Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help re Free Fees and Grant

Options
  • 05-04-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Wonder if anone can help?

OH has been accepted back into college to do Masters. He did a masters years ago paid for it himself and didnt get free fees.

Would he be entitled to free fees and grant this time around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

It depends on other factors, none of which you have mentioned. Your best option is to contact your local council office and enquire.

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

THank what would the other factors be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi again,

Things such as your age, income, current living status (ie - are you a homeowner or do you still live with your parents), etc. are all considered. If you have applied for a grant before, I'm sure that'll be taken into account too.

I'm sure that the college/university that you've been accepted to will have lots of info for you too.

Kevin.

Hey cobweb,

Just about the 'free fees' query, the present situation regarding the government paying for your education only goes up to the end of a Level 8 Degree, i.e. a Bachelors. A Masters is Level 9, so someone going for a masters wouldn't be entitled to free fees, at least as they are commonly known.

What you might be referring to is how if you get a grant for masters you get your fees paid for (up to a point, around €6,110 I believe). However, I think that if you get a qualification, you are unable to get a grant and/or fees paid for you at that level.

But, as was said by Kevster, it's best to check with the college and the local County Council for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

just wanted to say thanks for the advice am checking it out

• Advertisement
Advertisement