Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for teaching placement

• 05-04-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi there,

This is probably a ridiculous question but, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I am looking for a few pointers on how to apply for teaching placement. Don't even know where to start, should I include copies of my results/ a cv??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

Hi,
    Is it for your hdip placement? Firstly make out a cover letter for the cv stating your subjects, what you need the placement for etc.. Have all your results on the cv(leaving cert, degree and anything extra) and a phone number of a referee to back up your experience, although if it's just for a hdip placement they mightn't bother with references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Thanks scut, yes it's for the hdip placement. Should I enclose a transcript of my results (degree)? On my cv should I just keep it academic; leaving cert/degree results or should I put down my work exp too ( not academic really) and then give an academic and a professional reference??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Call in and see someone in a school.
    You're far more likely to get a response.

Yeah i was wondering if dropping in would be a better idea?? Was considering applying to my former secondary school but was afraid dropping in might seem a bit pushy, then again at least if they meet u in person they get a better idea of you than reading a cv?? Damn this is stressful! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I taught in my old school for one of my teaching practice sessions (we did one in each of the four years). It was very odd. I couldn't bring myself to call teachers by their first name and as a result the staffroom was quite stressful. The benefit of teaching in your old school is you know the system and they might give you 'handy' classes.

There is a lot to be said though for doing your teaching practice in a school from a different system to that you went to yourself. It may seem frightening, but the 'tougher' the school the better. I can safely say that of our present crop of 'Dippers' that having taught our kids (mainly from the north inner city) all but one of them could teach anywhere having taught our kids. They tend to sort out the good from the chancers.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yeah i thought about this but then was thinking - first time teaching gonna be stressed out enough without being in a really tough school with huge class of demon kids. My old school was tiny (20 in my yr) so am thinking it would be less intimidating for first time out there! At same time i was thinking it will be extra stress coz the teachers know me and probably be twice as hard as doing it with strangers!

What are your subjects? I never seem to get a Dipper. :(
    Some colleagues manage to get one every year.

Your own school would presumably cushion you from trouble, but if you happen to have History or Geography or Computers and don't mind living dangerously* give me a shout.

* I'm joking Like any school, ours really only has a handful of idiots who cause trouble. Most of the kids are grand and very rewarding to teach.

My subjects are English and History!! Have more of an interest in the English though so am hoping to get that to the LC and history to the JC ideally! I've applied for a MA in renaissance English too - was gonna mention this in my cover letter?? Did lots of renaissance electives too so was gonna just mention it since shakespeare's on both JC and Lc, might sound good??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i also did my teaching practice in my old school. it was a bit weird at first, but most of the teachers were really welcoming and helpful. i also found it helpful that i knew the school, and i knew the rules and the things that you only learn from being in a school.....particularly when its your TP as you have enough stresses on you.

Yeah think I'll pop in for a chat with the principle anyway - that in itself will be wierd!! Sure no harm applying there, I can alway s decide not to go with it - plus my school was tiny so thinking fewer students might be easier to handle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Can anyone explain why a school considering a PGDE student would need to see Leaving Cert results on a CV considering that the person will (presumably) be teaching only their degree subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Hi Elle,
    I've had all the same concerns and questions as you!!!! I thought about going to my old scholl too but think it might be weird working with my old teachers. So I'm going to try another local school where my little brother is actually a pupil. I'll be teaching History & German. I thought I'd have to send a cv too but I've now heard that its better to just phone the school and make an appointment to see principal & usually quite an informal meeting. i imagine every school is different though. Whre are you going to be doing hdip?

yeah i've sent in a cv and cover letter to a few schools including my own, no harm in it I suppose, wait and see I guess!! i'm doing it in UCD how about you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NewbieT

Hi.
    Just secured a placement in a secondary school in Cork today. Very happy with the school, but for anyone still hanging around, the places are going fast. I rang the schools I wanted and basically asked what they required. Some have forms, or take in cv's to decide at a later stage. The process seems to differ widely.
    Congrats to anyone else who got a placement!

Hi,
    Congrats to NewbieT! I'm going to be studying the hdip in Cork too! Was about 90% sure I had a place in a local school today and then found out the place was gone! So I handed in a cv and cover letter to my old school and am posting 5 more in the morning. Starting to panic now!

I know a couple of the schools I have applied to choose their hdippers through cv and then interview -

on a different note - I sent in my acceptance and fee last monday and have heard nothing back yet, is this normal cao activity?? gonna call them to check if nothing by end of week just to be sure but said on the offer that they would send info once they received fee!!

I paid mine last week too and have heard nothing from CAO but got an info pack from UCC. I thought taht once they receive your payment they completely hand you over to the relevant university and when I got pack I thought that was like a confirmation.

Aaaah ok then I haven't got one of those but its UCD so kinda explains that!!! Not too quick on the info are UCD!!! :D Might give em a call end of week if I hear nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stevestaunton

well lads i also got the dip in ucd congrats to all else who have and hard luck to anyone who didnt there is always next year.. i like elle above havent heard back from the college and what i want to know is should i already be looking for a scholl or should i wait to hear from ucd? and just one more thing guys when writing a cover letter to a school what exactly should i put on it i.e my degree my interests my work exp or what? thanking you in advance the gaffer...
    Ps i find this board very helpful

Hi there Steve, I called the PDEAC offices today and asked about the lack of info. I was told that this is all fine, they got my acceptance and fee and now it's in the hands of UCD. She said I'd get info within next couple of months but she couldn't say when because it depends on the college.

