Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Writing off my car with insurance

Options
  • 05-04-2008 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

My (old) car got damaged recently and I am thinking of writing it off with my insurance co instead of getting it fixed, as it would prob cost more to get fixed.

My question is that when you write off you car with your insurance company do they take it away or just leave it to you to dispose of, I might have another buyer for it in the shape it is in now.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tonypony wrote: »
    Hi All,

My (old) car got damaged recently and I am thinking of writing it off with my insurance co instead of getting it fixed, as it would prob cost more to get fixed.

My question is that when you write off you car with your insurance company do they take it away or just leave it to you to dispose of, I might have another buyer for it in the shape it is in now.

Thanks

usually its up to the insurance company wether to write it off or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its the insurance companies decision if the car is a write off or fixable, not yours. But if it is older, then it probably will be.

But if its an older car and someone is willing to buy it, why are you going thought insurance claim? You'll lose you NCB and be paying more for insurance for the next few years. What value is the car - excess?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

If its a write off then the insurance company own your car not you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Trampas wrote: »
    If its a write off then the insurance company own your car not you.
    +1

Insurance co. pays you market value for the car, not the value it was insured for.

They then own it.

You can choose not to accept this and sell it privately if you think you'll get more.

Advertisement