Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God is dead. Nietzsche finally proved right.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Earthhorse wrote: »

But look, this thread is about Charlton Heston and Dudess's newly revealed ability to pop people's brains from a distance (which I am all for legalising by the way, once she's over the age of eighteen).
    + 1
    All this pro-gun bollocks and quoting of Supreme Court cases is way off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

I'm going to go ahead and call bull on this. You're saying *a nation*, not an individual, but a nation, of what, 300 million people (?) is irresponsible? How many have you met? Tell you what, if you've met two thirds, we'll call that a respectable number and allow you to generalise based on that. So, met 200 million Americans?

And scare words like "semi-automatic" are, frankly, just silly scare words ill-informed police forces and politicians throw at civilians who know no better to hype something up, for no reason I can possibly understand. We have a huge number of legally held firearms in this country too, and plenty of them are semi-automatic. People are scared of things they don't know. There's nothing to be scared of.

Well it was an analogy and without going too much off topic, as a nation America is as far as I am concerned a teenager. I don't need to meet all 300 million American's to see how they act as a nation.

Again we come back to the issue of availability and how pro gun people fail to see a correlation between having a gun and shooting "X" number of your fellow high school students/college mates/co workers and NOT having a gun and NOT shooting "X" fellow high school students/college mates/co workers.

You can dress it up all you want but the fact remains the free availability of guns in the US costs lives everyday.

Look at Switzerland civilians highest gun ownership in the world (I think) liberal gun laws and yet none of the massacres that the US sees.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yet you would still deprive me and almost 304million people of our ability to happily go about our business because of the actions of some 9,000 criminals?

Can you not see how disproportionate it is? Apparently four out of ten road fatalities in Ireland are alcohol related. Why not ban alcohol for the other 3 million people?
    But look, this thread is about Charlton Heston

It is precisely this sort of 'we know better than you' with regards to firearms attitude that Heston fought while heading the NRA. Yet people will detract from him for it.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Dudess's newly revealed ability to pop people's brains from a distance
    And there's not much a clampdown on gun control can do to stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Yet you would still deprive me and almost 304million people of our ability to happily go about our business because of the actions of some 9,000 criminals?

Can you not see how disproportionate it is? Apparently four out of ten road fatalities in Ireland are alcohol related. Why not ban alcohol for the other 3 million people?

It is precisely this sort of 'we know better than you' with regards to firearms attitude that Heston fought while heading the NRA. Yet people will detract from him for it.

NTM

Bad choice of counter argument as we in Ireland acknowledge there is a problem with drink driving and have already reduced the limit for permitted alcohol in the system.

Moreover there is nobody out there advocating the Alcohol be made more freely available because to do so will reduce the level of drink driving, which is exactly the argument the NRA makes ("more guns = more safety" is pretty much their outlook)

As I see it until such time as the US can come to terms with the fact that it is a inherently violent society and seek to remedy that then it's current gun laws are wrong and are as much at fault for deaths as the "9000 criminals"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I've got a weird sense of deja vu reading this thread, i feel like i've ben-hur before....

RIP

baha

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sherifu wrote: »
    A great actor. <3 Ben Hur.

Or Ben Whore as a radio dj pronounced it yesterday much to my amusement... Yeah doesn't take much..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what % of black males have been in prison / same for hispanic ones - here is a clue , it's not 9,000

The Framers of the Constitution believe the restriction would do more harm than good. As does the majority of people today. (Just look at the relative submissions in the recent Supreme Court case: 31 States said 'inidividuals can have firearms', 5 said 'no'. Over 300 Congresscritters said 'yes', about 30 said 'no'.)
    these are the same Framers who did not give universal franchise.
    the same guy's who reckoned that the guy who finished second should become vice-president (not 100% on that one )
    they said that the militia should have the right to bare arms,
    The Militia not a militia, not any militia, not individual citizens just the official militia that was disbanded a very long time ago.

As for banning Alcohol, above a certain level it's already banned for motorists and cyclists. Very few people get run over by drunk pedestrians , but you can still get done for being drunk in a public place. What's it like being drunk ? Ask a glass of water !

Why did Charlton Heston, living in a gated mansion with guards, need to keep guns?
    Maybe he was an inverstor.
    Fr Ted wrote:
    Funny how you get more right-wing as you get older!

What Not To Do With Charlton Heston

* Don't let his people go.
    * Get your damn dirty hands on him (applies to only if you're an ape)
    * Turn his friends into Soylent Green
    * Turn his "fine piece of black ass" girlfriend into a zombie
    * Get into his home and try to kill him (applies only if you're a zombie or Michael Moore)
    * Piss him off.
    * Forget to buy him Hannah Montana tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lol :d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

You people make it sound like the NRA is some sort of evil organisation on the same level as the KKK or NAMBLA.

The KKK or NAMBLA with guns.....

Advertisement