Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Boardeaux 1-1 Full Irish Tues 8 Apr - 7pm @ Wesley

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

apologies for giving that penalty away. in my defence i thought it was a farce, im almost positive it was well outside the box and i barely touched the lad.
    Just my 2c, but when a player is going away from goal and you're inside or on the edge of your own box, generally speaking you shouldn't touch him. No need to apologise, just a clumsy challenge and there was 2 incidents before that which could have been peno's so I think the ref had already made up his mind by the time your man hit the deck.

As the old saying goes, when you lose, don't lose the lesson. Ok it's not a defeat but it is the sign of a very good team that learns from its mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think they won 3-0 tonight.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    SS up next. We owe these guys a beating. Anyone who played in the 4-3 game must still be sore.
    Remember it as clear as day. Tough fixture next week, have to be on our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

One of those nights really, we should have hammered them. Penalty was a farce, it was only given because they were complaining about the one not given against Karl. I think Ian in the middle improves us no end, fantastically comfortable on the ball. Lepo and Larry definitely deserving of a mention too, thought both were excellent. Thought the level of communication throughout the team was a lot better than last season too so lots of positives to go on from tonight I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh loads of positives. Think we can definitely play a 4-5-1 with Dan enforcing and Kenny and Ian playing the more attacking role. We can utilise this against some of the stronger sides we come against perhaps or use it with our most attacking options at full back and on the wings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Some lovely football played by us, particularly in the first half, and a lot of positives when you consider we didn't have Ed, Gav, Martin, or Art available tonight - with our full squad we will be a very strong team.

Lepo and Larry had blinders, doing great stuff in possession, ran the show over there though again there's an opportunity for Lepo to push up more often to press the midfield and push his winger into more space.

And yep, Iain gives us an extra ball holder in the middle which we have definitely lacked so that's a great addition. Holding onto it in dangerous areas will be swiftly stamped out as he'll get sick of our voices burning in his ears too ;) To me, Iain's pretty much the definition of a holding midfielder though - his natural inclination was clearly to stay 15 yards in front of his defence and spray the ball around from there, works well.

Gotta say though, considering all the talent we have in our squad, we should be looking back at this game as 2 points dropped, cos we're a far better team than them and we were the only ones looking to play decent football.

They were some whingers though I have to say - reminds me of how we must have been before we got our act together on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

such a shame to drop those points but on another day we would have had five. I thought kenny did exceptionally in the middle and myself and geoff kept it nice and tight at the back, I think we can be very happy over all with the performance tonight. A few more shots on target and we would have three points in the bag.

Roll on next week

What's the official word on Sunday 5-a-side? We can't afford another bad turnout esp when there's 4 or 5 lads trying to get into the team, it's only fair they get some kind of platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Definitely 2 pts dropped. They were a very ordinary side

Thought Sav was excellent 1st half. In the 2nd we were dragged down to their level

From a personal point quite frustrated not to feature with my performances in both friendlies in mind and especially when its roll on roll off. But I accept it, its a team game after all, just thought I could have made a difference.

Will be putting it all in on Sunday to make sure I feature next week;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Well played lads but i do feel we were the much better team. The peno was soft and outside the box but i guess we will get a decesion at some point during the rest of the season.

Looking forward to Sunday. See most of yas then i hope ;)

Edit: Jules/des, i totally understand playing what you know in a tight game at the start of the season, no need to apologise though im sure all us new lads were disappointed not to get on.

• Advertisement

Fair play Owen, though to be clear - all decisions are made by Des and as captain my job is to rally the troops and get his message to them. The Sergeant Major to his Officer if you will :)

Hopefully the couple of lads who didn't get a game won't be too disheartened by it all. It was a very tight game and one were substutions can win or lose you the game. Keep the heads up anyway. A much tougher challenge coming up next week as well.

For the lads who weren't involved, take our word for it that you will get your run and the way things go it could be sooner than you think. It's difficult getting a consistent 11 out, for example I'm away for the Ravenhill game on 22 April and I believe there's a few lads who wont be around for a chunk of games over the summer so we need yiz to stick it out.
    Last night was no time for willy nilly substitions, I know it's frustrating watching it an thinking you can change the game but it's even more frustrating on the pitch when things aren't going to plan, remember it's a 'team' and it should never be made into an 'us and them' thing.

There's a coupla lads to come back from injury too so that should keep everyone on their toes. I admit I haven't seen enough of some of the newer personnel so it could be a case of the manager not yet knowing where you are best deployed...thats assuming there's some kinda method to the old git's madness :D

Yeh, I think in the past we've suffered from making "willy nilly" subs (as Sav so eloquently puts it :D) and if we have ambitions to actually win something than we had to cut that out. Everyone gets frustrated when they dont play. I was frustrated yesterday cause I was injured an couldn't play. Have to channel that frustration into putting in a good performance when the chance finally comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

thought it was a good performance and we were unlucky not to take the win. We were just a final ball away at times but we played some great stuff around the park and everyone was willing to get on the ball and try and play the right way. Few things need to be ironed out but they're basic things that will come with more games and people getting to know their positions and the players around them.

More positives than negatives definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

About 5 a side on the weekends, I think we should definitely do it and we only need 10 to make it work. I'm away this weekend (despite my voting for saturday at the match..) but will be there any weekend i'm not.

I'll be at the 5 a side no matter what day provided I'm passed fit by the physio tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'll be dropping plans for the 3rd weekend in a row so really hope there's a proper turnout.

If we haven't decided on a day yet...Saturday suits me much better, but will make arrangements to be there either day. I'd appreciate if it can be confirmed asap.

Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

ill be there either day, saturday suits me best tho

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

Sunday all the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I can only do sunday this weekend.

I can do any time on Sunday but have a christening to go to on Saturday....from now on call me Godfather :p

Think theres a Man U v Arsenal game on at 4pm. Don't bother me cos I'd rather play than sit and watch, but it would affect numbers, so let's agree a time that doesn't clash with it.

I'm not available Sunday.

BUT.

That doesn't mean this doesn't go ahead.

I think the majority put their hands up for Sunday.

let's just roll with Sunday afternoon, maybe early enough so anyone who cares can make the Grand Slam Superfantastic Sunday kick off :rolleyes:

If you're not turning up because of a game like that then get the priorities sorted. Me, Dave and Des all missed Shels games last year to prioritise Boards. And that was actually going to a game. Not sitting on your arse watching some overhyped rubbish. The only reason you should ever miss training or a match is if she's hot

Savman wrote: »
    let's just roll with Sunday afternoon, maybe early enough so anyone who cares can make the Grand Slam Superfantastic Sunday kick off :rolleyes:
    This is the best compromise imo.

What about 2pm Sunday?

People can stay for an hour, hour and a half if they want?
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    If you're not turning up because of a game like that then get the priorities sorted. Me, Dave and Des all missed Shels games last year to prioritise Boards. And that was actually going to a game. Not sitting on your arse watching some overhyped rubbish. The only reason you should ever miss training or a match is if she's hot
    I have no problem with people missing matches/training if they are going to a game, be it in Tolka Park, The Emirates or Moscow.

If people are putting pub-going or drinking or TV matches ahead of this team, it will become pretty obvious.

I'm not an idiot folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

lets go with sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'd like to catch the match on Sunday but will be there regardless. As i said before i joined up, i'll be there whenever i can and watching a game will come second (its what sky+ is for).

Yeh, I would like to watch it too of course. Even with my extreme bias towards the Eircom League. But playing football is more fun. Simple as. Will let you know this evening Des after physio how I'm set for both this and Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

I won't be able to make it this weekend lads. Would have liked to have played on Sun alright...

but not as much as I'd have liked to hear Jules make his pledge aloud to the Lord Jebus in Heaven to bring the sprog up a good obedient cattelic. He'll never manage it and keep a straight face :D

Advertisement