Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick reply small change.

Options
  • 05-04-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭

any chance that when you click "quick reply" to this message button that the option of quote this message is selected by default, it seems silly having to tick it considering you're replying to a specific message yet you have to tick the box for your message to make sense if you know what i mean?

:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But you have to click one of the "reply to this message" buttons to activate the quick reply box.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not a bad idea but sometimes I want to quote, sometimes I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes, you click the quick reply button to reply to a message (i done this now for your message) and i'm typing my message in the box right below your post, it's obvious i'm replying to you but imagine a thread that has 100's of posts and i'm replying to lets say the 20th post, i click the reply to this post and i type my message in here, but forget to select "quote message in reply". for me not to look like i'm talking to myself i have to go and select quote on the original message (that i'm replying to), copt the quote, then go back an edit my replying post.

whereas having the "quote message in reply?" option ticked by default like the "show your signature" is would elimate this.

*EDIT* whoops you see, i was quick replying to AlmightyCushion but i forgot to press the "quote message in reply" button.

*EDIT2* Sherifu, i suppose that can be the flip-side to it too as i do that sometimes as well, i quote sometimes and sometimes i don't quote. but it's just that when you hover over the "quick-reply" button beside the quote button it gives the message "quick reply to this post" which indicates to me that the post should be quoted. and if you don't want to quote then you untick the box.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I kinda get what you're saying cremo but when using quick reply I tend to be 50/50 on whether I use it to reply to a post or use it to reply to a thread. There are sometimes when I'm replying to a post and forget to tick the box which annoys me though. Would it be possible to have a quick reply to this thread button beside the post reply button (at the bottom and the top of the thread? This button would ativate the quick reply with the quote button unticked whereas the normal quick reply button would have the quote ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I kinda get what you're saying cremo but when using quick reply I tend to be 50/50 on whether I use it to reply to a post or use it to reply to a thread. There are sometimes when I'm replying to a post and forget to tick the box which annoys me though. Would it be possible to have a quick reply to this thread button beside the post reply button (at the bottom and the top of the thread? This button would ativate the quick reply with the quote button unticked whereas the normal quick reply button would have the quote ticked.
    that would actually be best tbh i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Cremo wrote: »
    that would actually be best tbh i think.
    Agreed, it's a good solution.

My best ideas always happen when I'm drunk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Would it be possible to have a quick reply to this thread button beside the post reply button (at the bottom and the top of the thread? This button would ativate the quick reply with the quote button unticked whereas the normal quick reply button would have the quote ticked.

Good idea - keep up the drinking!

Does the button even have to be disabled at all?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement