Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trade in HD-DVD player, get €150 off Blu-Ray player [Sony Stores]

• 05-04-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this advertised in the Sligo Sony Store.. seems like a good deal really considering you really don't get much for a HD-DVD Player if you do sell it on.

Or if you invested in that iBOOD HD-DVD player and maybe regret it, now is your chance to make amends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgiemcgrane

Checked with the Sony centre in Dundrum, they ddnt know anything about it ? ? ? any idea which other sony stores are running the deal ? How much is the cheapest blu ray player anyway ? anyone know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Checked with the Sony centre in Dundrum, they ddnt know anything about it ? ? ? any idea which other sony stores are running the deal ? How much is the cheapest blu ray player anyway ? anyone know.

Galway Sony Centre also have the offer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

whats their cheapest bluray player, and how much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

They have it in Sligo, say a poster. It think there cheapest is still 500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

Can you use the €150 against a ps3 as it is a Blu Ray player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

This was in the Irish times last friday. 150 trade-in only applies to Blu Ray players and is in ALL sony centres.

The cheapest Blu ray is 469 and before anyone asks, no the Xbox HD player doesn't count for this trade-in deal as it's an add-on as opposed to a standalone HD player !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

150 euros off a Blu-Ray player priced at 469 euros is a good deal.. especially is you bought the one on iBOOD.

You're more or less getting the money you paid for it back..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Might be interesting if it was for a ps3, but wouldn't really be interesting in a standalone player till prices come down a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Not trying to be cheeky ,but what would someone do with the Hd-DVD discs then?

311 wrote: »
    Not trying to be cheeky ,but what would someone do with the Hd-DVD discs then?
    Sell them on. The people who got a €60 XBOX HD-DVD player would be thankful for them!

Alternatively, they make a fantastic coaster, frisbee or a make-up mirror for the loved-one in your life! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 kellermaneire

Why on earth would you wanna trade in a hd player at the moment, ok its dead but still has 500 titles i think selling at very cheap and its unlikely blu ray discs will get much cheaper for a while, best thing to do is build your hd collection then when the Blu ray discs are cheaper buy a Ps3 at leaset its 2.0 profile compatible.

Why on earth would you wanna trade in a hd player at the moment, ok its dead
    I believe you just answered your own question there! ;)

I'm not getting into this debate again because it's coming up too often on BA... titles for it may be cheap but we all know the reason for that.

What's the point in having hardware that won't be able to buy new films for? A few months down the line.. you see 'Iron Man' or 'Indiana Jones' in the cinema and think I must buy that for my HD-DVD player when it comes out. Oh wait..! Oh noes! :(

On that logic.. why not buy a nice cheap VHS player? They're not releasing titles for it anymore, but they can be gotten very cheap in all good retailers (i.e car boot sales).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kellermaneire

ok you cant compare Vhs to hd dvd because with hd dvd you can get the same experience as blu ray. I have both hd dvd and blu ray so i can watch both but i wouldnt sell my hd dvd player; the bourne collection was 12.95 in a bogo at amazon, whens that coming to blu, there no date yet might be even 09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

This was in the Irish times last friday. 150 trade-in only applies to Blu Ray players and is in ALL sony centres.

The cheapest Blu ray is 469 and before anyone asks, no the Xbox HD player doesn't count for this trade-in deal as it's an add-on as opposed to a standalone HD player !

Sony BDPS300 429 Euro in sony centre swords

I have a spare hd dvd player from ibood, so that would be the reason i might consider something like this.... but only if blu ray discs were competitive with dvd. Also even with hd dvd dead* theres still a chance blu ray might go the same way... all though it probably won't at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

antoswords wrote: »
    Sony BDPS300 429 Euro in sony centre swords

...and only ~€300 to buy online.

I'm waiting on an iBood HD player...just to query why in the hell anyone would trade a player in so they could shell out a further ~€280 for a BDP...at that price point, better to just fork out another hundred and buy a PS3 if Blu ray is all that important to you.
    Okay the argument about title availablity in HDdvd stands...but the price point of BD titles still leaves it in poor second place to standard DVD....maybe that will fall alongside player prices....but right now I'm hanging on to HD dvd (assuming it ever arrives :rolleyes: )...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Blu-ray players are falling in price fast, very fast if you ask me.The death of hd-dvd and the publicity it got must ave been a good catalyst.These seem like good prices

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/643192/art/samsung/bd-p1400-blu-ray-player.html

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/598966/art/sony/bdp-s300-blu-ray-dvd-play.html

These players were a 100e more just 2 months ago.There good brands too so you can be sure it'll work.Pity the disks themselves are'nt falling in price
    I cant see bluray dying for a long time yet.Some believe that downloading movies will be the future but i'm not so sure that people want to have to wait 3 or 4 hours for a 1080p movie to download..Also, i'm not sure there is that much awareness of bluray yet, in the same way that dvd taking over vhs was a slow process.Remember blu ray has only really been around for a year yet

Be careful choosing a blu-ray player ,make sure it's compatible with the latest format.

I don't think them two players are.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not sure about this deal in Ireland, but in other countries, for this deal you need to still have the receipt and it needed to have been purchased before February, so the ibood deals wouldn't apply.

the first ibood player was in january though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

311 wrote: »
    Be careful choosing a blu-ray player ,make sure it's compatible with the latest format.

I don't think them two players are.

True, but the ps3 is the only bd-2.0 compatible player on the market afaik.That does pose the question though, how long are we away from blu-ray 3.0 or further???I dont think there are a lot of changes that can be made but if this is important the ps3 is the only player you should buy..Newly developed bd players will have to have a hard-drive with enough space to take any major updates in the future

Zonda999 wrote: »
    True, but the ps3 is the only bd-2.0 compatible player on the market afaik.That does pose the question though, how long are we away from blu-ray 3.0 or further???I dont think there are a lot of changes that can be made but if this is important the ps3 is the only player you should buy..Newly developed bd players will have to have a hard-drive with enough space to take any major updates in the future

The thread will probably be locked now ,sorry.

There will probably be flashing facilities for players soon ,so you put in a disc and it has the firmware to flash the drive .

The latest version of Blu-ray has been known for a while ,so I'd say newer players will be compatible.

Advertisement