Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking book

• 05-04-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

I can't find a thread relating to this, so can someone suggest a good cooking book?

I'm looking for something for a beginner, that is clear and not overly complicated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hi Orizio

This has been done before from various angles:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036866&highlight=book

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054978683&highlight=book

Generally, if you want something generic that's clear and basic, try Delia's How To Cook.

Is there a specific kind of food you like, e.g. Italian, Chinese, Indian and we could offer some recommendations on basic books in those styles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Nigel Slater has a few good books that have a variety of types of meals. His approach is undaunting and very relaxed. Delia is great if a little overly dependant on the weights and measures.

Otherwise there are a great selection if you are looking for a particular regional cookery book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dulux

Go to the newsagents and buy the BBC GoodFood mag. Its brilliant. Simple recipes to hard ones, it does the lot and its seasonal so you can easily get all the ingrediants for the recipes.

I buy it each month and I can really recomend it.

Also the web site is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Rachel allens books are great for beginners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Good housekeeping (not very cool but its very comprehensive and also very reliable in that the recipes work!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

muckety wrote: »
    Good housekeeping (not very cool but its very comprehensive and also very reliable in that the recipes work!).

/+1

Mrs Billy has a copy & it is great for the basics & covers a wide range of dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Swampy wrote: »
    Rachel allens books are great for beginners.

Yeah I agree - the ingredients are easy to find too.

'Real Food, Real Fast' by Domini Kemp is similar - some good recpies in there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Rick Stein's Food Heroes are very good - recipes are varied and easy to reproduce.

Advertisement