Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats with all the hate for The Coronas here...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The Coronas aren't perfect but they and The Kooks dont deserve to be compared to the Hoosiers. Both bands are honest and The Kooks have some good songs. The Hoosiers clearly saw the Feeling and thought they would have some of that. Their attempts at being eccentric seem forced and put on rather than natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

iamnothim wrote: »
    To be fair - I have my reasons. I'm on the right in this photo...
    408588860a7054004392l.jpg
    In reality, I'm a session musician. Not in the band, so not really offended by any of the comments here, but I'm close enough to stand up for them :)

To be honest, most of what has been said on this thread is arguable in my opinion - apart from this point. Whatever you think about the music, Danny can definitely sing. Very strong singer infact. Also - you mentioned something about a 'she' singer. Think you may have been watching a different band, no female singer in the band or at any of the tv sessions.

Yeah, I did see a different band on Tubridy (they were younger looking too). But I have heard some songs that I know for certain are theirs, I thought the female singer with the other band was a guest vocalist or something. I'm not mad about them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

To be fair - I have my reasons. I'm on the right in this photo...
    408588860a7054004392l.jpg
    In reality, I'm a session musician. Not in the band, so not really offended by any of the comments here, but I'm close enough to stand up for them :)

To be honest, most of what has been said on this thread is arguable in my opinion - apart from this point. Whatever you think about the music, Danny can definitely sing. Very strong singer infact. Also - you mentioned something about a 'she' singer. Think you may have been watching a different band, no female singer in the band or at any of the tv sessions.

Hey there Ian! Saw ya at the FM104 gig, great job bud.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

Thanks, my name's not Ian though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Alright Dara. Keepin it real I see. That looks suspiciously like the village...

• Advertisement

Thanks, my name's not Ian though :)

Jays sorry about that bud! Just saw the IA and assumed! :p

howaya pinky - haven't seen ya in a while. sort that!

it's actually the spiritstore in dundalk (part of a completely sold out tour might I add, all full of the type of people that don't use boards.ie of course)

Aha. Yeah, over in Chicago recording at the mo.

Haven't played Spirit Store yet so wouldn't know. Small fish and all that.

Have to say though, in that photo yer man, the singer, looks like you... and the bass player looks like Ben. Cosmic. And you look it a bit like Gerry Brady... it's all very disturbing...

haha, oh dear!

for those who dont know...

_MG_7559.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

i have seen them play 3 times, not my own fault.

I hate them because their music offends my ears absolutely.

I detest every note i hear.

• Advertisement

haha, oh dear!

for those who dont know...

_MG_7559.jpg

OMGLOLZ!!!!! etc.

Quite the winnest!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Never really listened to them before... But I like Corona beer... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DarkMuse

Someone commented earlier about the bebo generation, this is a rather short sighted comment in my opinion. It's simply a new medium for bands to get their material across and a very successful one at that. By simply dismissing it you come across, to myself at least, in a similar manner to someone who would have dismissed downloading as a method of distribution a few years back.

On the band themselves I have to say I like them, they're nothing mind blowing but a half decent band alright and you can't deny the lead singer has a quality voice. I can see why they are compared to the Kooks but to be honest I think they're superior, I think the Kooks are an okay band, nice easy listening stuff, while the Coronas aren't too far off this I believe they have more substance. As for the Hoosiers, that's just insulting. Now there's a crock a ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I seen them playing in the spirit once and they were decent. But that song "I'm Going Out Tonight" is the worst song ever written. Trying to be rebellious and cool and relate to people but it doesn't work. Too obvious.

"I'm going out tonight!!" - who gives a ****, so is about half the county - may as well write a song "I'm gonna eat my breakfest".

A 5-year old could have wrote them lyrics. And that song got played over and over again so i'll always hate them for that.

But, as I said my friend got me free passes to the spirit one night when i didn't know the coronas were playing and they were actually ok. Until the last song.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm not a big fan of the way they play in UCD every fecking month on rotation with Director. Another criticism I would have is the topics off their songs, admittadly I have only heard the two, but they have a song about a holiday in San Diego and then their second single is about deciding what to do in the Summer. It's like they're writing a bland musical diary of a commerce student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I just hate "The" bands full stop. They're all the fcukin same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I've heard of them but have never actually listened to them. Something tells me I won't like them. Do they sound like The Blizzards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I seen them playing in the spirit once and they were decent. But that song "I'm Going Out Tonight" is the worst song ever written. Trying to be rebellious and cool and relate to people but it doesn't work. Too obvious.

