Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats with all the hate for The Coronas here...

Options
  • 05-04-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

these days it seems any band that starts doing well for themselves is instantly hated on forums..I think these guys are solid..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

these days it seems any band that starts doing well for themselves is instantly hated on forums..I think these guys are solid..

Or maybe its just because most posters here just don't really like them?

Why do you think these guys are solid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,778 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bit like the hoosiers..Not good but everyone likes them..:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i think they're pretty good tbh.
    I don't think the production quality of they're first album did them any faavours, but the lead singer can write pretty good songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think they're ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I've never even heard any of their songs. They can't be that popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

I've never even heard any of their songs. They can't be that popular.

Because popularity is defined by your personal experiences?

Turn on fm104 or spin and you'll hear them within 30-40 minutes.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think they're ****e.

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that you've only heard the last two radio singles.
    Einstein wrote: »
    i think they're pretty good tbh.
    I don't think the production quality of they're first album did them any faavours, but the lead singer can write pretty good songs.

I agree with this completely. Joe Chester produced the current album, and while sonically it sounds very good and it's all very polished... i think it's taken away from the character of the whole thing somehow. Fundementally though, Danny writes good melodies and they're a very tight band live. I've heard a few new songs of theirs and they show great signs of improvement and maturity. However, they'll be fighting an uphill battle trying to win over an Irish more "discerning" crowd who tend to judge musicians on their fans rather than their music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Maybe it's because there are too many good new British bands that overshadow them.
    Also they've arrived too late in the decade to really stand out.
    The Irish rock music scene is terrible - compared with Wales or Scotland we're pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

iamnothim wrote: »

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that you've only heard the last two radio singles.

Their new single is one of the catchiest tracks Iv heard from an Irish band in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

these days it seems any band that starts doing well for themselves is instantly hated on forums..

Pisses me off when people come out with this statement, as for 99% of the 'haters' it isn't true, they just don't like the music, and the whole scene they're involved in.

Nobody goes around "hating" other Irish bands that are doing well that are actually decent and likable, i.e. Cathy Davey, Super Extra Bonus Party, Fight Like Apes, Rep of loose etc.....It's just that the Coronas are not decent, and just rely on a bebo generation of fans that will soon get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Because popularity is defined by your personal experiences?

Turn on fm104 or spin and you'll hear them within 30-40 minutes.

It's not defined by my experiences but it's not defined by what a couple of radio stations in Dublin play either. I listened to them on Youtube and they are decent, they don't deserve to be hated anyway. The problem is that there are a huge number of bands that sound like they want to be in a phone ad and have fans who think any attempt to do anything different is pretentious or snobby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

For they are fairly unexceptional, their sound is at best unoriginal and at worst derivitive and completely uninspiring IMHO. Fair play, i wish them every success but i find them a little unimaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think they're ****e.

+1

and they blatantly robbed a song from us aswell. Nah im only joking. I'm sure thousands of irish students have been to San diego

+1

and they blatantly robbed a song from us aswell. Nah im only joking. I'm sure thousands of irish students have been to San diego

Oh yeah? I'd be interested in hearing that one! Got a myspace link?

Wait... if you think they're ****e based on their songs, which you also state are copied from your songs, are you calling yourself ****e??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Haven't heard the band before, but gave a listen to a few songs they had on youtube. In a word, bland. I'm sure that people here who dislike them think so because they, well, just aren't very good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Apparently Mary Black is the lead singers mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

They went to my school and come back and play a gig every year and tbh I cringe when this happens... their music/lyrics are very average at best and the whole way they go on just irritates me. I mean fair play to them for coming back to the school and all every year, they don't have to... but they're just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

they're probably nice guys and I wish them well, but I have to agree with much of the posters about them just being bland and unimaginitive. The thing is, you often CAN judge a band by their fans and while I hope I don't sound patronising (but inevitably will), anyone I've come across who's into them are not discerning music fans, they're pop fans who get their music from daytime major radio stations etc and are somewhat naive about the level of songwriting that the Coronas operate at compared with other acts who are genuinely pushing the envelope. They also say they don't care about critical success, it's just as well...but what musician in their right mind would really really believe that in their hearts??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

On the strength of this thread I gave them a listen.

