Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salsa Slim Classes

• 05-04-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done the salsa slim or just ordinary salsa classes? Did you find them good for toning up and fitness?

Am doing WW and find the gym a pain so am thinking of joining to boost my exercise regime (and regime it is :rolleyes: ).

SS

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never did the Salsa slim thing simply because its very expensive. I did do Salsa Jive classes which were just walk in and learn (no set 10 classes or anything, you went when you felt like it) and it was fantastic. You sweat buckets, its very energetic and the best fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

am thinking of doing the Salsa Slims class - do they weigh you etc every week - I want to get fit, but don't want the ritual humiliation of being weighed?

Also, what level of fitness do you need for the beginners class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

This sounds like a fun way to exercise, especially if you're a gym hater like me:o I have to admit that I never heard of them before, are they held in a lot of places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Smerl :0)

Just came back from my first salsa slim class and gotta say, if you can scrape the pennies together to do it then go for it. It was brilliant. You only get weighed if you want to enter the competition for who loses the most. This is done on the 1st and 9th class and your weight isnt given out.
    You're not dancing with a partner, just in a line. We started with some warm ups first which was good fun then we learnt 7 of the 8 basic steps which are easy enough. Next week we have the 8th step then getting the wiggles and arm movements. Its not strenuous (sp) at all as feet moves are small...not like great lunges..but you definatly feel like you've been doing something without feeling absolutly exhausted. Whether that will change the more we concentrate on the dances, who knows...
    We had people of all shapes and sizes in our class and even a fella...good for him I say :0)
    Well I'm new to this but hopefully will remember to post how the next class went...

Oh and before I forget, they give you a booklet for if you want to follow a good eating plan.

Smerl 0)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cool water

Hi, that sounds like fun.
    I am currently looking for a good fun place to learn salsa, can you tell me where are you doing the course now? What's the name of the school? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Smerl :0)

Hiya Cool Water. I'm doing it through a group called Stepping Out www.steppingout.com
    They run classes all over Ireland. At the moment i'm half way through my class so I'd say that they wont start again untill September. Would give you time to save some pennies up for it tho. Its €120 for 10 lessons that you have to pay up front but to me its more of an incentive to go if you've already paid.

I'm still really enjoying it and would recommend it to anyone;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madra-rua

I've been to a few Salsa classes and found them brilliant, recently started a Zumba dance class and I have to say I'm enjoying it even more than Salsa ... just seems to be more of a full body workout, would really recommend it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cool water

Thanks for all your replies. The stepingout group has good reviews on the website, but I am looking for a course to start soon and will finish in Aug. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

im just finishing the 2nd of the salsa slim sets of classes (think its called el segundo), but i think the teacher said last week that they dont do classes for the summer so you might not get one until sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Yeah I'm just coming towards the end of El Segundo as well, and our teacher said the next course starts in September.
    I would recommend these classes - I am an avid gym goer, started these classes for a bit of variety and love them. The classes can be pretty strenuous - our teacher definitely works us hard anyway - if he feels like we aren't giving it all we have to dance an extra dance at the end. There's a good social element in it as well - a few girls in my class were new to the area and have met new friends now :) We did have one guy, but he dropped out after around 3 weeks :( Been going now since January and have yet to miss a class because they are so enjoyable and don't feel a bit like exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I did it last autumn.

Just doing salsa (or any other dance class!) one night a week isn't going to shift the pounds. You would be expected to eat healthily and practise the moves outside the class as well.
    It was handy because then I had all these slick salsa moves for the Crimbo office party and I rocked, if I do say so myself :cool:

But I enjoyed it, we had a great teacher. And it was a fun way to get a hour's cardio

Cos of the usual financial reasons, I haven't gone on to the Segundo sessions.
    Only criticism is that you would need a few more lads for any moves requiring a partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

there is a pay as you go salsa class as far as i know in the cork dance studio if that is any good to anyone

Only criticism is that you would need a few more lads for any moves requiring a partner.

salsa slim classes dont require a partner..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Finafan

Hi
    just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in cork city, nightclub etc that does a salsa night. Moved here from dublin and took a few salsa classes. loved it and now would like to use salsa to meet new people and dance too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ocizeus

Where can I find a salsa dance class in North Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rumcdonn

Hiya,

Not sure about north dublin - but there is a class starting in ashbourne on the 20th Jan. I live in north dublin and going to start this next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 E26

Hey
    Im thinking of joining the class too- next week, just got a flyer in the door! Silly question but what do you wear going to these classes.. ie what kind of shoes.. is it runners or what?
    Also can you just turn up on the night and pay or do you need to book online..

