited while still shouting about kimura's and guardpassing. lol

I guess i am pretty nerdy in a lot of aspects. Read a lot, write a lot, like my sci-fi, read the Lord of the Rings when i was seven. That kind of stuff.

Used to a lot of RP, White World stuff and Cyberpunk mostly.

Game freak as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 rosarosa

chuci wrote: »
    i watch grand designs is that geeky? take notes for what kind of a mega structure my house will be like.

I like that too:D Never miss it! I've even got my father-in-law watching it with me! I also take notes. Some good stuff on there, like the one with the Huff house...sigh, if I had the money....

My husband also thinks I'm a nerd cos aside from a "small" shoe fetish, I usuallu spend my money on books. Mostly fantasy/sci-fi, but I can't help it. Good memories of being 16 sitting on the verandah at home with no cares at all every time I open one....and I get a good read too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I correct friends/family when they get their grammar wrong. It's not a pompous or conscious thing, it's out before I know it! it's just that my mam was an English teacher for many years and constantly pulled us up on our grammar, pronunciation etc. My husband is well used to it by now and hates in, but a few years back I noticed he's started to do it aswell - the disease is spreading!!!
    I have all the rhymes in my head - 'this, that, these and those, that's the way the T-H- goes', 'How now Brown Cow' etc etc...

Jaysus i am a GEEK!!!! (eh, that would be J-E-S-U-S) :p

omg, can i pay you please to help me with my grammar. my essays in college are getting crucified with my lack of sentence structure.

and i am a nerd, with a husband & two kids, in college, who happens to like ER & Greys anatomy. but i would just as rather play dnd, watch star trek & read fantasy books... I have a foot firmly in the mammy, girly and nerdy camps at the moment;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im obsessed with lol cats cant go onto the net without looking at some.....darn their cutness and humor!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm pretty sure I'm nerdilicious. Or so I'm told...

I did Ancient Greek and Applied Maths in school.

I did a degree in Financial Maths (and got a 1st), I love maths and numbers!

I work in risk where we test models all day.

I love spelling and grammar.

But I also love make up and fashion and all things girly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭trout

I have a watch that tells time in binary ... what does that make me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

trout wrote: »
    Always late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭trout

Gordon wrote: »
    Always late?

heheheh ... I have a great comeback for that ... just give me a minute

*fiddles with watch and tries to count powers of 2 in head*

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I still have my dictionary very close to hand. But I've noticed I am correcting peoples spellings and pronunciation, which I feel bad for sometimes cause I worry they might get embarrassed or take offence. But the correction is usually out before I have fully thought it through. lol. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Can't beat a bit of Chaucer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

trout wrote: »

whats binary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

whats binary?

There are 10 types of people - those that understand binary and those that don't. :D

Yup, i'm a bit nerdy as that joke makes me laugh.

Aisling, binary is a way of counting using 'base 2' instead of 'base 10' that we'd normally use in day to day life. The binary 10 is equal to the 'normal' 2. It's useful for electrically things - if a number can be represented by, for example, 0000110101000101010 (just a string of 0s and 1s) then there are only two states that are needed to create the representation - 'off' and 'on'.

Here's an exhaustive wiki entry on it: binary numeral system

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nicardgr

cuckoo wrote: »
    There are 10 types of people - those that understand binary and those that don't. :D

Right with ya! :)

I'm also geeky enough that when ever i watch brainiac/CSI etc i end up screaming at the tv on how thats not how it works in real life, my bf wont let me watch them with him anymore! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm at my abolute geekiest when i'm getting v excited about finding out who the last cylon is!

*tumble weed*

off to the battlestar galactica forum for me then
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

cuckoo wrote: »

I have that on a tshirt. Sad but true.

I used to be able to do maths in binary for operating systems stuff but that was ever so long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm a bit of a computer nerd and maths nerd and was 1 of 3 girls in my class in college. I am gleefully nerdish over physical geography. I read extensively on the subject, along with politics. I tend not to voice my political opinions though as I annoy people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement