Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locking Nuts for Alloys

Options
  • 05-04-2008 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a good decent set of locking nuts for my alloys, wnat them to be good ones as i hear the scum can just buy these locking nuts and use the keys of them to rob peoples wheels.

Can anyone recommned me a good secure set??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It depends on the car - you could start by trying a main dealer and if you find they are too expensive then try your local motor factors or Halfords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Its an Alfa 147

Would the ones in Halfords etc not be common enough and thus scummers might have the keys for them??

Also how much do they generally cost??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd imagine that there are a variety of keys - not just one profile. While it may be possible, I find it hard to believe that your run-of-the-mill thief would have a selection keys in his pocket for removing alloys - it would just take too long to find the right one and attract attention.

If you have common enough alloys and not something horrendously expensive then you should be OK with standard lock nuts.

The best type, imo, are the ones that require an adapter between the wheel brace and the stud/bolt rather than the ones that have a key to remove a shroud from the wheel nut/stud. Practically all OE lock nuts are of the adapter (or special socket) type

No idea as to the cost, sorry.

Its an Alfa 147

Would the ones in Halfords etc not be common enough and thus scummers might have the keys for them??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Its an Alfa 147

Also how much do they generally cost??

I priced locknuts in Halfords before and was disgusted that they were looking for €26 for a set of 4. I bought the same set on ebay for £5 sterling.

Just back from halfords, what a rip off! Shall be buying some McGards form te internet i think

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Try your local Alfa dealer. They are < €40 & are high quality ( McGuard rebranded AFAIK ) replacement keys can be got if required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Try your local Alfa dealer. They are < €40 & are high quality ( McGuard rebranded AFAIK ) replacement keys can be got if required

Cool, must look them up for my own Alfa. Been meaning to get a set for a while now.

Hey lads,

I must join Alfaireland, im already a member of AlfaOwner since i bought my new car (love it to bits!!).

They said over there DO NOT buy the Alfa locking nuts that there generally crap, also after a bit more research have found that the MCGuard aernt that great?

I got a good set in Rickards in Tallaght today so am hoping they'll be grand, am also going to do a small engraving into the alloy on the back so i can identify them if they are knicked, im hoping though with it being an Alfa and not a Civic or something the scum usually drive that they should be OK.

Is the robbing of wheels still common? I know the stealing of radios from cars back in fashion here in Tallaght, had mine stolen out of my Mazda last week and the window smashed in the process (and the radio wasnt worth a ****e!), when i told the guards they said they had around 30 reports of car radios been stolen over a 2week period in tallaght and surrounding areas, a massive massive increase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement