Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended kennels?

Options
  • 06-04-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I drove out to the countryside outside Dublin yesterday to inspect a kennels a friend recommended. I really didn't like it, and my dog, when petted by the man running it, had her tail firmly crammed between her legs.

They showed me around the dogs' quarters - fairly clean tiled cubicles with a sliding door that could be opened to let each dog into a concrete outdoor area, and the dogs seemed happy and friendly.

Then they showed me the area for walks - very nice, long private country paths - and a 'play area' of smallish wire-netting-protected garden areas. They said the dogs played in these daily, but there was rather un-trampled-looking grass, which would surely have been flattened if the dogs had been out playing.

My vets recommend a place in Cavan, who send a van to collect your dog or cat; I'm going to go and check that out.

But a friend's vet recommended another place to her as very nice, and her dog came back terrified, with a torn rope around her neck, mad with thirst and trembling for days.

What would be ideal, I suppose, is to find a good dog walker who would also take the dog into his/her own home when I'm away. Not that I need a dog walker. Hmm.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

Hi ya. I do send my two dogs to Kildangan Boarding Kennels in Kildare and have to say I think they prefer it there then at home. We have had them in three times now and the love it, one even put on weight he was being fed that well. They get walked twice a day and they absolutley love the owner. Her prices are very reasonable too.

Good luck.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ooh, thanks, Jessbud.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

luckat wrote: »
    But a friend's vet recommended another place to her as very nice, and her dog came back terrified, with a torn rope around her neck, mad with thirst and trembling for days.

I had a similar experience with my dog. And the kennels had a glowing review on a boards thread like the one jessbud has just given to the kildangen kennels. It makes me wonder if people come on to boards to advertise their own kennels or their friend's kennels.

Probably not - experience just varies. My friend used to send his *very difficult* dog to the country kennel he recommended - the one I visited - and he said the dog used to romp out of the car to get in there.

Either the management has changed or it's a kennel that appeals to a particular type of dog and owner.

But yes, my other friend whose dog came back traumatised - yes, she said the kennel that traumatised her dog was describe as "*very* nice" on some website.

Anyway, I'm not putting my precious pooch in anywhere that I haven't personally seen and liked. And before I put her anywhere for a stretch of a few days, I'll put her in for a day and come and collect her, so she knows that this isn't jail for life.

I'm sure there must be a better model, though. I'd ask the nicest doggy person I meet in the park if she'd take my dog for money, but she's been very ill and wouldn't be up to it, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Just to let jessbud know that I believe her testimony of the kildangen kennels is genuine. It's just that when I hear such a glowing reference for a kennels, I sometimes smell a rat!

In future, I'll be getting someone to stay in the house. I can't put the dog through an experience like that again.

• Advertisement

Oh, that would be great! I wish I knew someone good who'd stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

My vets recommend a place in Cavan, who send a van to collect your dog or cat; I'm going to go and check that out.

The place in Cavan is the Happy Hound and Purfect Puss
    Our dog, who is a spoilt pooch, went there in Dec for a week and loved it. He came back so happy he'll def be staying there again. They even txt you every night to give you an update on the dogs day!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Canine country club in Sallins is great! I drive my 4 dogs all the way from Wicklow to them. They are the only place I'd trust with them.

Thanks for these great suggestions, I'll be checking them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

I used to get a family member to stay with our dogs if we were going out overnight but last year was moving house and the new house wasn't ready for them (had to sort out a run) so put them in the kennels for a week. It was the first time and it was heartbreaking but since then have gone away for two weekends and have left them back in the kennels.
    Hope you find somewhere you feel comfortable with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭creme egg

Would any of you know what the going rate per day is for a small dog (pug) in a kennel?
    We have not put dog into any kennels yet, and are unsure of the price. We also sent dog to training classes and one of the trainers there said her mother looked after 2/3 dogs every now and again, and dog might be better off in a home enviromnent rather than a kennel. So this is why I was wondering the going rate for a kennel, as I don't want to be fleeced by the mother!

Thanks creme egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 moody cow!

These are in Donadea and are a part of The Old Meadows Stud. the girl who runs them is really lovely and she even texts you to let you know how the dogs are getting on!! The accommodation is regular kennels for smaller dogs and stables! for bigger dogs! Our two shared a stables..You might think it rough and ready as they were bedded down in sawdust and straw but it was perfect for our two large-ish hyper dogs! they loved it. Blankets are provided as well but thats neither here nor there with ours!
    Daily runs or walks are given as well twice daily i believe, but our dogs only want the run!!(very much needed and you should have seen them go when they realised how much leg room they would have here!) i don't think they even noticed us when we came to collect them! they thought Rachel was coming to take them out and they were all over her like a rash! Very reasonably priced and definitely the best kennels iv ever sent my dogs to in terms of fun and down to earth good care!! I used to work in a kennels so i have an ok idea of what is goin on with them and got great vibes of this one.
    Sorry for da long post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MAGS M

luckat wrote: »
    I drove out to the countryside outside Dublin yesterday to inspect a kennels a friend recommended. I really didn't like it, and my dog, when petted by the man running it, had her tail firmly crammed between her legs.

They showed me around the dogs' quarters - fairly clean tiled cubicles with a sliding door that could be opened to let each dog into a concrete outdoor area, and the dogs seemed happy and friendly.

Then they showed me the area for walks - very nice, long private country paths - and a 'play area' of smallish wire-netting-protected garden areas. They said the dogs played in these daily, but there was rather un-trampled-looking grass, which would surely have been flattened if the dogs had been out playing.

What would be ideal, I suppose, is to find a good dog walker who would also take the dog into his/her own home when I'm away. Not that I need a dog walker. Hmm.

Any thoughts?
    Hi , Im new to this, There is a pet sitter in Bray who will mind your dog in and around her house, Yuppie Puppie. She is a real dog lover and all the dogs are so relaxed there, I am starting a similar business myself in the south east but wont give any details as people may think im using this forum for business. There are not enough pet sitters in Ireland , unfortunately.

Advertisement