Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting at 3 pm in Garryowen

Options
  • 05-04-2008 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

There was a second shooting in Limerick today at 3pm in Garryowen. Two guys shot a guy on a bike four or five times and drove off.

Reports on the radio are saying the guy is dead.

It has been a busy week since Monday shooting wise in the city, that is the sixth or seventh shooting, but thankfully the only one where anyone was hurt/killed. It seems to have gotten worse since the arrival of the ERU last week. I am wondering is it actually worse since they arrived, or are the shootings just being reported more now that they are there?

http://www.95fm.ie/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=88444&pt=n

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Kess73 wrote: »
    ...I am wondering is it actually worse since they arrived, or are the shootings just being reported more now that they are there?

I think that what it shows is the complete "couldn't care less" attitude of the criminals to the ERU in the city. From the stories I've been listening to, it seems that incidents are happening all over the place while the ERU are in the relevant areas. They're not a deterrent anymore.

Limerick is very quickly coming close to boiling point. The "activity" has been building more and more with each passing week.

Anyone see the article in The Post this week where the Dundon/McCarthy gang now have an armour-plated, bulletproof glass BMW X5?? The article suggested that it could withstand explosives underneath it. Why bother to take such prrecautions unless you knew things were hotting up.

Much as I hate to say it ('cos I get sick of the portrayal of Limerick in the national media), it's going to be very nasty, very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Delphi91 wrote: »
    it's going to be very nasty, very soon.

Dont believe that it will ever progrees past what it already is really. People say that after every shooting but it never happens. id say it will always be tit for tat. nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Damomanye wrote: »
    Dont believe that it will ever progrees past what it already is really. People say that after every shooting but it never happens. id say it will always be tit for tat. nothing more.

so this tit for tat shootings are normality now for this city, yes?!

Damomanye wrote: »

It was very quiet for quite a while, but it seems to have gone up a gear or two with shootings/reprisals on an increasing basis lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe the fact that they did it in the middle of the day in a housing estate with lots of people, especially children on the streets is a new low and sticks two fingers up at the ERU imo.

It's only a matter of time before someone inocent gets caught up in this scumbag tit for tat feud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Could it be that the Gardai and ERU are happy to let the gang members shoot each other. I mean, as long as Joe public doesn't get harmed isn't it one way to get rid of these people - let them kill each other off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Could it be that the Gardai and ERU are happy to let the gang members shoot each other. I mean, as long as Joe public doesn't get harmed isn't it one way to get rid of these people - let them kill each other off.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

+1

One less scumbag to live amongst us.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

OP asks is it getting worse? As I've been told it has been getting worse for past couple of yrs. Any confirm that a selection of the local wildlife moved to Clonmel over a year ago? And yet violence in Limk is increasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Good point, the less Vermin left, the easier it will be to controll them.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Good point, the less Vermin left, the easier it will be to controll them.

If only it was as easy as that....

The thing about this situation is that as soon as one is gone, there's another to take his place. These guys are gods in their locality and the young ones look up to them bigtime. They see access to guns, money and a lifestyle they can only dream of. They're being brought into the system at young ages by being asked to carry guns for criminals. Look at the 14 year old who shot up a house in St. Mary's Park during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Delphi91 wrote: »
    If only it was as easy as that....

The thing about this situation is that as soon as one is gone, there's another to take his place. These guys are gods in their locality and the young ones look up to them bigtime. They see access to guns, money and a lifestyle they can only dream of. They're being brought into the system at young ages by being asked to carry guns for criminals. Look at the 14 year old who shot up a house in St. Mary's Park during the week.

That is the sad truth. perhaps the only solution is to show the kids there is a better way, seems like an impossible task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

galwayrush wrote: »
    That is the sad truth. perhaps the only solution is to show the kids there is a better way, seems like an impossible task.

Despite the obvious seriousness of this one (away from the usual flashpoint areas, etc) the Sunday World *still* managed to give the impression that it was worst than it was....

If you didn't know where Garryowen was, you'd have thought from their description that it as a major busy, shopping area with loads of people walking around the area doing their high-street shopping... :rolleyes:

No disrespect to anyone living there (I know a few people that are within half a mile of it), and this latest one does raise the bar a bit alright, given the location and the latest news that Gardai reckon that it might NOT be feud-related, but FFS..... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Despite the obvious seriousness of this one (away from the usual flashpoint areas, etc) the Sunday World *still* managed to give the impression that it was worst than it was....

