Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Question

Options
  • 05-04-2008 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I bought my car in Feb 2006 and it was due it's first NCT in March. I was told that I'd be sent a provisional date for it. Waited and heard nothing. I was in college and had plenty of things to do so eventually I had to organise it myself a few months later (about October). Passed it no problem.
    So 2 years on, NCT was due last month and didnt get any bit of info on it. Like wtf? Im not going to do it until I need a service and I'll do the lot together. Is it true that they're supposed to send you out a date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

They have stopped sending out reminder letters for some daft reason. Now you have to remember when it's due and book it in yourself. I think they put a note on your tax renewal form to remind you.

I went through 2 Garda checkpoints with mine out of date, and they weren't bothered about it. However i read in the paper today that some judge from Cork was fined for not having an up to date NCT disc on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

They have stopped sending out reminder letters for some daft reason. Now you have to remember when it's due and book it in yourself. I think they put a note on your tax renewal form to remind you.

I went through 2 Garda checkpoints with mine out of date, and they weren't bothered about it. However i read in the paper today that some judge from Cork was fined for not having an up to date NCT disc on display.

ya, my thread was kind of a follow on from that Cork case. Ive just taxed my car and there was nothing to do with NCT in it. I even went through a check point yesterday and they didnt care about the NCT at all seemingly- tax and ins are all in order. When my NCT was up last time (well, it had never been done before but was due) i drove through several checkpoints for tax and ins and no problem at all. Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The \/\/anderer

I reckon the guards only bother prosecuting people who pi5s them off. So if you roll down the window and start giving out to them for delaying you or something, they'll be only too delighted to prosecute.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik it is the responsibility of the registered owner of the car to arrange the NCT appointment when it is due.

The NCT Centre used to send out a letter of notification to registered owner when the first NCT test was due on the car on the fourth anniversary of the date of original registration. Not sure if they still do this however.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

bazz26 wrote: »
    Afaik it is the responsibility of the registered owner of the car to arrange the NCT appointment when it is due.

The NCT Centre used to send out a letter of notification to registered owner when the first NCT test was due on the car on the fourth anniversary of the date of original registration. Not sure if they still do this however.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jeapy wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me!

You should be able to get definate answers here:

www.nct.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

They stopped sending out letters, simply because they are weeks, in some areas months, behind schedule.

Advertisement