Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Annoying squeak/squeal from clutch pedal ?!?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I had this problem before but it went away so I thought nothing of it again! However it seems to have come back.

It doesn't happen all the time but now and then I get an annoying squeak/squeal from the clutch pedal.

I am no expert on cars and wouldn't know how to take a wheel off etc so I will probably have to take it to a garage (:mad:).

From a bit of research I believe I need to "take the wheel off and get someone to push the clutch pedal and I will see a rod push an arm on the side of the transmission tunnel.. That needs a blob of grease on it"

I also found this from another forum and I am considering purchasing this Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Has anybody got any thoughts or advice on this, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Ye, if you'd struggle to take a wheel off then leave the job to a garage and don't buy parts unless your sure that part needs to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

colly10 wrote: »
    Ye, if you'd struggle to take a wheel off then leave the job to a garage and don't buy parts unless your sure that part needs to be replaced

Well I am sure its easy enough but I have just never done it before! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Didn't have this on an MX5 (never owned one!) but did have it on the CRV

edit I know they are not related cars / makes, but I am just trying to give you more info on my experiences

Basically, the master clutch cylinder (one nearest the clutch pedal) had a problem with it when pressed, in that the O ring rubber within would expand upon heating (i.e. after a lot of use in traffic) as such it would resonate against the wall of the cylinder, causing a really feckin' annoying squeak that I could hear and feel when I used the clutch. This apparently was a known fault with Honda CRV 02-04 and a Technical Service Bulletin was issued to replace the master clutch cylinder. Once this done the problem went away(-ish. The dealer first used the wrong lubricant on the cylinder and the squeak re-appeared. But once the correct lubricant was used the problem was fixed).

During the diagnoses of this squeaking, the slave cylinder, the clutch mechanism were all checked for the problems. How the mechanic checked this was by getting the clutch pedal pressed while he held the part. He felt the strongest resonance from the master clutch cylinder and (as the noise would defer to the rest of the system) and concluded this was probably the problem.

How this helps.

jayok wrote: »

How this helps.

I presume you mean "hope this helps" :confused::rolleyes::pac:

Thanks for the info. I will have to get a torch and get me head down under the pedals to take a peak. Must the tyre be removed before I can see anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If the squeak is really from the clutch pedal (and not from somewhere else in or under the car when you press the clutch) I'd start with spraying a bit of WD40 on the hinges and spring (if there is one) where your pedal is mounted to the floor.

That might be all that's needed.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    If the squeak is really from the clutch pedal (and not from somewhere else in or under the car when you press the clutch) I'd start with spraying a bit of WD40 on the hinges and spring (if there is one) where your pedal is mounted to the floor.

That might be all that's needed.

Now that sounds alot easier and something even I should be capable of! Just need to get some of that WD40!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

py2006 wrote: »
    I presume you mean "hope this helps" :confused::rolleyes::pac:

Thanks for the info. I will have to get a torch and get me head down under the pedals to take a peak. Must the tyre be removed before I can see anything?

Sunday morning typos! :)

From the pics on the other forums, you should be able to see all you need without having to remove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

My thought would be it is a hinge of one sort of another, some sliding parts at any rate.
    So get down under the dash, where the pedals are and apply some lubrication to the hinge or pivot pins. You could use light grase or heavy oil.

Get an old artists brush and coat with oil or grease (oil is handier as you'd have that for the engine anyway.)
    using hte brush, place a swatch on the top side of any pitot points or pushrod contact points or anything that slides.
    You might have to bend the brush into an inverted "J" so when raised from below the bristles are still facing down.

Good luck.

Advertisement