Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Options
  • 06-04-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any opinions on these. I'm going to look at one on Tuesday, its a 2003 one. Anything to watch out for, are they reliable, nice to drive etc.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I had 2 of em' - good cars. Good engine, easy on Diesel etc.
    Easy to service too. Check for uneven tyre wear - the symetry on the suspension set up can go all out on them.
    Check for a good service history - alot of these are ex fleet/ex rep cars and can have a lot of miles on them - i'd want to see a fully stamped book.

Lastly - water ingress. I know of quite a few that took water in @ the drivers door and then filled up the drivers footwell. Very annoying - . Lift the carpet and slide in your finger in under the carpet where the fuel release lever is on the floor near the drivers seat in the footwell. If there is water - walk away.
    Then check for everything else, panel gaps,over spray the lot - as you would with any car purchase.
    Overall, a great car...........very comfy,reliable and easy to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Anyone got any opinions on these. I'm going to look at one on Tuesday, its a 2003 one. Anything to watch out for, are they reliable, nice to drive etc.

Any advice is much appreciated.

http://www.whatcar.com/used-car-look-for.aspx?RT=2602&type=5

Have a look at this website quite helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks for the replies lads.

I was thinking of getting an Avensis too, how would these compare to each other, fuel, power etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Injections give problems on TDCi Mondeos. Expensive to put right I would imagine. Apart from that it's a great car though.

The Avensis is a lovely car too, but it must be the current shape one(the old one was bad when it was a Carina back in 95, which is basically what the old Avensis is). A lot dearer than the Ford to buy used.

The Mondeo has a reputation for being a much better car to drive than the Avensis, however without having driven it I wouldn't state my suspicion as fact. But anyone I've spoken to says there is no contest.

Thanks for the replies lads.

I was thinking of getting an Avensis too, how would these compare to each other, fuel, power etc.

Go Ford, The Toyota is bland, boring and just a toyota at the end of the day.........but then the ford is just a ford too.........but a better car to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

Go Ford, The Toyota is bland, boring and just a toyota at the end of the day.........but then the ford is just a ford too.........but a better car to drive.

A car is just a car i suppose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I put about 48,000 miles on an 01 2.0Tddi 115ps Zetec mondeo in around 18 months. Only problem I ever had was a broken gearbox mounting, and that was due to me taking off in the wet a bit too "spirited" (fixed under dealer warranty).

I could get through a set of front tyres in 12,000 miles as well.

Lovely car to drive. Comfortable to be in for 3-4 hours a day commuting, 550-600 miles from a full tank and more than enough power to keep up on motorways.

Drove a 90ps LX Steel model last week and it wasn't as bad a I thought. Missing the poke of the more powerful units for mid range acceleration, but still a relaxed cruiser on the motorway.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've driven the Mondeo, and was looking to buy one when I came across a bargain 04 2 ltd D4D Avensis. Not the most exciting car maybe, but it looks well and drives nice. Light on fuel as well, and very comfortable. I got the liftback version and the boot is massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Fauldy Banny

MarkR wrote: »
    I've driven the Mondeo, and was looking to buy one when I came across a bargain 04 2 ltd D4D Avensis. Not the most exciting car maybe, but it looks well and drives nice. Light on fuel as well, and very comfortable. I got the liftback version and the boot is massive.

How much did you pay for it, if you dont mind telling.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sure, came up in another thread anyway today. Clicky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

A buddy had one of them Mondeo's. It's got over 200K miles on the clock with full service history. The worst thing that happened was the clutch release slave cylinder packed it in (just as the clutch was going!) a couple of months ago.

The thing is driven to death, and takes it! To give some idea of the punishment it takes, there is a 6mm Aluminium plate acting as a sumpguard (covering engine & box), and that regularly hits the ground!

However, another friend of mine has one and it's given her nothing but grief, with diesel pump, alternator and more small things going wrong.

If you can get a good one, it'll last for ever.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ok thanks lads, some good advice there.

I went out yesterday to look at one. I was talking to the dealer on Thursday evening and he was trying to get me to go out on Friday, he mentioned he would give me a good deal then he mentioned again that I should go out to him on Friday. I thought it a bit strange that he mentioned Friday again, normally in my experience they would not recommend a specific day and not push it either.

Anyway, I went out and the place was closed, a bloke who was working next door told me that they had gone bankrupt and closed on Saturday.

Did I have a lucky escape?

wow - you did indeed - that was fortunate.

Advertisement