Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relakks on IBB: How do you do it?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I noticed relakks are doing a 30-day trial so I signed up earlier but for the life of me I can't get the damn thing to connect.

I have the Netgear DG834G that came with IBB and I'm guessing it's some kind of router setup issue, but relakks's faq is pretty sparse. I get an error 800 when I try to connect, which according to them is an outdated (pre-2000) firmware. The Netgear router has the newest firmware.

Can anyone who knows how this works please help me out here? I've opened ports for PPTP and IPSEC in the firewall rules.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Okay first off what the hell is relakks.

Post a link to something, wikipedia, the home page, anything.

It could be a port issue, I'd look at portforward.com if you know the ports you need to open. I'd also look up to see if there have been any firmware updates for the router that might fix the issues your having with whatever is required to get the software to work.

Also check your windows firewall settings and make sure that the program or ports are open on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A pre 2000 firmware? It would have cost €2000 back then for the same functionality. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Relakks is a secure was to browse and use other apps online by offering a VPN connection (PPTP) between you and Sweden and then out onto the interweb from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Like a proxy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Like a proxy?

Nah a VPN would be better than a proxy. Its like your on their network and all the traffic is encrypted going over your ISP's network.

Surely this is no use for gaming and the like and is basically for illegal activity or the paranoid who want to browse websites.

I imagine it would seriously mess up gaming connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Ah ok i see lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

No, I've used Relakks before over IBB with no problems. Nothing special was done, just created a PPTP VPN connection from Vista and that's it, worked fine.

Was the only way I could play online games from Sony (Star wars, Planetside etc.,) as otherwise they were unplayable on IBB's network due to the ports used being in the range of that what was being used by torrents, and as such restricted in some way by IBB at the time (cba to check if it's still the case these days). Ping from the Swedish VPN was fine, was getting maybe 80ms max.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Protocol7

Do you ever find it hard to connect to it? I managed to get it to connect alright, but only once. If I try now it sits there at the connecting screen, then up comes the error 800 again. If it worked fine (once) before then I don't think this error is accurately reflecting the problem as I haven't changed any router settings.

It could also be that the service might not be as good on the free trial account, but who knows. I'm thinking server load may be the issue.

I haven't been using it for the last while as I can't be bothered playing the SOE games anymore, so no real need to use the Relakks, so can't really say how it's been operating lately. I'll give it a go though later when I'm home and let you know how it's running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slimyxx

Ive used relakks extensively over the past 6 months. Ever since they introduced the 30 day free trial, the connection doesnt seem to stay connected and dies ALOT more then it used to (this could be coincidence, but i dunno).

I have not been able to connect in almost 3 days now (except earlier today for about 5mins, then it died again). Ive read forum posts from a year+ ago, that reference long outages like this, but nothing new besides this forum. It makes me think that this could be an isolated issue, but I would bet that its not.

I wonder if these new "free trial accounts" are being cutoff by relakks? I hesitate to go pay for another month, considering the quality of this service over the past weeks.

One last tip. If you plan to use relakks, setup this script (or something similar). Its the only way ive found to keep your connection monitored and up (when you can connect, lol). Here's the link: http://forum.piratpartiet.se/Topic75482-164-1.aspx

Good luck and please keep this thread updated with your progress!!

• Advertisement

Sorry I forgot to reply.

Relakks still working fine for me, had to use it tonight in order to use Flickr in any workable way on IBB.

Ping seems to have gone up though, 140ms average now.

Had a couple of problems trying to connect to it earlier also.

In short, seems not to be as stable as it once was but I got my Relakks connection for free from a friend in Swe that works for them or knows someone that works (or something along those lines) for them. Dunno how long is left on the account but if it cancels itself I wouldn't be bothered much in losing it either.

I've been using the VPN service from StrongVPN.com (US based) while travelling with work in certain countries around the world and find them grand to use, with the added benefit of being able to watch Lost episodes from ABC's website :)

Advertisement