"I'm going out tonight!!" - who gives a ****, so is about half the county - may as well write a song "I'm gonna eat my breakfest".

A 5-year old could have wrote them lyrics. And that song got played over and over again so i'll always hate them for that.

But, as I said my friend got me free passes to the spirit one night when i didn't know the coronas were playing and they were actually ok. Until the last song.:(

i absolutely hate people that take a line from a song and then base an argument on them not being able to write.

you can find crappy lyrics from everyone who has ever written music event he best. get off your high horse.

not saying i like them though they are the same as a lot of bands out there but the reason they have made it is because of the J1 crowd they got while in San Diego and every person that has done a J1 in SD likes that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

Their music is so bland…. I’ve only heard the singles but I cannot imagine the album tracks could be that different from the singles to change my opinion. I don’t begrudge their success, it’s not what I’d define success as, If I ever heard myself on Spin fm I’d know I’m doing something wrong.

As for the people who will claim by disliking them I am a snob or some kind of musical elitist, I am neither; I am simply somebody who likes to be challenged, who doesn’t like bands playing into my hands, I like lyrics that I have to decipher, not angsty chants of defiance about “going out tonight!”, my life doesn’t revolve around drinking on Saturday night, I’d put a bullet in my head if it did and as musicians they lack any degree of creativity.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i absolutely hate people that take a line from a song and then base an argument on them not being able to write.

you can find crappy lyrics from everyone who has ever written music event he best. get off your high horse.

==> But all of their songs are like this, not just the odd one.

not saying i like them though they are the same as a lot of bands out there but the reason they have made it is because of the J1 crowd they got while in San Diego and every person that has done a J1 in SD likes that song.

==> Could they be more middle-class?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

sportswear wrote: »
    I hate them because their music offends my ears absolutely.

I detest every note i hear.

I always wonder about the maturity of people that dislike pop bands to this level.

If their instruments weren't in tune and they were making atonal noise I could understand that statement but how can pop music be offensive to you. It's by definition written to be easy listening and unchallenging. It can very often be boring but saying you 'detest' every note you hear is stupid. Do you have a similar reaction to every band you hear or perchance are you reacting to the fact that they're doing well at the moment?
    I don't mean to pick on you. Your post just summed up an attitude that confuses me.
    Does it bother everyone that much that people you consider to be your musical inferiors actually enjoy the Coronas?

For the record they're not my thing, but I don't feel the need to hit myself over the head with a shoe when they come on. Their songs are reasonably well put together, Danny has a good voice and they're all competent musicians. How can that possibly be so sonically offensive.

I really do believe people overreact to popular bands and feel compiled to fly their anti-the-band-flag as high as possible. This thread reminded me of something I saw at ****** the year Foo Fighters were headlining. Dave Ghrol was thanking various bands that played over the weekend. Most people were clapping along or cheering when a band they really liked were mentioned. However when he thanked the Killers the guy in front of me started foaming at the mouth (probably) and shouting "they're sh*t, they're f*cking sh*t" over and over.

Now I don't like the Killers either but I find it impossible to believe that someone listening and enjoying the Foo Fighters could actually find the Killers so awful that that sort of reaction is induced. It is possible to just not like or not be into things, you don't have to have an aneurysm at the mere mention of the bands name.

the fnj wrote: »
    I always wonder about the maturity of people that dislike pop bands to this level.

If their instruments weren't in tune and they were making atonal noise I could understand that statement but how can pop music be offensive to you. It's by definition written to be easy listening and unchallenging. It can very often be boring but saying you 'detest' every note you hear is stupid. Do you have a similar reaction to every band you hear or perchance are you reacting to the fact that they're doing well at the moment?
    I don't mean to pick on you. Your post just summed up an attitude that confuses me.
    Does it bother everyone that much that people you consider to be your musical inferiors actually enjoy the Coronas?

For the record they're not my thing, but I don't feel the need to hit myself over the head with a shoe when they come on. Their songs are reasonably well put together, Danny has a good voice and they're all competent musicians. How can that possibly be so sonically offensive.

I really do believe people overreact to popular bands and feel compiled to fly their anti-the-band-flag as high as possible. This thread reminded me of something I saw at ****** the year Foo Fighters were headlining. Dave Ghrol was thanking various bands that played over the weekend. Most people were clapping along or cheering when a band they really liked were mentioned. However when he thanked the Killers the guy in front of me started foaming at the mouth (probably) and shouting "they're sh*t, they're f*cking sh*t" over and over.

Now I don't like the Killers either but I find it impossible to believe that someone listening and enjoying the Foo Fighters could actually find the Killers so awful that that sort of reaction is induced. It is possible to just not like or not be into things, you don't have to have an aneurysm at the mere mention of the bands name.

==>But wouldn't it be boring if everyone posted stuff that said 'yeah they're brilliant etc.?'
    If you like something alot you're going to be passionate about it, hence the extreme anger exhibited by some people towards the Coronas. Some bands play creative and original material, and others play straightforward pop songs (nothing wrong with that)- but its unfair to lump them in together.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I just hate "The" bands full stop. They're all the fcukin same.

God yeah, The Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Kinks were all ****e weren't they?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

If their instruments weren't in tune and they were making atonal noise I could understand that statement
    I always wonder about the maturity of people who dislike experimental, atonal music to this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

I saw them support kooks 2 weeks ago...They were quite good...Their two "hit' songs were probally the weakest on the set list tho....The lead singer had a aload of energy...but their bass player....no...just...no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If their instruments weren't in tune and they were making atonal noise I could understand that statement

That explains why Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine never reached the high standards of The Coronas.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Omg Sonic Youth and My bloody valentine are WAAAYY more respected than the coronas u idiot!!

geez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

A couple of people have jumped on the opening line of my previous post,

I wasn't making a point against experimental music or any type of music for that matter.

The point I'm making (or trying to) is that people aren't being objective in their assessment of these bands. I could be wrong but I honestly believe too many people form opinions as a reaction to the bands status and don't asses them on their musical merits. I don't think this is fair, it's not fair on the band and if you're a fan of music you're not being fair on yourself. It's not the Corona's fault people like them, it's not their fault they get played on the radio and it's not their fault that some people have been dragged to their shows three times.

I cited 'atonal out of tune noise' in my last post to try highlight that some music can make people feel physically uncomfortable (listen to Scott Walker if you don't believe that music can have this effect). I could understand someone saying they really disliked this type of music much in the same way I understand how people can really dislikes rap, metal, punk etc etc. People have various tastes in music and that's cool as far as I'm concerned music is music and it all has its merits (that is the most generic statement ever written btw).

Hating pop is different... in my opinion anyway.
    I don't want to get dragged into a theory war on this but most pop bands write progressions that will sound resolved to listeners ears. In Western music certain progressions do sound better than others. This quite often leads to boring music but unless you were brought up with you parents singing to you out of tune for your entire childhood, it's actually very hard to find this audibly offensive. If someone turned around to me and said they hated every pop rock/ rock pop band they heard that's fair enough but I'm often amazed how people can pick and choose to such extreme degrees between bands that aren't hugely dissimilar.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular it's just an observation I've made many times.

• Advertisement

Hating pop is different... in my opinion anyway.
    I don't want to get dragged into a theory war on this but most pop bands write progressions that will sound resolved to listeners ears. In Western music certain progressions do sound better than others. This quite often leads to boring music but unless you were brought up with you parents singing to you out of tune for your entire childhood, it's actually very hard to find this audibly offensive. If someone turned around to me and said they hated every pop rock/ rock pop band they heard that's fair enough but I'm often amazed how people can pick and choose to such extreme degrees between bands that aren't hugely dissimilar.
    So? We all know pop music is generally inoffensive and bland. But who says you can't hate something because it bores the absolute shíte out of you and makes you feel sad that with all the wonderful, challenging music out there, that these are what record companies promote and hence what the majority of people listen to?

Advertisement