Thanks

wear whatever youre comfortable to move about in, tracksuit & runners is what most ppl wear. i found lighter runners were easier though, if you have big chunky shoes youll be tripping over yourself.

not sure about turning up on the night, ive done the 1st and 2nd course and always paid beforehand.

id recommend it though, its fun :) id like to do the 3rd course but its only on in a few places and nowhere suits me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 E26

sar84 wrote: »
    wear whatever youre comfortable to move about in, tracksuit & runners is what most ppl wear. i found lighter runners were easier though, if you have big chunky shoes youll be tripping over yourself.

not sure about turning up on the night, ive done the 1st and 2nd course and always paid beforehand.

id recommend it though, its fun :) id like to do the 3rd course but its only on in a few places and nowhere suits me :(

Thanks a mill Sar84....cant wait now to join..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AlphaFemale

Hello:)

I'd like to join the Slim Salsa course,starting on Monday 1 February.
    http://www.steppingout.ie/booking2.aspx

Anyone interested?

If there are 5 of us,we can get the 5 for 4 offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mago

Hi AlphaFemale,

Did you start the classes on Monday last? I was just about to sign up and realised I have missed the first class! How did it go? Is it worth joining?

I may still call them and see if I can get in next Monday, hopefully they won't charge me full price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AlphaFemale

Hi Mago,

Yes,I started the classes on Monday-it is a great fun.Definitely worth joining!I realised too late that they are running the weight loss competition where you can win €2500!The only condition is you have to get weighted by them on the first day and attend 9 of 10 classes(and shift weight:P).However the class I joined on Monday at 7.30 is packed,so you may try the earlier one if it suits you.

Good Luck and have fun!:)
    mago wrote: »
    Hi AlphaFemale,

Did you start the classes on Monday last? I was just about to sign up and realised I have missed the first class! How did it go? Is it worth joining?

I may still call them and see if I can get in next Monday, hopefully they won't charge me full price!

Hi Mago,

Yes,I started the classes on Monday-it is a great fun.Definitely worth joining!I realised too late that they are running the weight loss competition where you can win €2500!The only condition is you have to get weighted by them on the first day and attend 9 of 10 classes(and shift weight:P).However the class I joined on Monday at 7.30 is packed,so you may try the earlier one if it suits you.

Good Luck and have fun!:)

i think that competition is for either the whole country or else province (either way its a big area) and the winners always lose about 3 stone in 9 weeks (cause the weigh in is the 2nd last class) so youd need to be losing 4-5lb a week to be in with a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 orlanemo

Hey there everyone

Thought I would share what I have learned about salsa slims v's attending a regular salsa class. I've been doing salsa on and off for 3 years and my mam has been doing Salsa slims over the last two years.

Salsa Slims
    Salsa Slims is a regular fitness class along the lines of an aerobics class but with a theme, ie boxercise, salsacise. It works the same way as a fitness class would in that you turn up in your trackies, do the class all facing the same direction, and unless you came with friends you will probably not "meet people". If you add this to your life and don't change anything else, ie eat exactly the same, you should loose weight. If you follow the eating regime you should loose more. It is usually available in local community halls so is very convenient. It has three levels, Beginners, El segundo and el dorado. Negatives like someone mentioned, it often does not run during the summer and often there is no El Dorado level as they can not make a class. This means you may not be able to progress and challenge yourself.

Difference between Salsa Classes
    Salsa classes fall into two distinct groups. One set are run on a six week beginners basis in the local school. They usually don't have room for progression and don't have a facility for social dancing (this is where you get a chance to put everything you have learned into practise). The second set are usually run in more urban centres usually in pubs. They usually advertise themselves as not needing a partner and have social dancing.

Salsa Class
    I'll concentrate on the latter for the purposes of comparison. A salsa class begins with the basic steps and before the end of the first class you have usually been paired up and have danced your first steps in a couple. At beginners level there are usually more women then men. (After this level its usually even but sometimes more men then women :) ) You progress through levels, you meet people, you have a laugh. You probably wont sweat as much as in a Salsa Slims class but there are positives. There is social dancing, this is where what you have learned in the classes get put into practise. As you get better you may find yourself spending more time on the dance floor than you would ever have in a one hour Salsa Slims class. There are many opportunities to dance, both at your club, around your city or around the country (even outside the country) and many of them free or at a very low cost. Dancers don't drink that much, cause you can't if you want to remember the steps, so nights out become very cheap, (and low calorie). There is great encouragement to keep attending because you have met loads of people who text you if you don't show up :)

Who would suit a Salsa Slims Class
    -A bunch of girls going along who can encourage each other to keep attending
    -Someone who has a history of staying motivated to attend Aerobics-like classes
    -Someone who is looking for a convenient location to work out
    -Someone who might be uncomfortable with the close proximity of a dance partner

Who would suit a Salsa Class
    -Someone looking to meet new people
    -Someone who has trouble staying motivated at a normal fitness class
    -Someone new to an area looking to make new contacts
    -Someone who wants to learn a new skill
    -Someone who has progressed through the Salsa Slims levels and want another challenge

Both will help you get fit, my boyfriend lost 3 stone in three months with regular salsa. So both work :)

Try www.salsa.ie for a start if you are looking for a class. TBH I hope you all make your way to salsa one day, the more the merrier :)

Orla

Advertisement