Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing philips router help please.

Options
  • 05-04-2008 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

I have just got a philips wireless router and am trying to instal it. I have a fixed eircom netopia modem and wish to use a laptop which is not wireless.
    I have installed the usb adapater to my computer but need to instal the router, I believe I need to instal the security settings, authentication type, key type and encryption key. Are these standard for all eircom users or if not how can I get them. Would appreciate your help.

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

shawnee wrote: »
    I have just got a philips wireless router and am trying to instal it. I have a fixed eircom netopia modem and wish to use a laptop which is not wireless.
    I have installed the usb adapater to my computer but need to instal the router, I believe I need to instal the security settings, authentication type, key type and encryption key. Are these standard for all eircom users or if not how can I get them. Would appreciate your help.

:rolleyes:

Did you not get a manual with the Philips router? If you have the model no you can usually find a manual on the net.

What Netopia are you using? If it has router function you will more than likely have to 'bridge' it. this is to avoid duplicating the routing functions of the philips.

The security settings for the Philips have nothing to do with Eircom. you will be setting up a wireless network for your home and the security settings are to stop people accessing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yes I have the manual, the netopia is a cayman 3300 which was the standard one a year ago. Are you saying that I will get the settings from the manual. What does the term to bridge the modem mean ?
    Thanks a mil for your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

shawnee wrote: »
    Yes I have the manual, the netopia is a cayman 3300 which was the standard one a year ago. Are you saying that I will get the settings from the manual. What does the term to bridge the modem mean ?
    Thanks a mil for your interest.

If you connect the 2 devices as they are, it won't work. Both the Netopia and the Philips are routers. That means that aswell as providing routing functions on your network, they also are capable of assigning addresses to each computer/device on the network (DHCP Server). There can only be one DHCP server assigning addresses on any network. Therefore one router must be put into bridge mode and the other assigns the addresses.

If you poke through the netopia settings (http://192.168.1.254), you'll find a setting to disable DHCP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

When you have your bridging issues sort out all you need to do then is set up the Phillips. This should simply invovle naming your wireless network and setting your security type which should be wpa and setting a password to allow access to the network. Reading the manual will help.

Advertisement