Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse policy on Apple goods

Options
  • 05-04-2008 2:33pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought an iTouch from Carphone Warehouse (Dec 07)
    It has stopped working & won't power on . I asked instore about returning it & was basically told they can do nothing & you must deal with Apple direcly. I was just wondering whats the legality of this. I understood when you buy something the contract is between you & the shop, not the manufacturer..:confused:

I would like to be more informed before taking this further

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

koolkid wrote: »
    I recently bought an iTouch from Carphone Warehouse (Dec 07)
    It has stopped working & won't power on . I asked instore about returning it & was basically told they can do nothing & you must deal with Apple direcly. I was just wondering whats the legality of this. I understood when you buy something the contract is between you & the shop, not the manufacturer..:confused:

I would like to be more informed before taking this further

You're correct, your contract is with the reseller, not with the manufacturer, however from my knowledge they will just send it back to Apple anyway, so it may be in your best interests time wise to send it yourself.

You should have been offered to help by them though, thats bad service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Apple are pretty good at resolving these matters.
    But all the same, let the Carphone Warehouse arrange to get this couried to Apple, it's their responsibilty.

If you do deal with Apple don't call it an iTouch as there is no such thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You're right about the legal obligation being on CPW, not Apple. I don't know how it was worded to you, but Apple recommend that all retailers refer support/return issues to them directly. It's just a recommendation, but it does cut out the unnecessary CPW interaction (which will save at the very least 2 days).

Apple generally courier replacements out to you (wiht a pre-paid label to return your faulty goods, subject to CC security being held). Very quick and generally hassle-free.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had the same response from the shop where I bought a Nano that went dead. I contacted Apple and after jumping through all their hoops (making sure youve tried all the usual fixes) they sent a courier to pick it up. It was hassle free I had it back very quickly. Its not the usual way to solve it but in this case they have it well set up, and it works.

Though the courier said hed never buy an Apple product as he has to pick up so many faulty ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

this may work well but it could work just as good with the carphone warehouse doing what they are supposed to be doing as the seller of these products!

this is just anoyther attempt to water down/diminish customers rights and the sellers obligations!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

foggy_lad wrote: »
    this may work well but it could work just as good with the carphone warehouse doing what they are supposed to be doing as the seller of these products!

this is just anoyther attempt to water down/diminish customers rights and the sellers obligations!
    I agree its not the way it should be done. But after a fruitless discussion with the shop concerned, in my case I gave up and did as they recommended. And it worked out ok. But if it hadnt it would be interesting to see where I would have stood vis a vis refund etc.

KtK wrote: »
    I agree its not the way it should be done. But after a fruitless discussion with the shop concerned, in my case I gave up and did as they recommended. And it worked out ok. But if it hadnt it would be interesting to see where I would have stood vis a vis refund etc.
    dont know if you would definitely get a refund but for them to flatly refuse to deal with apple products you have purchased in their stores is contrary to your statutory rights and you can easily proceed with a small claim against them because of this and you would probably be awarded a refund or a replacement.

this is similar to signs in stores that refunds are only given within 24hours/30days of purchase or no refunds given only credit notes etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I might try another approach to the shop first..
    Not being arkward or anything but why should I have to wait home for a courier etc..
    Thanks for all the input.

Ah! If you don't want to wait around, then yes bring to the shop and demand they repair it or return it. The law is very clear that they are obliged to do that.

Apple, in their recommendation to retailers, are not trying to 'diminsh' any rights, they're merely trying to make the user experience a better one. Free courier to your home/work door usually the following morning is much handier than dealing with the shop, IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It does make sense allright, But it was put very differently by the store. Basicially it was something like " Apple are very particular about this. We are not allowed to do anything you must deal with Apple direct. heres the number"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

Profit margin on the Apple products are approx 4% hence the little enthusiasm to help you out

DOS wrote: »
    Profit margin on the Apple products are approx 4% hence the little enthusiasm to help you out
    and its the carphone warehouse, imo trained seals would do a better job

Actually, no, it's not a conspiracy, Apple do rather you go through them.

However the store ARE legally obliged to accept the return.

Apple will deliver to your work place, not just your home, but if it is unsuitable, I would ask to speak to the manager in the Carphone Warehouse and explain to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

CPW have been doing this for years so I doubt a chat with the manager will do anything.
    Whatever about your legal rights, just go with the quicker option. Saves everyone hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What if something was faulty but you had no receipt? Bought in the last fortnight?

Did you pay by CC? You could bring a CC statement as proof of purchase (they can look up the purchase if it's not obvious from the statement).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this is not carphone warehouse's policy on apple goods, this is apple's policy on apple goods. i worked in two shops that sold apple goods and neither of them allowed us to take them back. we were told to give the customer apple's customer care number (1850 946 191) and never take them back under any circumstances

i know the store is obliged to take it back but apple doesn't allow them to because they have their own procedure for dealing with these things which works out better for all concerned. cpw don't have to deal with it, the customer doesn't have a third party messing things up unnecessarily, apple can have the same policy worldwide because they don't have to work around thousands of different shop policies and the whole process is a lot faster and easier

dont know if you would definitely get a refund but for them to flatly refuse to deal with apple products you have purchased in their stores is contrary to your statutory rights and you can easily proceed with a small claim against them because of this and you would probably be awarded a refund or a replacement.

this is similar to signs in stores that refunds are only given within 24hours/30days of purchase or no refunds given only credit notes etc

still the old foggy_lad we all know and love i see. he could take them to court for following the policy that the manufacturer insists every seller of the product worldwide follows, or he could make it easier on everyone, including himself, and just call apple

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    this is not carphone warehouse's policy on apple goods, this is apple's policy on apple goods. i worked in two shops that sold apple goods and neither of them allowed us to take them back. we were told to give the customer apple's customer care number (1850 946 191) and never take them back under any circumstances

We used to take them back and then run them through the same proceedure the customer did. That said, we only dealt in iPods in that store, I know for a fact a store wouldn't talk to you unless you'd rang the helpline on a MacBook issue.

SDooM wrote: »
    We used to take them back and then run them through the same proceedure the customer did. That said, we only dealt in iPods in that store, I know for a fact a store wouldn't talk to you unless you'd rang the helpline on a MacBook issue.

we did have to do it for one or two customers who flatly refused to call apple and generally threw a tantrum. so we'd call apple and they'd start asking us questions about what had been done to it that we didn't know the answer to etc and the whole thing ended up being a lot of hassle because we had no procedure to deal with them because apple have their own far simpler procedure that 99% of people are happy to follow

• Advertisement

we did have to do it for one or two customers who flatly refused to call apple and generally threw a tantrum. so we'd call apple and they'd start asking us questions about what had been done to it that we didn't know the answer to etc and the whole thing ended up being a lot of hassle because we had no procedure to deal with them because apple have their own far simpler procedure that 99% of people are happy to follow

If the OP is smart, he will pick up on this.

cgarvey wrote: »
    Did you pay by CC? You could bring a CC statement as proof of purchase (they can look up the purchase if it's not obvious from the statement).
    No paid by a gift voucher

No paid by a gift voucher

if you have no proof of purchase you have no rights i'm afraid. what was it and where did you buy it? did they take your details when you bought it?

Interesting that this is Apple policy. Spoke to a friend who works is Argos. The iTouch is exmpt fron thier 30 day refund. But if the unit is faulty they will exchange or refund no problem.

if you have no proof of purchase you have no rights i'm afraid. what was it and where did you buy it? did they take your details when you bought it?
    It was runners in Foot Locker, the tongue has completely broken out of them after a week.

I always keep receipts of electrical items etc but because it was runners and I had worn them I threw it out.

Do people think there is any point in even giving it a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Register your apple products.
    Makes things a lot easier if you have trouble at some point..

Its better to just ring apple yourself and let them collect it from your own
    house/work rather than having to:

1. Drive to the shop.
    2. Drive home.
    3. Probably ring the shop to see where it is.
    4. Having to drive to the shop and collect it.
    5. Then finally drive home.

Waste of fuel, time, and money..

Apple have an excellent online troubleshooting system and returns
    procedure.

Just my 2 cents..

It was runners in Foot Locker, the tongue has completely broken out of them after a week.

I always keep receipts of electrical items etc but because it was runners and I had worn them I threw it out.

there's no harm trying but i wouldn't hold out much hope

Got a credit note form Foot Locker without any hassle

Fair play to them, if only all retailers could be so customer friendly, I'll shop there again

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Carphone warehouse are not obligated to send apple products back to Apple. Same case as 3 network. All repair issues are dealt with by themselves. If apple decide to replace the product instead of repair they will give carphone warehouse an Rma number and than can be replaced in store. By law its 28 days faulty exchange period

• Advertisement

the 28 day faulty exchange period is not law, it's a company policy. The period is basically up to the retailer as long as it is "reasonable", which is the magic word when it comes to consumer law

Advertisement