Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy (Power) on AM

• 05-04-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭

I had been very vaugely aware of the existence for a while of a Dublin pirate on Medium Wave calling itself "Energy Power 1395 AM". Having been reminded of it in recent times in various posts, I decided to give it a listen last weekend. (I think I might have heard it once previously for about five minutes last year!) As far as I can gather, this station has been on the go about two years ...am I right?

Energy is actually on 1386 khz (216 metres) these days. I have to say I was quite impressed with its mixture of golden oldies - plenty of hidden gems there. It tended to play minor and moderate hits from the past, plus some slightly less played Beatles tunes like "I am The Walrus". Needless to say, I did not like everything played on the station. After all, that would be impossible!

Loosely speaking, in musical terms (or at least what I heard of it), Energy is like a kind of Premier with a particular emphasis on Adult Rock and Pop - some awful Lionel Ritchie tune proved to be the exception rather than the rule!

Reception wise: well, obviously not consistent. Familiar story for those who remember MW pirates. For people used to FM pirates, it does take a little adjustment. That said, for the majority of time that I listened to it, once my house radios settled down the reception was very good. I must say it sounded great on the car radio - no interference or humming noises whatsoever. (You can tell that I'm technically-oriented!). Overall, the signal was quite strong.

Does anyone know who is involved, or who was in the past? Is it a one-man show? Is it the same person who is heard on their intermittent idents? Does it ever have any live broadcasts, etc? And do the principal or principals involved have any previous form in radio? I presume it's a hobby horse station, i.e. no commercial radio ambitions.

Also ... what does anybody else think of this station?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Without giving too much away its a couple of old 80s radio heads that are still interested in broadcasting. I haven't heard them do that much live stuff over the last year or so, but they definitely have done some in the past.

Theres a link somewhere on the radiowaves site to some pics of the TX and stuff - they have a nice AM optimod working on the audio which will give it a lovely smooth sound. Power is apparently about 300 watts, and they're based on the Southside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

I have been listening to this station most of this afternoon today. Actually, I'm listening to it right now! Quite interesting mix of music. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

Reception is quite good actually. I'm in South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Having established that Energy AM's transmitter is behind the mysterious broadcasts the last few days on 1395kh, maybe it's time to take stock of this now long-running AM pirate.

The first thing I would do is ask the moderator if it could be possible to merge this with other threads basically about the same station. There are a few!
    Here they are:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82036949
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84794894
    and most recently:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057688505

It is quite some time since I heard it on with its oldies. Is it the same mix of '70s, '80s and '90s forgotten hits, with the odd '60s and early '00s? How has the reception been recently - yesterday evening and today's relay of other stations did not sound good (last thread above). Does it still have its idents/jingles? How far is its reach?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SATNAV

Heard a station on 1395 AM over weekend sound quality was excellent in south Dublin , Are Energy coming back ? no station ID just music playing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

They are live testing today as Energy AM. Saturday 18th March 2017.
    https://www.facebook.com/energyam

Heard them today,
    seem to be live with presenters i head two guys during the day , playing some great 80s .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

1395 has been relaying various stations over the last few weeks including GCR Digital Radio and 8Radio.

Yes ,
    But today they had their own guys on air ,as they were also mentioning FB and Energy AM 1395 with jingles .

Advertisement