Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did the British ever apologise?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Was just randomly think there was there any formal apology for their actions over 800 years of raping the country?

If they did, well then, I guess its good, but if they didn't its a joke.

By British I mean the Monarchy, I know during the Lockout the English dock workers sent money to the Irish workers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I don't think there has been anything formal from the Monarchy. It wouldn't make any difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

800 years is 800 years, an apology would merely be a kick in the "balls" off out those people who lost their lives during the struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I remember very vaguely when Blair came into power an apology of sorts or at least an expression of empathy toward the suffering endured by the Irish, especially with regard to the famine. It was years ago and I was living in spain at the time working in a bar where sky news was on, so what I caught may have been a little fragmented. It was enough to make a lasting impression though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

zxy wrote: »
    I remember very vaguely when Blair came into power an apology of sorts or at least an expression of empathy toward the suffering endured by the Irish, especially with regard to the famine. It was years ago and I was living in spain at the time working in a bar where sky news was on, so what I caught may have been a little fragmented. It was enough to make a lasting impression though.

thats true and he invited gerry conlan of guilford 4 to downing street and was the first pm in donkeys years who publically met members of sinn fein. (i reckon his wife influened him particualily meeting gerry conlan) aye blair was on fire international wise in 1997, pitty about the two wars in afghanistan and iraq though, because then history would have given him a great legacy.

so yes, as pm, blair would have spoken on behalf of the monarchy. but you may need to have a look at the proper history books becuase that 800 years tag is a bit inaccurate. eg irish fighting for an english king ie king james 11 (battle of the boyne) the list goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm still waiting for a written apology from Queen Margrethe II of Denmark myself.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

If everyone in the world started apologising to each other for past injustice, we'd never be finished. Move forward I say, and don't dwell on the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

To be honest I think an apology is deserved or at the very least a recognition of the amount of suffering they caused in this country. The sad thing is that the majority of English people are not aware of what went on in Ireland .. they are not aware of the role they played in creating the trouble in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah, I received their apology for all the wrongs they carried out against Ireland. It was quite nicely put, and I consider the matter closed now.

Wait, didnt you get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

If they apologised for their colonial past in Ireland then wouldn't they have to apologise to every group of people that was ever wronged through history? To many African countries, Australia (although there was an apology of sorts with the PMs apology to the aborigines "stolen" children), Canadians, Native Americans etc etc. Then the French, Germans, Dutch, Belgians etc etc would all have to apologise for their colonial pasts.
    Too much IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

The Arabs would have to apologise for centuries of black slavery - do you see that happening?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't see any point in apologies of this nature. What's important is how the British treat Ireland now.

If they treat Ireland as an equal, indepedent, sovereign state, that's good enough for me. Let's move on.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Firstly, is this thread for real? or just a wind up?

Obviously the 800 year thing is complete & utter rubbish, which is usually trotted-out by half cut Republicans when talking to American tourists who dont know any better!

Should the Romans apologise for invading half of mainland Europe & Britain? Should the 'White Man' be held accountable & be made to apologise for invading the 'Americas', Should the people of Denmark be made to apologise for invading the islands of Britain & Ireland? should the Germans for evermore be told to apologise for the two World Wars? should the French apologise for invading/ occupying the island of Corsica to this very day? should the Spanish be allowed to occupy the Canary islands? should the Italians apologise for occupying Sicily? ...................

The list is endless, the question is irrelavent & meaningless.

And as regards 'Treatment' Ireland did pretty well out of the Union with Britain when all considered, from Architecture to transport, to Great Centres of Learning, to Great Cathedrals, to the genelral standard of living (slums excluded) right up until 1922 when Dublin was still the 'Second City of the UK' & by all accounts was very proud too .............................

Then we got our independence & it all went pear shaped for 70 years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

There is absolutely no need for an apology from the British. Considering the proximity of the two nations and the clear superiority of one they had obvious terretorial claims and they even invited us into the nation, the only colony which recieved such an honour.

Personally I think an apology for 1916, an act of high treason by citizens of the U.K against their country while they were fighting a war, is more deserving of an apology to the British. They had already granted Home Rule

I am 100% with you on that Bubs101, apart from the 'Colony' thing (which I happen to disagree with) but Yes, an Apology for stabbing the rest of the UK in the back right in the middle of the Great War would be very welcome indeed.

The conundrum is however, that when the Easter Rising took place it was a very small affair, supported by a very small amout of people committed, (while the majority of Irish Men were far away out fighting the Germans) so I dont know if 'Ireland' or 'The Irish' can be held accountable, or be asked to apologise for the Easter perpetrators, because 'at that time' the rising was not popular & not supported by the vast majority of Irish people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Bubs101 wrote: »
    they had obvious terretorial claims and they even invited us into the nation, the only colony which recieved such an honour.
    What do you mean by territorial claims? Not so obvious to me. As for "invited", the 1800 Act of Union was passed by a Protestant parliament and supported by Catholics who were (falsely) promised later emancipation. And Ireland was never a colony; it had MP's at Westminster and formed part of the UK.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Personally I think an apology for 1916, an act of high treason by citizens of the U.K against their country while they were fighting a war, is more deserving of an apology to the British. They had already granted Home Rule
    How could the Irish State apologise for an act committed before an Irish state existed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We'd have to apologise to Scotland and take back the Irish settlers who colonised western Scotland.

That's assuming they're not the ancestors of the guys who colonised the north east of this island, which in all likelihood they probably are.

I'll go back under my bridge now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

ArthurF wrote: »

Then we got our independence & it all went pear shaped for 70 years :eek:

That has to be a ****ing joke?

I find it quite sad that a poster would say that a thread which questions a country which was directly and indirectly responsible for the mass genocide of the Irish people was an attempt to troll.

Asking this question on an Irish forum is not trolling.

That has to be a ****ing joke?

I find it quite sad that a poster would say that a thread which questions a country which was directly and indirectly responsible for the mass genocide of the Irish people was an attempt to troll.

Asking this question on an Irish forum is not trolling.

Troll/ Trolls Trolling? please explain.

P.S. As regards 'Genocide' what is that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

What do you mean by territorial claims? Not so obvious to me. As for "invited", the 1800 Act of Union was passed by a Protestant parliament and supported by Catholics who were (falsely) promised later emancipation. And Ireland was never a colony; it had MP's at Westminster and formed part of the UK.

The plantations were the part of the colonisation of Ireland but I'm not sure exactly when it started but I'm in no doubt that it was a colony before the act of union
    How could the Irish State apologise for an act committed before an Irish state existed?

A fair point but everybody and his mother knpws that the event is intrinsically linked with the rebellion and considering that alot of the first TD's were directly involved I think the Dail could easily make an apology on their behalf. They should stop celebrating it at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

No chance of a British apology.

I have been waiting for the descendants of the monarchy from the village across the way that wrought havoc in the village I live back in the Iron age to apologize for years now without any luck.

The ba*t***ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Playboy wrote: »
    .. they are not aware of the role they played in creating the trouble in the North.
    I'm sorry, "they"? Which members of the present-day English population played a role in "creating" the trouble in the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

There was an apology. It wasn't meaningless, it helped foster an environment beneficial to the peace process and was necessary at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

esteban, you're a very short step away from a banning from politics.

Another thread like this and you are gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement