Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Without life, is God meaningless?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

If all of humanity was wiped out by a super-virus, would God just pack it in, or what? Its kind of like that question in the Matrix II, when the councillor posed to Neo whether the machines are our slaves, or if we are slaves to the machines. Is God a slave for us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Well, seeing as it's humans that made God, not the other way around, then God certainly would be meaningless without life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

. Is God a slave for us?

No. It is a human creation and therefore still non-existant without human life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Of course I mean the concept of God, but when you think about it, even the real diety is pointless in such a scenario. Perhaps the animals would be still present, but they are all atheists!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Deep.

Of course I mean the concept of God, but when you think about it, even the real diety is pointless in such a scenario. Perhaps the animals would be still present, but they are all atheists!

:)

Are they? I don't think they're dogmatic about the non existence of a God(s)

• Advertisement

Are they? I don't think they're dogmatic about the non existence of a God(s)

My goldfish is.

Cool.

images3.wikia.nocookie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

images3.wikia.nocookie
    Broken daithi, 1 http too many. Nice cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

tbh This is a more interesting question if approached from a theist perspective. Given that God doesn't exist except in the human imagination, without humans, 'God' would obviously be meaningless. I don't see any other answer here.

In fact, being an atheist, I might be forced to point out that 'meaning' - at least in the sense maybe intented - doesn't exist at all anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

:D bravo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If humanity were wiped out, the remaining animals would maybe evolve into sentient beings that would of course invent new gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think a chistian would probably argue that this universe is only temporary, and eventually god will destroy it, but thats ok, because then we'll be in 'paradise' for eternity. Even if all life was destroyed, our souls would survive.

(of course that's a load of nonsense)

I think its interesting that Christians seek a meaning in life through God. The meaning in life is to worship god and be loved by him and get into heaven ( tho i still don't get it)

But what is the meaning of life for god? If we need a higher power to give us meaning, what is the higher power that gives meaning to god? Is the purpose of God just to exist? Why can't the purpose of a godless universe to be just to exist?

Yeah, I hear ya. For me, God and heaven removes the whole meaning of life for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Assumption: The Biblical God exists.

So, your pet sentient species was wiped out? Well that sucks. But don't worry friend! You have ultimate power. With less than no effort you can create a new absolutely identical species! Or a completely different one! Or make it so that they never died. Time and space don't limit you. And who am I, you ask? NO MORE QUESTIONS!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe God is Dark Matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe God is Dark Matter.

Indeed! If you looking for an amusing interlude, take a look at this thread over in philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Zillah wrote: »
    Assumption: The Biblical God exists.

So, your pet sentient species was wiped out? Well that sucks. But don't worry friend! You have ultimate power. With less than no effort you can create a new absolutely identical species! Or a completely different one! Or make it so that they never died. Time and space don't limit you. And who am I, you ask? NO MORE QUESTIONS!
    Do not look behind the curtain!

Advertisement