Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great offer on XPS

• 05-04-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I recently saw a link for the dell.ie/epp site in a thread here a while back and just remembered it when buying a PC today thankfully. The price was €1411 but only €1172 through the epp site, is this a mistake by dell? I thought that it was only a 10% discount obviously not complaining :) anyways just thought I would give a headsup in case anyone was looking for a new PC. The spec is below really does seem to be a sweet deal

Base
    XPS 420 Viiv Intel® Processor Q6600 Quad Core™ 2.40GHz, 1066Mhz FSB, 8MB cache
    Memory
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
    Keyboard
    Logitech™ Cordless Desktop™ MX®3200 (incl Mouse) - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Monitor
    Dell™ 24" Black Wide Flat Panel (E248WFP) - UK/Irish
    Video Card
    256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS graphics card
    Hard Drive
    750GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
    Floppy Drives
    19-in-1 Bluetooth Media Card Reader
    Microsoft Operating System
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Mouse
    Mouse Included in Wireless Keyboard and Mouse option
    Modem
    No Modem
    CD/DVD Drives
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    Sound Cards
    Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ ADVANCED HD software
    Speakers
    Dell™ A525 Speakers with Subwoofer
    Wireless Networking
    Internal Enhacned Wireless 802.11n PCIe Card
    Shipping Documents
    XPS 420 English Documentation with UK/Irish Power Cord
    Gedis Bundle Reference
    D04X409
    Microsoft Application Software
    Microsoft® Works 9 - English
    Standard Warranty
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    Hardware Support
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    AntiVirus & Security Software
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Order Information
    XPS Desktop Order - Ireland
    Dell System Media Kit
    XPS 420 Resource DVD
    Accidental Damage Support
    No Accidental Damage Support
    Total excl. VAT VAT Rate VAT Total incl. VAT
    Sub-total(s): € 969.33 21.00% € 203.56 € 1,172.89
    Total Price: € 969.33 € 203.56 € 1,172.89

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If your buying this for gaming, graphics card is hardly good enough for modern games. Also 32bit Vista will only be able to use 3.25Gb of that 4Gb ram. Other than that its a good spec, especially with the 24' monitor included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭shaffrey

not really going to be used for gaming mostly used for poker, music and films. wasnt to sure about the RAM just knew that when I was buying my laptop that for vista the more RAM the better :) not really the most technical minded....just thought I would share that site with anyone that might have missed it and they are buying a dell cos its an incredible discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

If you don't need a monitor, then the 420-D04X414 with Q6600, 8800GT, 2 Gb mem, 500 GB Hard drive and Logitech™ Cordless Desktop™ MX®3200 for €720 through EPP is good value. Now if I could just get a 10% off coupon and get the price down to about €650 then I'd be ordering one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah i'm after an XPS 420 myself, topping out at €929 at present.

a 10% coupon + epp and i'm sold.. would knock €100 off it;
    1. q6600
    2. 8800GT
    3. 4gig ram
    4. one or two extras like internal wireless and 2 cd/dvd trays

As for monitors, i've two of these bad boys on the way. Sex on a curvy square frame x 2 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Feck yis! Stop tempting meeee! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

smemon wrote: »

As for monitors, i've two of these bad boys on the way. Sex on a curvy square frame x 2 :p

Ah yes, I have one of those, bloddy great...and I paid >€100 more for her :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If your buying this for gaming, graphics card is hardly good enough for modern games. Also 32bit Vista will only be able to use 3.25Gb of that 4Gb ram. Other than that its a good spec, especially with the 24' monitor included.

Nope Service Pack 1 Fixed that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Eh no, not really.
    32bit Vista can now identify a system with 4gb of memory but cannot address it.
    I think MS just added this to stop support calls to themselves and 3rd party vendors from people wondering why all their memory was not being detected by the OS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

SickBoy wrote: »
    Eh no, not really.
    32bit Vista can now identify a system with 4gb of memory but cannot address it.
    I think MS just added this to stop support calls to themselves and 3rd party vendors from people wondering why all their memory was not being detected by the OS...

SickBoy is right here, there is still no way of accessing the memory above 3.2, and this goes down if you have a gpu with more memory than 512m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Probably a stupid question but .... epp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Brimmy wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but .... epp?

employee purchase programme or something like that i imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

The D04X414 that I mentioned yesterday is no longer offering the Q6600 as an option, so its an E8400 or E8500. So the E8400, 8800GT, 2 Gb mem, 500 GB Hard drive and Logitech™ Cordless Desktop™ MX®3200 is coming in at €709 using epp.

There is a new 10% discount code gone up on dmxdimension.com for dell.co.uk so hopefully we will see one soon for dell.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Vista Service Pack 1 will get the OS to display that 4Gig of RAM is installed, however as PogMoThoin mentioned it will only be able to "use" 3.25gig of it, this is a 32bit limitation and cannot be software modified afaik, you need 64bit vista to use all your RAM ;)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yoyo wrote: »
    Vista Service Pack 1 will get the OS to display that 4Gig of RAM is installed, however as PogMoThoin mentioned it will only be able to "use" 3.25gig of it, this is a 32bit limitation and cannot be software modified afaik, you need 64bit vista to use all your RAM ;)

Nick

Yeah it can only use 4 gigs - whatever size your graphics card is - all the bios crap so for a typical xps you're loking at 3.25 of you're 4 gigs being used.

So it makes more sense to just buy 3 gigs as if you put another 1gig in, you're really only getting 256mb :p

This is all with vista 32 bit though... a 64 bit OS with a 64 bit CPU will be able to take full advantage of your 4 gigs.

In reality though 4 gigs of RAM isn't going to break the bank, if you're getting 3 it's probably an extra 20 or 30 quid for 4 so imo, it's worth it as it's not like we'll be stuck with Vista 32 bit forever :)

So looking to the future, 4 gigs won't be wasted, but it will be at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

shaffrey wrote: »
    not really going to be used for gaming mostly used for poker, music and films. wasnt to sure about the RAM just knew that when I was buying my laptop that for vista the more RAM the better :) not really the most technical minded....just thought I would share that site with anyone that might have missed it and they are buying a dell cos its an incredible discount

you have wasted your money.
    you dont need an xps machine for such basic tasks.
    why not get a normal machine and you get a cheaper price, better deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Is anyone concerned about the fact that the XPS 420 only has a 375 watt power supply in it? I was about to buy one but bumped it up to the 8800GT, 4gigs of 800mhz RAM and an Intel 420 E500 processor but am not sure about it now because of the fairly mediocre PSU in there... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Dell PSU's used in the (late) Dimension 9200 and XPS series systems are rated well past their wattage. In fact the xps 420 psu is rated to run a 9800gx2! A friend is/was running an xps 420 with an 8800 ultra, 4gigs of ram, 2 x 1gb hdds, dvd rw, blu-ray writer and an extreme edition quad core chip with no problems. I myself have a dimension 9200, 4 gigs ram, (factory overclocked) 8800gt, 2 x hdds, 2 x optical drives, card reader, x-fi, firewire card an q9700 as well as loads of usb peripherals. The psu in my machine is lower spec than the xps one so you should be grand. You can always upgrade the psu if you're worried though.

Advertisement