Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universe Revealed! [SPOILERS!] LOL!!!!

• 05-04-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/04/istargate_universei_revealed.shtml

I think it sounds ****.
    Ofcourse, early stages, I could be wrong etc.... but that plot stinks of what I believe to be the current Atlantis situation of being made up as they go along.

There doesn't seem to be alot of thought put into this.

In my opinon, the only way a ship based story could work for Stargate was if they used the ship as a base because the ship was stranded in another galaxy, and they landed it or beamed down to Stargates to have their adventures.

I know it's way too close to Voyager but the idea of a ship based Stargate series has been going around since universe was announced and that's just my two cents.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

More stargate can only be a good thing I think, I'm just happy we're getting the 9th chevron. :D Replicating Voyager is a valid concern since it didn't turn out that great but at the same time it can still be gate based like you say with plenty of exploration. The ship has a gate so it'll be like putting stargate command in a caravan. :pac: The most important things will be a good cast and strong stories. The article mentions it won't be cheap so i'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with the money. Bring it on I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hell, Atlantis was just Deep Space 9 in a gray jumpsuit anyway.

/flees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Hell, Atlantis was just Deep Space 9 in a gray jumpsuit anyway.

/flees

Run faster. :D

It took a while to get going and some of the characters are ****. But its got potential next season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its a fine concept but only as a musing. I really dont see why they would want to make a series out of this. The conept sounds like it could be visited as a movie that would put the entire franchise to rest. I mean how many planets in how many galaxies are going to have environments that conveniently match the Vancouver landscape?

Not unless they make the threat collosal in some way. And I mean, cosmic. But Im not so sure they have what it takes to pull that off. Not in the way I imagine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Overheal wrote: »
    Its a fine concept but only as a musing. I really dont see why they would want to make a series out of this. The conept sounds like it could be visited as a movie that would put the entire franchise to rest. I mean how many planets in how many galaxies are going to have environments that conveniently match the Vancouver landscape?

Not unless they make the threat collosal in some way. And I mean, cosmic. But Im not so sure they have what it takes to pull that off. Not in the way I imagine anyway.

Please, do tell!! What cosmic threat do you imagine?

• Advertisement

Something monstrously unfathomable, befitting of a universe full of galaxies full of stargates. When comics start talking on the cosmic scale like that you usually fall into the realm of upper-dimensional beings (ancients?) or in the Case of Transformers and Silver Surfer, giant living entities that ritually consume worlds whole, leaving nothing behind. It should be as big, or even bigger a threat. Seeing large superstructures like Halos and Ringworlds, and Dyson Spheres, would be something I would look forward to as well. Civilisations that have used dyson spheres to harvest the power output of an entire galaxy. When you have the scope of the universe at your disposal, Im sure im only picking at the tip of the iceberg here. Stuff you cant shake a P-90 at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

iUseVi wrote: »
    Run faster. :D

It took a while to get going and some of the characters are ****. But its got potential next season imo.
    I've been hearing that for 4 seasons now. Atlantis has and will always (except a few occassional episodes) be ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Ivan wrote: »
    I've been hearing that for 4 seasons now. Atlantis has and will always (except a few occassional episodes) be ****.

qf-mother****ing-t

It would be fine but it appears to be missing the one key element and that really was RDA. He did something for the series which will never be quite replicated. Beyond that SGA and even seasons 9 and 10 tried their best. One of my favorite SGA episodes is still the one where RDA came on board.
    RDA: He said he'd be back in a couple of hours. That gives him a good.... 11 seconds.

Woolsey: they're overdue.

RDA: Not yet.

Woolsey: its been Well over 11 seconds.

RDA: Yes. But you've been ignoring the dramatic element of

........suspense.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well as I've said before, I thought season one of Atlantis was kicking and it was all down hill from there.
    It completely lacks what I think made Stargate special, the realistic down to Earth approach.
    Machine guns vs. Ray guns, no spaceships, etc... Now they're trying to keep these things in the foreground despite a fleet of ships and box after box of advanced technology.

I think Universe will suffer the same fate of Atlantis but with it's seemingly bigger budget, corners will be cut, probably on elements that could affect ratings. And with it's possibly inflated budget, it will be expected to pull bigger ratings, which could result in a swift cancelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

This is going to fail horribly, I can pretty much say without a doubt that unless they manage to pull of some amazing writing this series is going to stink. It just oozes unoriginality, its basically a new star trek series... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it stinks of epic fail!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah but so do you and you've made it to at least 20 consecutive seasons.

Well as I've said before, I thought season one of Atlantis was kicking and it was all down hill from there.
    It completely lacks what I think made Stargate special, the realistic down to Earth approach.
    Machine guns vs. Ray guns, no spaceships, etc... Now they're trying to keep these things in the foreground despite a fleet of ships and box after box of advanced technology.

I think Universe will suffer the same fate of Atlantis but with it's seemingly bigger budget, corners will be cut, probably on elements that could affect ratings. And with it's possibly inflated budget, it will be expected to pull bigger ratings, which could result in a swift cancelling.

I'm not saying you're wrong because that drew a lot of people in... but how long and on how many different planets in how many different galaxies can you expect to come back alive because you're holding a P-90 and a canteen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I think Universe will suffer the same fate of Atlantis.....

What fate?

Atlantis is currently shooting it's fifth season, during which it will reach it's 100th episode and continues to be a big favourite among sci fi fans.

From Gateworld.....
    SCI FI Channel is among the most DVR'ed networks on television, and Stargate Atlantis is one of the most DVR'ed television shows.

Recently Stargate Atlantis was voted as the favourite sci-fi show at the 34th People's Choice Awards. It beat out shows such as Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who for its winning spot.

I really liked SG-1 and watched it since it started but I also like Atlantis and I hope it continues into a sixth season. I'm also Hopeful that Stargate Universe is going to be good as well, should it get off the ground.

Getting ready to rewatch Rising here and already its easy to see why i started watching it :)

As far as television goes it is currently the only series I am striving to collect. Even SG-1 is getting a miss until then.

100th Episode: cant wait to see how they work that one. Why do I get the sick feeling theres going to be a 300 reference in there somewhere... (or in the actual 300th episode of stargate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ye i watched the Forsaken or no sorry it was "The defiant one" yesterday, one of the better episodes of season 1. They should have kept the wraith like that. They made them weak like the replicators in SG1 or the borg in voyager.

aye. was watching Rising and saw how hard they were to kill back then. rapid regeneration and zombie-ligaments.

plus they quickly got rid of the Illusions thing: The wraith could make you see things that werent there. Like phantoms.

didnt they drop a line somewhere that you become imune to it? like chickenpox

User45701 wrote: »

Or whomever approved the CGI budget became immune to it.

• Advertisement

like chickenpox?

No but really i mean look at BSG i have only ever ONCE seen someone complain that they reuse the viper landing sequences or the baseship launching missiles. Star trek DS9 went to far, the last episode was 66%+ used footage, i mean in one scene garack was on cardassia, a federaration ship (big explision on the bridge all, it was a scene from season 6 and gareck was on it) WTF

Would you really case if they reused the exact same illusion every time they encountered wraith? i dont care if they reuse CGI as long as its tastefully done and its a good show.

User45701 wrote: »
    Possibly, don't remember that though. I'd forgotten about the wraith illusions tbh.

I mean srsly the same ****ing wormhole sequence in every episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm not saying you're wrong because that drew a lot of people in... but how long and on how many different planets in how many different galaxies can you expect to come back alive because you're holding a P-90 and a canteen?

Not alot.
    There's no denying Sg-1 should have ended alot earlier, and I don't think any spin offs should be clones but this is a very delicate area and they are traveersing it in a tank.
    Atlantis started off well but now, as mentioned above, they have sacrificed alot of their story elements to make it a more general show.

Thrill, Atlantis may be into its fifth season now, but that is by no means a measure of the shows quality.

I'm just pissed off that Stargate had to become a franchise, and at that, descend to generic sci fi.
    I think Universe is a step in the wrong direcetion.

Im not going to comment until i see it or see a trailer because you never know, with BSG ending and talk of only making universe after SGa ends TV will be almost devoid (?) of sci-fi and SGU even if its not amazing i still expect it to be watchable, and like every show out there you will get one absoutly amazing flawless episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

............that is by no means a measure of the shows quality.

Well, I wont argue this one with you because it's an argument no-one can win. 10 people can watch a show, any show, and 5 could say it was crap and the other 5 could say it was fantastic. It's a matter of opinion really.

I know a few people at work who think Lost is a quality show but I know just as many who think it's the biggest load of rubbish they've ever seen.

It's just that enough people watch and like Atlantis that it's gone into a fifth season. I'd like to see it go into a sixth and last season, a season in which all the storylines are brought to a conclusion, rather than let it start to go downhill like SG-1 did when Anderson left the show.

I wonder what happened in the days of old when Star Trek finished up and it was replaced by TNG...

... and we're still hearing echos of Kirk vs. Picard.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of RDA's work on SG-1 but theres some other great people in the mix like David Hewlett and Joe Flannigan has his moments. And Christopher Haeydal may be the best recurring Guest Actor the show has yet seen... y'know, besides Bra'tac.

Face it. SG-1, in its pilot episode, set up the stargate Universe as something very vast and wonderful. Not two planets linked by a pair of gates, but an entire network of stargates, on thousands of worlds across the galaxy. And even more unfolded out of that. Then more. Then more again.

When you get something like that so popular and so well established, people want to visit that. They let us do it with Star Trek for decades.

I wonder if SGU is really the final piece, to be honest with you.

Was Stargate infinity cannon?

KirkVPiccard was only a huge thing because when they where filiming Star Trek 6 (the last star trek movie with kirk) was the same time they began casting and filiming of Encounter st farpoint.

to me TNG has aged worse than TOS because i dont know TOS had something i dont know what the word im looking for but all i can think of is shakespearean, i hate shakespear time/speak/plays/books/tv shows but the dialog in TOS especially during some episodes like "Ballance of Terror" is just much better than what you get in early TNG

As for SG1 v SGA for me is SG1 because of the gouald and for O'Niell V Sheaperd i pick O,Niell. I would start a poll but we all know who would win...

I wasn't even going to offer that as a challenge to be honest. Shepphard can't hold a candle to RDA.

Infinity is definitely not Canon.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there speculation for a while that the 9th chevron involved controlling time? Would have been a bitch to write but it's funny that window of opportunity was voted the best sg1 episode on the sci-fi website. It was more of a groundhog day scenario than timetravel though.

Advertisement