Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western names in Japan

Options
  • 06-04-2008 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

My name is Michael. Say I was to go over to Japan and introduce myself to Japanese people. Would I use the name 'Michael' or a Japanafied version of it, like 'Michaeru'? For some reason, I think using 'Michaeru' is slightly racist, bordering on the whole 'flied lice' thing, but that's probably just my inbuilt white guy guilt. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

corblimey wrote: »
    My name is Michael. Say I was to go over to Japan and introduce myself to Japanese people. Would I use the name 'Michael' or a Japanafied version of it, like 'Michaeru'? For some reason, I think using 'Michaeru' is slightly racist, bordering on the whole 'flied lice' thing, but that's probably just my inbuilt white guy guilt. Any tips?

There's no reason why you would not just use the normal pronunciation. It would be strange to try to pronounce it as a Japanese person might. They will inevitably do that for you and may add a -san. Mikeuru-san is my best stab at what you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd tend to introduce myself as Burendan as opposed to Brendan, but that's just me. Also, be sure not to use -san when referring to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

giddyup wrote: »
    There's no reason why you would not just use the normal pronunciation. It would be strange to try to pronounce it as a Japanese person might. They will inevitably do that for you and may add a -san. Mikeuru-san is my best stab at what you'll get.
    That's what I thought, but introducing myself:
    Watashi wa Michael desu
    just sounds weird. Also, I wouldn't be able to spell it without 'translating' it to Japanese

Advertisement