Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Radio / Walkie talkie - Advice please

• 05-04-2008 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a walkietalkie type radio set. I'd like to be able to use a headset or PTT mic when I'm cycling with a group of people to keep in touch with the opposite end of the bunch.

Ideally Im after something with a couple of KM reach (line of sight taken into account) and some way lightweight.. but hands free or a push to talk button on a lead of some sort that I could clip to my collar would be exactly what I need.

Sorry if I sound like a complete newb, but Im hoping the experts here might be able to put me in the right direction.

The budget is around €100 for the radio and headset / ptt connection.. and it'd be great to get it cheap enough to buy 2.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a walkietalkie type radio set. I'd like to be able to use a headset or PTT mic when I'm cycling with a group of people to keep in touch with the opposite end of the bunch.

Ideally Im after something with a couple of KM reach (line of sight taken into account) and some way lightweight.. but hands free or a push to talk button on a lead of some sort that I could clip to my collar would be exactly what I need.

Sorry if I sound like a complete newb, but Im hoping the experts here might be able to put me in the right direction.

The budget is around €100 for the radio and headset / ptt connection.. and it'd be great to get it cheap enough to buy 2.

Thanks!

This one looks fairly good for what you are looking for, it's called HYT TC1688 Rugged Executive PMR446 Radio.

http://www.cqcomms.com/2way.htm

Scroll down a bit of the page to see it.

* Up to 3 km range (terrain dependant)
    * Digital alarm clock - ideal for holidays
    * Time out timer (TOT) - save battery life
    * Illuminated LCD display - easy use at night
    * 38 CTCSS channel/CTCSS scan - less interference
    * VOX operation with audio accessories - flexibiloity
    * External speaker & MIC jack
    * Keypad lock - safe operation
    * Battery save low battery energy warning
    * 5 Different call tones - easy recognition
    * Works with either 3 "AA" alkaline batteries, Ni-Cd battery or Ni- Mh batteries.
    * Stylish clamshell packing
    * Optional incar charger available

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Hope this helps.

Great stuff, thanks a lot.

Do you think this would give me a lot extra, even though it is more expensive?

Motorola XTN446

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

CQ Communications are rip off central.

Goto your local lidl/aldi/argos PMR 446.

Distance is limited due to the 500mW output and the size of the aerial as laid down in the specs for 446MHz. A "professional" radio such as a TK series Kenwood or a Yaesu/Standard/Vertex may give you better range. Slightly different connections for a headset though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not much difference between any..
    I have a pair of Lidl ones.
    Maplin also has specials on them as well as expensive ones.
    Aldi or Lidl had a cyclest version the other day with boom mic/ear etc.

watty wrote: »
    Not much difference between any..
    I have a pair of Lidl ones.
    Maplin also has specials on them as well as expensive ones.
    Aldi or Lidl had a cyclest version the other day with boom mic/ear etc.

Cheers.. What kind of mic do I need to look for? I'm told that I should be looking for one that has a double pin input as opposed to a jack type one. Is that correct?

• Advertisement

Depends entirely on the handset.

watty wrote: »
    Depends entirely on the handset.

What I mean is, is a single pin better than a double or vice versa?

It REALLY depends on the handset design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

humaxf1 wrote: »
    CQ Communications are rip off central.

I'd go along with you on that.

Advertisement