If you didn't know where Garryowen was, you'd have thought from their description that it as a major busy, shopping area with loads of people walking around the area doing their high-street shopping... :rolleyes:

No disrespect to anyone living there (I know a few people that are within half a mile of it), and this latest one does raise the bar a bit alright, given the location and the latest news that Gardai reckon that it might NOT be feud-related, but FFS..... :mad:

You're spot on there, thats the first thing I said when i read that article. I'm thinking of writing a letter to them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Another body found at lunch time today. Was found near Hyde Road on waste ground.

No report on how the death came about as of yet, and no report on whether foul play was involved or not.

Gardai now saying they are viewing it as a suspicious death, and that it was found as Gardai were searching the area for weapons used in violent crimes and shootings over the course of the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The latest reports on the radio indicate that the body is that of a man in his twenties missing since saturday night and that the guards were tipped off by the man in custody being questioned about the murder of Mark Maloney.

Thats two murders since the ERU arrived. This situation is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I came home from town ( after looking for a wired Xbox 360 controller that I couldn't find in any shop !!!! ... sorry had to vent that ) around 12 and saw about 30 guards heading into Janesboro FC enterance , was wondering what it was about . Kids are always playing around over there , would have been a gruesome find for them if they had come accross it .

jonski wrote: »
    ...Kids are always playing around over there , would have been a gruesome find for them if they had come accross it .

Only saving grace (possibly) is that according to RTE website, the body was in a shallow grave.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0407/limerick.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe the fact that they did it in the middle of the day in a housing estate with lots of people, especially children on the streets is a new low and sticks two fingers up at the ERU imo.

It's only a matter of time before someone innocent gets caught up in this scumbag tit for tat feud.

With all this talk of the ERU wandering around aimlessly while shootings occur on the same street it seems to me that they are blind, deaf and most unfortunate of all, anxious to avoid confrontation.

- Although this innate ability to fail to detect criminals [ever] should make their settling-in period in Henry Street a lot more relaxed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Raiser wrote: »
    With all this talk of the ERU it seems to me that they are blind, deaf and most unfortunate of all, anxious to avoid confrontation.

- Although this innate ability to fail to detect criminals [ever] should make their settling-in period in Henry Street a lot more relaxed....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0411/limerick.html

Nice one Raiser, it seems you spurred them into action :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Nice one! Thats good to hear +1 for the ERU. Plenty more to go!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I know it not P.C., but did anyone else smile when they heard that the taser was used on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

CLADA wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0411/limerick.html

Nice one Raiser, it seems you spurred them into action :rolleyes:

The ERU was first deployed in Limerick in January 2003; I suppose they were bound to catch someone, sometime :D

- I put this massive success down to the fact that they lost the "Stealth-Helicopter" keys earlier on in the week and actually had to hit the streets!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The taser makes a change from the usual harsh words, finger waging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

From looking at the pics in the recent press coverage it appears they are still
    only issued with the Uzi 9mm's which are donkeys years old at this stage.
    Thought they were supposed to have been issued with the MP7 PDW.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

bullets wrote: »
    From looking at the pics in the recent press coverage it appears they are still
    only issued with the Uzi 9mm's which are donkeys years old at this stage.
    Thought they were supposed to have been issued with the MP7 PDW.

~B

A list of their weapons, from wiki

Primary
    Remington 870, fitted with Reflex sights
    Uzi submachine gun
    Heckler & Koch MP7 (to replace the UZI 9 mm)
    Steyr SSG 69
    Heckler & Koch G3KA4
    Heckler & Koch 33

Secondary
    Smith & Wesson 10 revolver
    Smith & Wesson Model 59
    Sig Sauer P226

Less Lethal
    Bean bag shot
    Pepper spray device
    Ferret Pepper spray shot
    TASER stun gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Mr E wrote: »
    I know it not P.C., but did anyone else smile when they heard that the taser was used on him?

They should have just shot him!

He's coming right for us! *Bang* :)

Advertisement