Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Mayo...

• 05-04-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

This forum seems to be a little dead lately! Anyway, lookin' for somewhere nice to go for a drive tomorrow. Ive been to the waterfall in Tourmakeady-amazing! So Im kind of looking for something along them lines. Im from the South East of the county, don't mind travelling as long as its worth it. Any suggestions? ...Now dont all shout together ya'll!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

A drive from Killala to Portacloy along the north cost, passing through Lacken, Ballycastle, Belderrig and Porturlin ...... the incredible beach at Lacken, Downpatrick Head, stop off at Stella Maris in Ballycastle for lunch, Ceide Fields, the north Mayo sculputure route all along it, Belderrig harbour, the cliff walks at Belderrig rising to 1,000 feet, Porturlin harbour, Pigs and Horse Islands, the stags of Broadhaven. Heaven on earth ..... make sure and don't tell to many people cos it really is the last major chunk of the western coastline that hasn't been changed by tourism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

blast05 wrote: »
    A drive from Killala to Portacloy along the north cost, passing through Lacken, Ballycastle, Belderrig and Porturlin ...... the incredible beach at Lacken, Downpatrick Head, stop off at Stella Maris in Ballycastle for lunch, Ceide Fields, the north Mayo sculputure route all along it, Belderrig harbour, the cliff walks at Belderrig rising to 1,000 feet, Porturlin harbour, Pigs and Horse Islands, the stags of Broadhaven. Heaven on earth ..... make sure and don't tell to many people cos it really is the last major chunk of the western coastline that hasn't been changed by tourism.

That sounds lovely! Im ashames to say Ive never been up that way really apart from a few football matches! You sell the place well! now for a blonde question, how do i get to killala? is it through ballina or whats the best way to go? i'd be coming up through foxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Thing to do in Mayo, Leave.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Jeapy wrote: »
    That sounds lovely! Im ashames to say Ive never been up that way really apart from a few football matches! You sell the place well! now for a blonde question, how do i get to killala? is it through ballina or whats the best way to go? i'd be coming up through foxford.

Killalla next town west of Ballina.
    There is a lovely drive also from Westport to Louisberg on to delphi and Leenane.

The atlantic drive in Achill is also excellent!!!

Get that map out girl:D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

artieanna wrote: »
    Killalla next town west of Ballina.
    That would be Crossmolina. Killala is more north. Coming from Foxford, drive straight through Ballina without taking any turns.
    There is a lovely drive also from Westport to Louisberg on to delphi and Leenane.
    QFT.
    The atlantic drive in Achill is also excellent!!!
    QFT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The scenery around North Mayo is stunning. I remember being somewhat awestruck on a drive from Castlebar to Bellmullet without taking any detours for scenic reasons. Go get lost up there for a weekend and you'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Suggestions :
    1. Ballina to Tubbercurry via Bonniconlon and Lough Talt. Fabulous Ox Mountain drive. Get out along the way and take a walk in the hills.
    2. Cong Woods.
    3. Clonbur Woods and the southern shore of Lough Mask.
    4. Take the road out of Castlebar for Belmullet. Having passed Nephin Mountain on your right, take the left turn that says Keenagh / Traenlaur Lodge (approx. 32 km from C'bar). Keep driving all the way to Newport. The road becomes a gravel track after a while, but your car will get through no problem. Stop anywhere along the way and have a picnic.
    5. Don't go near Achill - it's yuck.
    6. C'bar to Pontoon road (out past Welcome Inn). Stop for a drink in Healy's Hotel, rather than the Pointoon Bridge Hotel. Continue on and take the Foxford turn, rather than straight on for Ballina / Knockmore. Park your car in one of the little spaces at the lakeside on the right or forest entrances on the left. Go for a walk in the woods.
    7. As mentioned by somebody else, the whole Ballycastle, Downpatrick Head, Céide Felds area.
    8. Anywhere beyond Bellacorick. This is Ireland's largest area without a road. Take a right turn anywhere, park the car and go into the country's largest plantation area. I don't want to call it a forest, because it's nothing but Spruce plantations etc. But it's massive and you won't meet any humans.
    9. I repeat : stay away from the destroyed and yuck Achill.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

Connacht wrote: »
    Suggestions :

5. Don't go near Achill - it's yuck.

9. I repeat : stay away from the destroyed and yuck Achill.

hehe i like that

Advertisement