Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What will you listen to when you get old?

• 05-04-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

What will the majority of us listen to when we end up old? Most of us grew up in the 70ies & 80ies and would be familiar with all the rock and metal classics and wouldnt have a clue or probably or an interest in barock composers like Mozart, Bach, Handel and Beethoven etc. My ma and alott of other old folks would tune into Lyric FM for soothing music. I could imagine the following remix from Metallica being played in an old folks home when we reach that age. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7csvgL-G3E

Anyone got any other "unusual" remixes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

metallica in an old folks home.
    I like the idea.

I guess your right
    I can see all the kids younger listening to dance and rap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Same as what I'm listening to now!!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hopefully listening to what I listen to now, but may become a fan of the new wave of zoomoto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

Gridlock wrote: »
    Same as what I'm listening to now!!:cool:
    +1 Future Retirement homes will be fitted with mosh pits :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ec18 wrote: »
    +1 Future Retirement homes will be fitted with mosh pits :P
    And a stand by cardiac unit :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm going to die rocking, the older i get the heavier stuff i'm getting into.
    I'll always love Rush,Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Sabbath etc, but recently i'm getting into Uninda,Kyuss, Hermano, Panthera, Down,Machine Head, Opeth, Sepultura.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Goregrind 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Same as what I do now. Led Zeppelin, then when I'm high, Pink Floyd:) Happy Days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

barock composers like Mozart, Bach, Handel and Beethoven etc.

Classical composers, I'm afraid! :)

I listen to a vast range of stuff now, and I only hope that it will get even vaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

U2?

• Advertisement

Undergod wrote: »
    Classical composers, I'm afraid! :)

I listen to a vast range of stuff now, and I only hope that it will get even vaster.
    My mistake, spelling wrong (although correct in German) These guys I listed are also known as Baroque composers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i'll still be listening to what i listen to now,could never envisage tuning in to lyric fm :eek:

lord lucan wrote: »
    i'll still be listening to what i listen to now,could never envisage tuning in to lyric fm :eek:
    Maybe Lyric FM will dedicate several hours towards rock and metal fans with remixes of well known tracks preformed by the James Last Orchestra :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

The way things are going, I imagine the kids of tomorrow will be listening to morse code or something, so even just listening to real music would make you 'old-fashioned'. :D

The way things are going, I imagine the kids of tomorrow will be listening to morse code or something, so even just listening to real music would make you 'old-fashioned'. :D
    When I was growing up my folks would say turn down that "noise" in your room. That "noise" would be the Ac/Dc, The Who, Stones or Led Zeppelin now I am their age and "Noise" to me would be Slayer, Cannibal Corpse and Machine Head. God knows what "noise" will be for the next generation :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

My mistake, spelling wrong (although correct in German) These guys I listed are also known as Baroque composers.

Do you mean Mozart and Beethoven are baroque as well as classical composers? And interestingly enough, 'barock' would have been a correct English spelling in the baroque era.

I really don't think there's much further ground to be covered in terms of heaviness, I mean once you start taking noise rock and stuff into account, things can't get much more loud and distorted. Be interesting to see what shocks us in twenty or thirty years' time.

Undergod wrote: »
    Do you mean Mozart and Beethoven are baroque as well as classical composers? And interestingly enough, 'barock' would have been a correct English spelling in the baroque era.

I really don't think there's much further ground to be covered in terms of heaviness, I mean once you start taking noise rock and stuff into account, things can't get much more loud and distorted. Be interesting to see what shocks us in twenty or thirty years' time.
    Im already shocked with much of the stuff thats out now :eek: In the old days you could understand the words of the lead singer :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ThousandLeaves

When I was growing up my folks would say turn down that "noise" in your room. That "noise" would be the Ac/Dc, The Who, Stones or Led Zeppelin now I am their age and "Noise" to me would be Slayer, Cannibal Corpse and Machine Head. God knows what "noise" will be for the next generation :eek:

Nah, these days noise is Wolf Eyes

among others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'd hope to still be listening to what I listen to now and what I've been listening to for the past 15 or so years.
    I've a good example set to me by my mam - she goes to more gigs than me and goes to a lot of them with my younger brother. This summer she's going to, amongst others - Prince, Leonard Cohen, Eric Clapton & Joe Satriani! Would be going to a hell of a lot more if she could afford them all.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

you will age, your taste will soften, and you will appreciate the quiter forms of music, just as you acquire a taste for beige comfortable clothes. It's inevitable. You will stay rocking until 50s I reckon then you'll mellow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don1 wrote: »
    you will age, your taste will soften, and you will appreciate the quiter forms of music, just as you acquire a taste for beige comfortable clothes. It's inevitable. You will stay rocking until 50s I reckon then you'll mellow.
    Nevar!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ill still be listening to pantera when im 70.

Advertisement