I sent out my cvs this week, I just put down work exp, results, interests , normal cv stuff then on cover letter mentioned what subjects I am doing, etc.

Do you know when the course starts??? I heard something about August but can't seem to find dates!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stevestaunton

well elle, yeah i actually got the pack there from UCD there today so i'l start doin my cv and stuff tomo or that.. accordin to the post i got it's startin the 25th of august so not to bad..did you get yourself a school yet or did ya just send in the CVs?

Hurray I got my pack today! Was starting to worry! Just sent in cvs there the other day, have an interview tomorrow but it's not my first preference school, fingers crossed I'll hear from them soon! One other school pos was already gone! Why do they choose our busiest time to send out the offers :(

I got a placement in my old school but the principal recommended I keep looking cos the schools gone downhill (class numbers are small and its gotten kind of rough) but all the schools in Cork city and suburbs are full!!!! Is anyone else in Cork having problems finding placements? Also, the school can only give me first year, 2nd year & transition year classes in history. German is my second subject but they don't teach it in the school anymore. Also, are we meant to have received something about Garda vetting?

Hey there,
    Yeah I had a chat with my old school too, told me they won't see me stuck but in terms of broader exp and job prospects next yr i'm better off going elsewhere, have interview this week, local school, be good i think, hopefully get it! I"m in Dub but I think it's same situation here, a few places i called told me they aren't sure if they're taking hdippers this yr but to send cv in case they decide to - pain in the ass hey! Yeah I got garda vetting form to be sent back by may

My old principal told me that a lot of the cork schools only take past pupils. Im going to phone all the ones I sent cvs to tomorrow anyway just to follow up on them. Have to be a bit pushy!

Experience in 'rough' schools counts for quite a bit when you're looking for a job.

ha yeah I phoned one I had sent cv to on monday. The principal told me she was gonna ring that afternoon but had been away for the past few days, have interview this week anyway so fingers crossed. If not I may get back on the phone!

I applied to one "rough" school just to try it out, wouldn't really mind the challenge but then again maybe first time out there teaching an easy ride would be good!

Hey just had interview and got a place in the school I wanted!!! Interview was very informal, not at all what i thought it would be very relaxed !

Congrats! Ru going to be teaching both of your subjects or just 1? I can't find anywhere thats taking hdips for German! Historys my primary subject though so should be ok but I would prefer to get practice in both.

• Advertisement

Both! My first subject, english, is no problem but second, history, is taken. They told me they'll make sure I fit in a couple of history classes a week though so am happy enough with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MissLe

I'm also doing the dip in ucd. My subjects are Music and Geography. I sent out cvs last week but haven't heard anything back yet! Am starting to get worried! If I don't here anything by Friday I'll follow them up with phone calls. Congrats Elle on getting your school!

Thanks MissLe - I sent mine out last week too and heard nothing back. I called the school I had interview with on Monday (because it was driving me crazy) and the secretary told me she was going to call that eve anyway- saved her the hassle hey! No harm to call and check it out, least it will ease your mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Does it ever happen that PGDE students just don't get school placements? What happens then? I'm getting nervous...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MissLe

am also gettin nervous! where you doing the dip? its so annoying that you've to organise the placement yourself well especially for the people that aren't in the vicinty like me in Donegal and trying to get placement in Dublin!

Everyone seems to be finding it really hard to get placement. I'm in Dublin but I know a couple of places I called said they weren't sure if they were taking hdips but send cv anyway! Was totally panicking til I got my place. I just sent cvs out then called places if I heard nothing. Bit of a nightmare though, as if this time of year isn't busy enough already - STRESS!! Friends of mine doing primary teaching and the college found their placement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

MissLe wrote: »
    am also gettin nervous! where you doing the dip? its so annoying that you've to organise the placement yourself well especially for the people that aren't in the vicinty like me in Donegal and trying to get placement in Dublin!
    I'm doing it in Cork and I'm also trying to organise from far away - though since I'm in Asia, I totally win this loser game!
    Since our school year starts in April, I'm just settling into the new school year. I mostly teach first grade in high school, so now I'm trying to learn a million new names. That I'll have a second new school year (and a million more names) in a few months is a bit unreal. I'm finding it hard to get a move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 finicio

I'm doing it in Cork and I'm also trying to organise from far away - though since I'm in Asia, I totally win this loser game!
    Since our school year starts in April, I'm just settling into the new school year. I mostly teach first grade in high school, so now I'm trying to learn a million new names. That I'll have a second new school year (and a million more names) in a few months is a bit unreal. I'm finding it hard to get a move on.

Hi Clartharlear,

Ive gotten placement in Cork for Maths and Science in my old school..

Got offered a place in another school aswell..

Do you have alist of schools in Cork City to apply to?

If you want PM me your email address and I can send you a list and a few contact email addresses that I used when applying..

Advertisement