Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats with all the hate for The Coronas here...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

DarkJager wrote: »
    I just hate "The" bands full stop. They're all the fcukin same.

Wow, talk about judging a book by it's cover. Do you seriously disregard a band because their name starts with a The. That's pretty retarded.
    the fnj wrote: »
    I always wonder about the maturity of people that dislike pop bands to this level.

If their instruments weren't in tune and they were making atonal noise I could understand that statement but how can pop music be offensive to you. It's by definition written to be easy listening and unchallenging. It can very often be boring but saying you 'detest' every note you hear is stupid. Do you have a similar reaction to every band you hear or perchance are you reacting to the fact that they're doing well at the moment?
    I don't mean to pick on you. Your post just summed up an attitude that confuses me.
    Does it bother everyone that much that people you consider to be your musical inferiors actually enjoy the Coronas?

For the record they're not my thing, but I don't feel the need to hit myself over the head with a shoe when they come on. Their songs are reasonably well put together, Danny has a good voice and they're all competent musicians. How can that possibly be so sonically offensive.

I really do believe people overreact to popular bands and feel compiled to fly their anti-the-band-flag as high as possible. This thread reminded me of something I saw at ****** the year Foo Fighters were headlining. Dave Ghrol was thanking various bands that played over the weekend. Most people were clapping along or cheering when a band they really liked were mentioned. However when he thanked the Killers the guy in front of me started foaming at the mouth (probably) and shouting "they're sh*t, they're f*cking sh*t" over and over.

Now I don't like the Killers either but I find it impossible to believe that someone listening and enjoying the Foo Fighters could actually find the Killers so awful that that sort of reaction is induced. It is possible to just not like or not be into things, you don't have to have an aneurysm at the mere mention of the bands name.

Well written man, I've expressed similar sentiments to this before, but you've said it much better. Why bother "hating" anyone. Why waste your time. Just dont listen to them. Hating is such a strong reaction. Also, if you're going to go to the effort of publically stating that you dont like something, at least come up with a basis or argument that makes sense.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    So? We all know pop music is generally inoffensive and bland. But who says you can't hate something because it bores the absolute shíte out of you and makes you feel sad that with all the wonderful, challenging music out there, that these are what record companies promote and hence what the majority of people listen to?

Taking the thread title into account here, I think it's only fair to state the Coronas are not on a major record label. The reason "wonderful, challenging" music isn't listened to more is because generally, people dont want to be challenged by music, they just want to enjoy it. I dont see any problem with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Taking the thread title into account here, I think it's only fair to state the Coronas are not on a major record label. The reason "wonderful, challenging" music isn't listened to more is because generally, people dont want to be challenged by music, they just want to enjoy it. I dont see any problem with that![/quote]

==>Of course theres nothing wrong with it- but what if,gradually, all music started to become like that?And nobody tried to do any different, because thats whats happening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

iamnothim wrote: »
    Taking the thread title into account here, I think it's only fair to state the Coronas are not on a major record label. The reason "wonderful, challenging" music isn't listened to more is because generally, people dont want to be challenged by music, they just want to enjoy it. I dont see any problem with that!
    Eh, no. People listen to bland music because it's intensively marketed towards them by record labels. Bands like the Coronas are formed with the intention, subconsciously or otherwise, of trying to "make it big" with a couple of catchy, generic, MOR tunes rather than any real intention to express creativity through music.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Eh, no. People listen to bland music because it's intensively marketed towards them by record labels. Bands like the Coronas are formed with the intention, subconsciously or otherwise, of trying to "make it big" with a couple of catchy, generic, MOR tunes rather than any real intention to express creativity through music.

Complete bull**** mate. People listen to music for more than one reason. Not everybody understands, nor cares if a band is groundbreaking or changing the face of music. As far as my experience can tell, the majority of (smart) people listen to music they can either move to or relate to. Not so smart people listen to music that their peers tell them to.

From having a flick through your blog there, I'd say you've probably got some class of a superiority complex going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Lol, in case you haven't noticed, my blog isn't entirely serious . It's a brain dump of whatever's on my mind in the early hours of the morning.

And are you trying to tell me that record companies' business plans have no influence on the popular music scene?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I could have sworn that I posted in this thread already....

Anyway, I've seen the twice live at this stage. My first experience of them was in the Spirit Store about 2 months ago now. I went having only heard two of their songs and I left being a very impressed individual. Heroes and Ghosts was very very impressive live.

I went out and got their album after that and I was well impressed. Admitedly, I do like this type of music. I'm a fan of the Kooks and the general, indy-esque scene at the moment so I suppose I'm sort of bias in that they fit in that category and they are Irish.

Their live performance is really impressive. Flawless really. Danny can surely sing.

I'll go see them again at a certain music festival again without a shadow of a doubt.

im...LOST wrote: »
    My first experience of them was in the Spirit Store about 2 months ago now. I went having only heard two of their songs and I left being a very impressed individual. Heroes and Ghosts was very very impressive live.

I love it! The Spirit Store, was in my opinion, the very best gig of that tour. One of the best ever with them infact, cant wait for the next show there. Also, Heroes and Ghosts is one of the three songs I play on for the live set :)

Ah, were you at a certain Gig in Monaghan last Monday (I think) aswell then?

You're are the keyboard (ist), then?

i was yeah. Monaghan is a mad place, some of the lads there really couldn't handle their drink

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I just think they're shite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

never heard of them

iamnothim wrote: »
    i was yeah. Monaghan is a mad place, some of the lads there really couldn't handle their drink

Ha! It wouldn't surprise me if a) they had been drinking all day or b) they were on other narcotics or c) both.

T'was a good night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i like em,not amazing or anything but a few good songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

god i just hate their musical style, its the kinda bland stuff that drives me up the wall, boring and meaningless, doesnt move me at all, the total opposite of what Im into. Its good to see Irish bands doing well and best of luck to them they perform perfectly for their target audience but just not my cup of tea at all.

Saw them again at a Music Festival. They were good but not as good as they were at the Spirit Store. I think they are more suited to intimate gigs. I can't really pinpoint the fault in their performance but they just weren't as good for some reason.

Still enjoyed it though! :)

Advertisement