Completely bland tbh. Admittedly I have not heard a full album, but what I did hear gave me no interest in doing so. They have that same, stacatto, 70's sound every pop rock band seems to at the mo. Then again, its not like my band are setting the charts alight :D

Kudos for their success though, I remember them on CPU.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I think they're alright, but I hate the Hype around them

and all their songs sound the same, hate that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Like The Kooks mixed with The Hoosiers..

.. wouldn't be a fan either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think The Coronas sound exactly like a dozen other bands right now and they only reason they're getting any attention in Ireland is because they're Irish. Fair play to them for the success they're having and all, but I think this will be the extent of it.

Sweet wrote: »
    Apparently Mary Black is the lead singers mother?

True

basquille wrote: »

not to 'hate' the Coronas even further...but The Kooks and Hoosiers are far superior bands. Very poppy too...but a helluva lot more ideas going on there.

Actually supporting the kooks in Dublin castle in a few weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Actually supporting the kooks in Dublin castle in a few weeks!

I commend you for being the only person to stand up for them. But to be fair they really aren't that good. I've heard a few of their songs and a while ago I saw them on t.v. (Tubridy I think). They've got two singers and both of them can't sing. He sings in this kind of manic way (it reminded me of the way moore sings in sonic youth) and she sings in a whispy-light kind of way (a style which is quite popular at the moment- cathy davey etc.).

I'll say this much for 'new-rave/indie'- if you want a good dance song you have to have good drums and/or good bass. Indie bands have neither (you'll get the odd good guitarist or vocalist). And thats why I think it sounds bad.

ZakAttak wrote: »
    I commend you for being the only person to stand up for them.

To be fair - I have my reasons. I'm on the right in this photo...
    408588860a7054004392l.jpg
    In reality, I'm a session musician. Not in the band, so not really offended by any of the comments here, but I'm close enough to stand up for them :)
    ZakAttak wrote: »
    I commend you for being the only person to stand up for them. They've got two singers and both of them can't sing.

To be honest, most of what has been said on this thread is arguable in my opinion - apart from this point. Whatever you think about the music, Danny can definitely sing. Very strong singer infact. Also - you mentioned something about a 'she' singer. Think you may have been watching a different band, no female singer in the band or at any of the tv sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you've got to remember music taste is subjective.

would you start a thread in food&drink asking why people hate, ohh i dunno chocolate cake ?

the sooner people get that into their heads be they haters or not the better.

I agree with this but in some cases this is an overly simplistic argument. There are some cases where subjectivity doesn't apply, like for example if a band can't play their instruments and can't sing, well then you can understand why someone might just call them crap. Also, if a band/musician is blatantly unoriginal and unimaginative, then call a spade a spade. There's no philosophical (if you like) debate there really because it can be very black or white sometimes.

Getting a little off point here but...subjectivity would more apply to a debate on someone like Radiohead. There's no denying they're an unbelievable band in all respects but some folk might just find them boring or depressing. Or Muse (for some reason that pops into my head), some people would be blown away by the musicianship etc, other people turned off by the pomp and bombast, operatic vocals etc...but again, there's little denying to be done that they're some band. You could go on and on and on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

basquille wrote: »

Sh1t mixed with more sh1t!

Nah the Coronas absolutely suck in my professional opinion. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Cremo wrote: »
    you've got to remember music taste is subjective.

would you start a thread in food&drink asking why people hate, ohh i dunno chocolate cake ?.

That's like saying would you start a thread on whether or not people hate music!

I don't know is the chocolate cake any good? What kind of chocolate cake is it, texture, consistency, added flavours etc..

Advertisement