Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universe Revealed! [SPOILERS!] LOL!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

that was on today :) classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Overheal wrote: »
    that was on today :) classic.

It was on yesterday as well. Great episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Face it. SG-1, in its pilot episode, set up the stargate Universe as something very vast and wonderful. Not two planets linked by a pair of gates, but an entire network of stargates, on thousands of worlds across the galaxy. And even more unfolded out of that. Then more. Then more again..

I think that there's alot to be said and done in the galaxies we have.

such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i'd love to see more "different races" such as those extinct lizard gentlemen terra forming the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Furlings god damnit

Mordeth wrote: »
    Furlings god damnit
    i didnt think they were the furlings? ha,im happy now,always wanted to see what they looked like,and i did all along.
    apologies

noo....

i was just saying I wanted the furlings to be involved

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about :)

Mordeth wrote: »
    noo....

i was just saying I wanted the furlings to be involved

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about :)
    [disappointment] aww crap,now i want to see them again.[disappointment]

the alien race had a huge ship that made a planet suitable for them to live on, the ship housed dna samples of everything from there original planet and was piloted by an android.

oh yeah, yeah I remember that

good episode

• Advertisement

yup and a cool species,those lizardy guys looked awesome.
    i like when they throw more different races (like unas etc) into the mix.
    loads of human like races gets a bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

aye. was watching Rising and saw how hard they were to kill back then. rapid regeneration and zombie-ligaments.

How well and how fast a wraith heal depends on whether it is well fed or not. In season four most of the wraith are starving and in a civil war over food

which turns them into a big letdown as villains as the series has carried on.

such as?

Like other races and other planets.
    Not just new ones, but revising old ones!*

Carter and McKay constantly waffle on about how big a galaxy is, yet we have to go to another galaxy for new adventures. The premise of 'Stargate Command' was good because it continues the adventures in the Milky Way, out of the same base but with new geezers. That suited me down to the ground.

*It was brought to my attention via the internet that some species, like the Ree'tu (or was it the Reoule?...not sure) are intellectual property of writers that no longer work on the show so the current staff can't use them.
    Demonique wrote:
    How well and how fast a wraith heal depends on whether it is well fed or not. In season four most of the wraith are starving and in a civil war over food
    And isn't it convenient that these matters can change when it suits the budget?...or events of todays episode?

What were the Ree'tu again?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Those creatures that were out of phase. You needed a special weapon to kill them.

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/Category:Reetou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Water Sprite

Ah, the much speculated on, yet ever mysterious Fourth Race. They can be vicious when taken by surprise I've heard. :cool:

Furling.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

*It was brought to my attention via the internet that some species, like the Ree'tu (or was it the Reoule?...not sure) are intellectual property of writers that no longer work on the show so the current staff can't use them.
    That's why they never appeared again? I wonder what other species that covers. I wonder why they gave the writers all the rights on them. Usually when you work for a company the company will have rights on your creations too.

Like I said, I only read that through the internet so I can't comment on how true it is or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Thats interesting but they give a good reason for them not being in it in the show, the gouauld wiped out almost their whole species because they cant be taken as hosts so the few that whrere l;eft where either in hiding or trying to erridacate the human population

• Advertisement

User45701 wrote: »
    Thats interesting but they give a good reason for them not being in it in the show, the gouauld wiped out almost their whole species because they cant be taken as hosts so the few that whrere l;eft where either in hiding or trying to erridacate the human population

And invisible....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stargate is still a fine cash machine but it is slowly being run into the ground in a similar manner to that which was done to Star Trek.

The ‘universe’ that they have developed is becoming a burden rather than a benefit. The writers of the show are now burdened by a long list of bad plot developments that cannot be undone. For example, they’ve completely ruined a great foe in the Goa’uld, in a way that draws comparison to what Star Trek: Voyager did to the Borg. With every episode it gets further away from the grounded, ‘what if?’ premise that Stargate SG1 originally held, and takes a step further towards being yet another generic Star Trek clone space opera.

Atlantis is still ‘watchable’, but that only gets you so far. I believe that we will see diminishing returns with ‘Universe’ and that the Stargate franchise will ultimately run out of steam. It is only a matter of time. The franchise has jumped the shark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Water Sprite

I don't know if they ruined a great foe in the Goa'uld - I think there just wasn't any place left to go with that storyline. The Goa'uld were no longer invincible because of new and better technology given to us by the Asgard and other advanced races. Plus, we ended up forming alliances with some of the Goa'uld - even if they made uneasy bedfellows.

I think TPTB did a pretty good job coming back with the Ori - who were much closer to actually being invincible than the Goa'uld.

I also have to give the Stargate franchise credit for lasting so long. Ten years is a loooonng time to hold interest in sci-fi fandom. I think at this point, with the two new movies coming out - it's more about the relationship dynamics between the team, both original and secondary. That's why I would want to see those movies.

I don't know if they ruined a great foe in the Goa'uld - I think there just wasn't any place left to go with that storyline. The Goa'uld were no longer invincible because of new and better technology given to us by the Asgard and other advanced races. Plus, we ended up forming alliances with some of the Goa'uld - even if they made uneasy bedfellows.
    Like I said, they ruined the Goa'uld.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Like I said, they ruined the Goa'uld.
    How would you have handled them though ultimately? Given the story had to last ten seasons, during which they gained new technologies, etc? Would you have stretched it out, say had Apophis' or Baal's empire grow and grow and use Asgard technologies against Earth? Some sort of major running battle?

I think they handled it fairly well, although there is indeed almost a pathetic comical aspect to the Goa'uld now in Baal - sort of jokingly harmless. I'm not really sure how they can change that though and I think the general arc was reasonably decent, although I would probably not have had them ultimately defeated by the replicators.

As to the longer-term aspect... I still think the franchise has life in it. I'm not convinced by the premise for Universe and might have felt something closer to Stargate Command could have worked but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Personally, the second half of S4 of SGA was very good (IMO) and so I think the writers are still capable of bringing us an enjoyable show.

The Goa'uld were always beaten way too easily and regularly in SG1 which ultimately spoiled them as they weren't a credible threat. They’d introduce a new big, bad Goa’uld who had been alive for thousands of years, and then kill him with a P90 in the next episode.

The plot development of humans suddenly being able to build interstellar starships like Prometheus was also a bad call.

The Goa'uld were always beaten way too easily and regularly in SG1 which ultimately spoiled them as they weren't a credible threat. They’d introduce a new big, bad Goa’uld who had been alive for thousands of years, and then kill him with a P90 in the next episode.
    Which ones did they do that to?

Hyperbole.

Hyperbole.
    Right...

The only one I remember being killed in 1 episode was Imotep[Kytano] and he sucked anyway. Wasn't a powerful dude at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Thats true, They did go on a killing spree around season 4 though, Heraurer, Cronos & Apophis.
    That wa sa great story though "The deaths of cronos & apophis created a power vacum that the remaining gouauld have been trying to exploit in the last several months they have expended a enormous number of ships and recources fighting amougst themselves..."

The gouauld are the best baddies though, much better than the replicators or the Ori. The wraith arnt bad though just not as good.

Advertisement