Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Car in UK

Options
  • 05-04-2008 8:18pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A mate of mine was telling me that he is thinking of buying a car in the UK.

How does it work? He reckons he can save a packet.

What do you have to bring it back? How does insurance work etc?

Can any one recommend were to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Excellent guide here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

kearnsr wrote: »
    A mate of mine was telling me that he is thinking of buying a car in the UK.

How does it work? He reckons he can save a packet.

What do you have to bring it back? How does insurance work etc?

Can any one recommend were to go?

Great time to buy, excellent exchange rate and cheaper cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Just back from BCA car auction in Manchester. Yep got a great deal. Well worth it. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Tell us more, mkem!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Bought an '05 Avensis T3-S for £6,000 plus £250 fees. I chose Manchester because you have a choice of Airports and it is convenient to either Birkenhead or hollyhead ferries. In total the car cost 13,500. Only 28K mileage with Serv Hist. and one owner. Although the car did not meet the reserve, I would not budge on my bid of 6K and the vendor accepted. In total, 750 cars were sold that day. There are 3 auctionhalls there so things happen very quickly. When I first arrived I was running around like a headless chicken. Trying to look at every car but looking at nothing. So I went to the cafe shop on site with the 3 catalogues and went through them and picked out 20-25 cars that would suit me and my budget. I looked at them before they went to auction. There are many quality cars there, but also a few lemons so if you do not know much about cars, bring someone who knows about cars with you. I booked a return flight initially as I did not want to be presurised into buying for the sake of buying. Again best of luck to those who decide to go over and thanks to those who gave great advice on previous threads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement