Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving certificate useful for life???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

LMAO!! Oh you walked right into that one, Key :)

I meant to :) i said it in my pre and got full marks

And I refuse to believe that Irish is a dead language
    It's dead to you but not to me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I meant to :) i said it in my pre and got full marks

And I refuse to believe that Irish is a dead language
    It's dead to you but not to me :P

Ah I never said Irish was dead...it's not dead yet. But the current curriculum is slowly killing it.
    Irish is dying a slow, painful death...I'd hate to seet the language gone forever but it's kinda inevitible :(

Apparently, there will eventually be only 4 languages spoken in the world: English, Spanish, Russian and Mandarin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Ah I never said Irish was dead...it's not dead yet. But the current curriculum is slowly killing it.
    Irish is dying a slow, painful death...I'd hate to seet the language gone forever but it's kinda inevitible :(

Apparently, there will eventually be only 4 languages spoken in the world: English, Spanish, Russian and Mandarin.

Ah now that wasn't aimed at you

But i think i'd agree with you on that, but don't forget french! I don't think they'll give up on that too easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 SugarRush

If one can argue that

1huge1 wrote: »
    Its unfair because some people's brains are more geared towards maths and suffer from having to do Irish.

then what about those of us who are more geared for languages, get really good grades and have to suffer Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Leaving Cert English is of no use...you read things, you write things. It's not like you learn much practical information.

I'm doing Science at college, so Maths, Physics and Biology were of great use to me. However, for someone who goes on to do English or History or something they wouldn't be particularly useful.

It all depends on where your interests lie, really :)

Are reading and writing not useful skills? I would imagine at the very least even if you were not interested in the Prose, Poetry and Drama aspects of the course that it would have improved your vocabulary and that you learned how to express yourself orally and on paper in properly constructed sentences that don't resort to textspeak.

I did science at college and exams were still written in English, essays and reports etc are in English and your thesis will be a long report where hopefully some of the skills you learned previously will come in useful, like constructing a grammatically correct sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

I think all the Leaving Cert subjects are important... They're the only thing in the country that can get you into college and let you get the job you want... Sounds pretty important to me

Advertisement