Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird situation

• 05-04-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

This post actually straddles the Linux and Windows forum, so apologies...

I was updating a Linux distro yesterday and was having probs with the graphics card. Upshot was, I got it to work, then it stopped working. I tried to "repair" the installation and discovered that it overwrote the MBR in the Windows HD, making Windows "vanish". I managed to get it back today, but I'm having probs with the Windows OS. BTW, it's Windows XP Pro (SP2)

I have a Radeon 9600XT 256MB graphics card and Windows now refuses to let it work. If I right-click on the desktop and select properties, I don't get the usual tabs, I get one screen called Themes. No option to change settings re card, etc. I've tried installing the drivers, but nothing seems to work.

I have a network card which is connected to a Belkin router and from there to a wireless box on roof as my Internet connection. I can't get it to connect at all. It says it's connected, but I don't get an IP address or anything.

The ironic thing is that the connection was working under the Linux distro, so that suggests that it's a Windows setting.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Are there any problems in device manager? Any devices missing drivers or have errors? Anything in the event logs?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how did you get it working in case there is a clue there

make sure you do a cold boot in stead of restarting between OS's till you figure it out. - some linux distro's add a fake bios to cards to get them to work and windows drivers can set cards in modes that linux don't like - eg radeon 9200 on older versions of knopppix left squares after the mouse on warm boot, later versions OK

try a system restore if not sorted by a cold boot ?

Advertisement